C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Lights Staying On

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
bcmvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Lights Staying On

Maybe I'm going crazy but... I just turned the vette off, got out of the car, and walked away, but noticed that 1) the ignition switch on the dash is green, and 2) my interior lights under my rear-view mirror aren't turning off.

I've been waiting about 5 minutes and they're still not off.

The little button on the left bottom of the dash that you can press to turn interior lights is ON, but this should turn off automatically if the car is off, right?

Does the ignition light always go green when you get out of the car and close the door?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

ignition button should be out, not green. it stays green for 10 seconds then go out with all other lights going out. there should be a 20-30 minute timeout where it turns off everything if something does get left on though. i;d restart, turn off again and verify green iginition goes out. or wait the 30 minutes to see what happens

full instructions for 'map lights staying on'.......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1583255310-post1.html

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-02-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bcmvette
The little button on the left bottom of the dash that you can press to turn interior lights is ON, but this should turn off automatically if the car is off, right?
No, press and release the dash dimmer button at your left knee.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
No, press and release the dash dimmer button at your left knee.

It's a common situation that so many of us have experienced since 2004 when he C6s came out LOL.
The dimmer switch doesn't take much effort at all to press so sometimes we hit it by accident and don't even know it until after we get out of the car and wait for the interior lights to go out...and then panic when they DON'T.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

There's no way to turn the stupid interior lights off with a door open... unless you wait for 10 minutes for the battery saver feature to kick in. When I'm going to do something inside the car, like condition the dash leather, clean the interior, etc., I leave the doors open (actually 'closed', but not latched) and in 10 minutes all lights go out.

And yes, if your mirror lights don't go out after a minute max, you need to press that pesky dimming button once, and close the door. They will dim out after said minute.

Last edited by JCtx; 03-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Maybe I'm going crazy but... I just turned the vette off, got out of the car, and walked away, but noticed that 1) the ignition switch on the dash is green, and 2) my interior lights under my rear-view mirror aren't turning off.

I've been waiting about 5 minutes and they're still not off.

Does the ignition light always go green when you get out of the car and close the door?

Is it just the rear view mirror lights on?

Did you turn off the lights using the buttons on the rear view mirror itself?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 PM
bcmvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys - I must have hit that little guy on the left accidentally. I pushed it again and everything's back to normal as far as I can tell. I thought I had an electrical issue on my hands for a second... made my wallet soil itself. cheers
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks guys - I must have hit that little guy on the left accidentally. I pushed it again and everything's back to normal as far as I can tell. I thought I had an electrical issue on my hands for a second... made my wallet soil itself. cheers

I've owned a C6 for 8+ years and have read 15-20 threads here where people did that.

But I still did it one day last summer and didn't realize it until my map lights stayed on and I saw them.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 AM
CaptainChet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I just had this problem tonight and had "that moment" I disconnected the battery and log into the forums knowing I would find the answer by searching. Took awhile but I found this thread and it worked for me.

Thanks to all who posted, thanks to the forums for archiving everything.

Problem solved and battery connected.

Whew.....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CaptainChet
I know this is an old thread but I just had this problem tonight and had "that moment" I disconnected the battery and log into the forums knowing I would find the answer by searching. Took awhile but I found this thread and it worked for me.

Thanks to all who posted, thanks to the forums for archiving everything.

Problem solved and battery connected.

Whew.....
awesome!!! funny thing would have been if you had left the battery connected , when you went back out , if over 20-30 minutes, it would have timed out and they would have been off.. that would have messed with your mind
Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

It's a common situation that so many of us have experienced since 2004 when he C6s came out LOL.
The dimmer switch doesn't take much effort at all to press so sometimes we hit it by accident and don't even know it until after we get out of the car and wait for the interior lights to go out...and then panic when they DON'T.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
There's no way to turn the stupid interior lights off with a door open... unless you wait for 10 minutes for the battery saver feature to kick in. When I'm going to do something inside the car, like condition the dash leather, clean the interior, etc., I leave the doors open (actually 'closed', but not latched) and in 10 minutes all lights go out.

And yes, if your mirror lights don't go out after a minute max, you need to press that pesky dimming button once, and close the door. They will dim out after said minute.
Actually, there is. If you flip the latch closed on the door jam with the door open the lights will go off. You do have to remember to push either of the door open buttons (inside or outside) to open the latch before closing the door though.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Bunk930
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

The map lights in my car will not go off even when I'm driving it.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bunk930
The map lights in my car will not go off even when I'm driving it.
Our manual calls the lights in the mirror.. reading lamps, another section call them map lights, and they are also considered courtesy lights. Whatever, they are the same.

when you press the instrument panel brightness **** (by left knee)
Name: instrument-panel-brightness-****
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...tness-****.jpg

it is supposed to turn on both driver and passenger reading lamps.

NOTE: if your car door is open , get in, close it, wait 30 seconds for courtesy time-out before continuing!

You can press the reading lamps on/off buttons on the mirror all you want and they wont go off, when you have first pressed the panel brightness **** to a ON condition. This is the usual cause of.. "why are my mirror lights staying on".

When the panel brightness **** is pressed to OFF condition, you can then turn on/off either reading lamp you wish.

so...

with the car running (and door has been closed for more than 20 seconds) or waiting 20-30 seconds after turning off the car (and leaving door closed)...................

1) if BOTH reading lamps are on and pressing one of them wont turn that one off..
then your instrument panel brightness **** is pressed to the ON condition. press the instrument panel brightness **** once! check to see if pressing the on map light(s) now will turn it/them on/off (it should).

2) if ONLY ONE reading lamp is on and one is off and the one on wont turn off..
A) then the off reading lamp is burnt out (or non functional) and brightness **** has been pressed into the ON condition, press the instrument panel brightness **** once! check to see if pressing the map light now will turn it on/off (it should).
B) the panel brightness **** is in OFF condition and one reading lamp is stuck in ON. (should not happen unless the map light button is broken) in which case the 20-30 minute timeout will turn it off. WARNING: any light you turn on AFTER turning off ignition, will NOT timeout after 20-30 minutes!

according to the manual.............................

Your vehicle has a feature to help prevent you from draining the battery in case the underhood lamp, vanity mirror lamps, cargo lamps, reading lamps, console or glove box lamps are accidentally left on.

If you turn off the car and happen to leave any of these lamps on, they will automatically time-out after about 20 minutes. (i tested mine and mine stayed on for 30 minutes)

The battery saver does NOT work if the headlamps are turned on AFTER the ignition switch is turned to off (i think this applies to interior lighting too, but havent tested that).
The following 2 users liked this post by ChevyDave:
High Altitude Vette (05-21-2017), jma57 (01-22-2017)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Bunk930
Instructor

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

None of these procedures worked. The only way it will turn off is the battery saver. Could the switch be bad?
The following users liked this post:
tj350x (04-24-2019)
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Bunk930
Instructor

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

The only way it will turn off is when the battery saver times out.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 PM
william43
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunk930
The only way it will turn off is when the battery saver times out.
My mirror lights will go off like they should, went out in the Garage one night with the Garage lights off, and saw the mirror lights on very very dim. I did every thing to think of to turn them off. But to this day they still stay on. For some reason it does not run the battery down.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Bunk930
Instructor

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys it's fixed... I have no patience lol
Old 01-22-2017, 04:15 PM
jma57
Advanced

Thank you ChevyDave! I'm new to Corvettes and to the forum. The first time I needed help, found it in seconds, fantastic!

Last edited by jma57; 01-22-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Lights Staying On

Quick Reply: Interior Lights Staying On