C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Top not closely completely

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Top not closely completely

Searched the forums and couldn't get a fix. Here's the issue, about a week ago I noticed the flip lid was not sitting flush on the passengers side when top was down. No big deal, just a rattle here and there, top worked. Two days ago I started putting the top up and it stopped right after lid closed, leaving the top halfway closed. I but it back down with no issue, but same result when trying to close again. Drove it to my warehouse, as it was about to rain, pulled it inside and tried the top again, same issue. So I left it like that and jumped online to research. Found the release valve fix to get it down and went for that. When i got to the car the top had fallen into place. This was about after 10 minutes. So I closed it all the way. Then i couldn't get the trunk open with the FOB or release button. After 5 minutes it started opening again. Tried re-indexing windows, no help. Now when I open or close the lid scrapes the window, then top stops halfway going up, but goes all the way down. The lid does not sit flush on either side now. I tightened and un-tightened the relief valve. Same issue. Is there anything else I can try? Doing it manual isn't that big a deal, I'd rather have the power option working.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

As you found, power top problems are difficult and expensive to resolve unless you are under warrenty which you are not judging by your year. I was going to suggest two things. Loosing and tightening the value was the first thing. The second was that these things have so many sensors and computers that unplugging the battery for a while (10 minutes or so) and then reindexing the windows.

The only place I found is a stealership that can work on these things but I'd rather burn it up than take it to them. It will be super expensive. If you have time and patience, some skill and a LOT of luck and the Helms service manual you may be able to figure it out. Bone yards are a good source of these expensive parts.

I know the trunk and top are interconnected and the trunk may be locked from opening if the computer does not think things are set right. A common issue is that the divider partition in the trunk is not locked in properly and that prevents the thing from operating.

Last edited by Flame Red; 03-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:59 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Be careful driving the car when the tonneau cover (I think what you called the 'flip lid') is not closed all the way. At least one person on here had the wind rip his open, fold it over and do lots of damage. The top operates with a series of limit switches that operate one after the other. When the top gets to a certain spot, it trips a limit switch, letting the computer know to move on to the next sequence. If one goes bad, the top will not progress to the next part of the movement.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:46 PM
h8bumps
Intermediate

I had a similar issue last year. For my issue, I found that there's a limit switch in the rear passenger corner. If you open the "flip top" and fold up the rear window section, and stand outside the car behind the passenger door, you can lean in and see a limit switch in this area. On my car, the part that contacts the limit switch had "jumped" to the wrong side of the limit switch. I just popped it back over to the correct side of the limit switch, and it fixed the problem.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by bheathcoe_07
Searched the forums and couldn't get a fix. Here's the issue, about a week ago I noticed the flip lid was not sitting flush on the passengers side when top was down. No big deal, just a rattle here and there, top worked. Two days ago I started putting the top up and it stopped right after lid closed, leaving the top halfway closed. I but it back down with no issue, but same result when trying to close again. Drove it to my warehouse, as it was about to rain, pulled it inside and tried the top again, same issue. So I left it like that and jumped online to research. Found the release valve fix to get it down and went for that. When i got to the car the top had fallen into place. This was about after 10 minutes. So I closed it all the way. Then i couldn't get the trunk open with the FOB or release button. After 5 minutes it started opening again. Tried re-indexing windows, no help. Now when I open or close the lid scrapes the window, then top stops halfway going up, but goes all the way down. The lid does not sit flush on either side now. I tightened and un-tightened the relief valve. Same issue. Is there anything else I can try? Doing it manual isn't that big a deal, I'd rather have the power option working.
bheathcoe 07,

The other posters offers some great possible options. However, if the issue persists, I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for additional assistance. They will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code for a listing.

Louis (assisting Evan)
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

The partition is in place, I even hit that with my finger a few times.

Battery is disconnected now. Waiting for 10-15 to see what happens.

h8bumps (funny name BTW) - Think I located the switch you refer to. It's connected to a pin and seems to be in the correct spot. I disconnected and rotated a few times without any luck.

I don't drive with top down since this has happened. I figured at a good speed that flip lid would pop up. Kinda like when you don't close the hood all the way on front latch vehicles.....had a bad experience in a Capri back in high school.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

Disconnected battery for 15 minutes, re-indexed and same issue, plus the trunk won't open at all now. And of course my tool bag is in the trunk!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If the computer does not think that the tonneau is completely closed, it will not allow the trunk to be opened...it wants to keep you from scraping one against the other. You can easily get your toolbag out by opening the trunk manually with your metal key. Make sure the car is unlocked when you do this or the horn/alarm will go off.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:26 AM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

The trunk opened after about 10 minutes. Didn't think of using the key, good idea.

I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to reset. When I reconnected all my settings were still there (radio, seat....) except for the side mirrors which were pointed straight down. Did I not leave the battery disconnected long enough to reset the computer?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by bheathcoe_07
I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to reset. When I reconnected all my settings were still there (radio, seat....) except for the side mirrors which were pointed straight down. Did I not leave the battery disconnected long enough to reset the computer?
A battery disconnect should only require that the windows be reindexed.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 PM
bheathcoe_07
Advanced

I have looked at the limit switch, disconnected battery, re-indexed windows and traced everything I can think of and no luck. The tonneau cover doesn't sit flush with the top down, but when closing it it will sit flush??? Again, it closes right to the point the tonneau closes and them stops with the back window portion up and the top halfway down. If I wait for about 2 minutes they both drop into place. But then the trunk won't open for 10 minutes, even with using the key. REALLY frustrating.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Top not closely completely

Quick Reply: Power Top not closely completely