C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads vs. Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Mainer12
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads vs. Track Day

Im sure this has already been chewed over, but I am going to Summit Point for my first track day in my 2012 Grand Sport. I have 4-30m sessions. I have been there before with my G35 and I had a big brake kit on it no problem for the brakes. I was wondering will the Grand Sport oem brake pads hold up or do I need to get a dedicated pad. I will prob only do this once or twice a year. This is only my third time there. If I do need pads what would you recommend. I also have SSBlines and super ATE blue fluid. Tires are at about 50% got the fire extinguisher and helmet. If possible would love a hybrid pad that I can use on the track and the road (prob wishful thinking). Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

depends on how hard you are going to go for it!.. if you are going to be threshold breaking or close to it, you will get really hot and the brakes will fade. The DOT 4 is a must.. I would suggest at least looking at a Hawk track style pad or Raybestos.. plenty of threads on here and there are many models to choose from. Look for something geared towards beginner track days as you say "I don't brake that hard"..

If you're not breaking hard then you are not accelerating hard! Isn't that kinda the point of going to the track?? Just my ten cents..

have fun and enjoy.. then it's worth it as long as nobody comes home with any 'modifications'.. My three track-day rules.. go fast, stay safe, no modifications while AT the track.....
Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Depends on your skill level. My first three 20 minute sessions at Inde Motorsports Ranch I was nowhere near fade. My fourth 20 minute session I got fast enough that I got some fade even with the ATE Super Blue brake fluid. I have a base model though.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 AM
gp2race
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I drive pretty nutty on the track...stocks pad will last me 6 hard braking and fading begins.
Carbotech is what I recommend Xp10 or Rp2. They're a bit noisy going slow around town and worth every penny on track. They last me 14k miles street and track usage.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Once or twice a year you'd probably be fine with the OEMs. I'd probably look into a dedicated track pad to swap out though. Hawk's Hp Plus would be a good choice.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Mainer12
Im sure this has already been chewed over, but I am going to Summit Point for my first track day in my 2012 Grand Sport. I have 4-30m sessions. I have been there before with my G35 and I had a big brake kit on it no problem for the brakes. I was wondering will the Grand Sport oem brake pads hold up or do I need to get a dedicated pad. I will prob only do this once or twice a year. This is only my third time there. If I do need pads what would you recommend. I also have SSBlines and super ATE blue fluid. Tires are at about 50% got the fire extinguisher and helmet. If possible would love a hybrid pad that I can use on the track and the road (prob wishful thinking). Thanks
How hard are you on brakes?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you are asking a lot from oe pads at the track. get some track day pads - hawks, carbotech ... (your choice) hopefully ss brake lines and flush the fluid. better safe than sorry, then you will have something to drive home in.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mainer
I also think you will be alright w/ the stock pads for now. The more experienced you get, the deeper you want to brake, and that asks alot more of the stock system.
If you went to SP today for the FATT, I missed you. I sometimes instruct for them.
If you're going this weekend for the SCCA-PDX, look me up and I can offer alot of advice from my own experiences. I will be driving the white Viper.
Or send a PM before you go out again.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pads vs. Track Day

Quick Reply: Brake Pads vs. Track Day