C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about C6's exhaust are auto and manual different sounding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM
chrisrefaei
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about C6's exhaust are auto and manual different sounding?

Im in the market for a used C6, probably a regular vette most likely and have been considering to get a full Corsa Exhaust, then doing long tube headers and Cams. My question though is with the corvette exhaust system if I Just start off with the exhaust for example is there a difference between the sound of the Automatic and Manual Exhaust. It never hit me that the exhaust sound would change just because of differences of the Transmission. Im asking because when I looked into the Description and Features it says "Not acoustically recommended for Automatic Transmissions" On Corsa's website for the Xtreme Axle-back Dual Exhaust systems with Twin 4" Pro-Series Tips http://corsaperformance.com/product_...px?product=892

The only difference I could think of is the small delay when engaging and disengaging the Clutch and shifting to another gear. What else changes. I know that no two cars will sound alike whether you put a auto next to a auto or manual to manual, but how does putting a Auto next to a Manual change the sound? Also couldn't a Auto tranny in manual mode, Mask its self as a Manual sounding just by Taking your foot off the gas and shifting and reapplying the throttle? So it shouldn't really make a difference in that regard. So what gives?? Thanks Guys!!

Last edited by chrisrefaei; 02-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The cruising rpm is different. Some exhausts will resonate like a big dog on an auto car. Hence the warning.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM
chrisrefaei
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jon6.0
The cruising rpm is different. Some exhausts will resonate like a big dog on an auto car. Hence the warning.
They'll be quieter?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Manual drivers tend to keep rpm higher; that's all. You can use an auto in the 'S' mode and use lower gears with the paddles too. But if you lug the engine, it can drone with an auto or manual transmission, since it's rpm related. If you don't want any drone, just buy the 'sport' system, which is loud enough for most.

Last edited by JCtx; 02-14-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 PM
chrisrefaei
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Manual drivers tend to keep rpm higher; that's all. You can use an auto in the 'S' mode and use lower gears with the paddles too. But if you lug the engine, it can drone with an auto or manual transmission, since it's rpm related. If you don't want any drone, just buy the 'sport' system, which is loud enough for most.

Thank You I'll just do that!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to find the answer to this question as soon as I am financially able to. I want the Xtremes on my 07 A6. I do not believe they will drone that badly, but Corsa has a very discerning customer and wanted to possibly offer that warning to protect their reputation.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM
chrisrefaei
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Originally Posted by Pinky...
I am going to find the answer to this question as soon as I am financially able to. I want the Xtremes on my 07 A6. I do not believe they will drone that badly, but Corsa has a very discerning customer and wanted to possibly offer that warning to protect their reputation.
Thank you!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisrefaei
Thank you!!!
Also of note, from what I have read on here, if you have heard the NPP mufflers open, the Xtremes are only a touch louder. Many say they are slightly louder than the stock NPP valves closed exhaust at low RPMs but sound positively evil upon juicing it.

Keep in mind the demographic of the car owners as well. The younger crowd does not mind some drone and noise while the older owners prefer quieter exhausts with some bite upon throttle, which I believe the Sports are. I have heard of one user on here who believed the reviews of the Xtremes and was disappointed after he bought the Sports and found they were similar in dB levels to the stock exhaust until RPMs were brought up.

My suggestion would be to see if you can find any local owners or clubs in your area and see if any members have them. Post in the regional forums.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:54 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by chrisrefaei
been considering to get a full Corsa Exhaust, then doing long tube headers and Cams.
The sound levels will increase with each mod. The best way to determine what is acceptable, is to find someone with the mods you'll end up with and that sounds like you'll want.

Dual mode works for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've noticed some aftermarket axle back systems list two different mufflers for auto and manual transmissioned cars. Dimensionally they are identical, but they recognize the drone syndrome in the automatics and apparently adjust the build specs respectively.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ParisTNDude
I've noticed some aftermarket axle back systems list two different mufflers for auto and manual transmissioned cars. Dimensionally they are identical, but they recognize the drone syndrome in the automatics and apparently adjust the build specs respectively.
I wouldn't bet on the dimensionally identical theory. The cost to build different internals on a muffler is far higher than the cost to make a pipe bend in a different place. Depending on the muffler configuration there can be a clearance issue. For instance, the 3" pipe of a Z06 muffler has almost zero clearance when used on an A6, but works OK on an M6.

Since the engine speed is what creates the drone, neither the auto or manual can avoid passing through that range.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

The auto is louder all they way through the rpm range. I had corsa sports on my 2011
A6 and when I traded for the 12 the I had dealer put my sports on the 12 6m and the interior noise is about 25% more quiet driving and 50% at idle with the stick. That is apples to apples as you can get...

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question about C6's exhaust are auto and manual different sounding?

Quick Reply: Quick question about C6's exhaust are auto and manual different sounding?