C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another fob programming FAIL!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another fob programming FAIL!!

Hey guys I have a 2006 vette that I've been trying like hell to get to program my replacement fob to. When I bought the car it only came with a #2 fob so I purchased a #1 fob but I cant get the #1 fob to program to the car. I've researched EVERY thing on google to get it to work. Does anyone have any ideas how to get this fob to work with my car?

I've also tried to do the long procedure and I cant ever get my DIC to display "off/acc to learn" so I am unable to try the long procedure. I have verified that my glove box slot works so that hopfully is not an issue here.

These are the latest steps I've found but did not work for me...

1. With a recognized FOB and the key attached to the fob (no other recognized or unrecognized fobs within 20 ft of the vehicle) start the vet and back it out of your garage.

2. Pull the vet back into the garage..leave the vet running.

3. With the vet still running pull up on the emergency brake.

4. With the vet still running open and leave open the glove box door.

5. With the vet still running open the drivers door (and leave open for the rest of this procedure)

6. Shut the vet off as you normally do. DO NOT GO TO ACC mode.

7. Press the hatch dash button once to unlatch the hatch. Do not raise the hatch..just leave the hatch unlatched.

8. WIth the key attached to the fob (AND NO OTHER FOBS within 20 ft) insert the key (with the fob attached) into the hatch lock assembly and turn the key fully 5 times as fast as you can (ensuring a complete turn each time). LEAVE KEY WITH FOB ATTACHED IN THE HATCH LOCK. You should get a DIC message 'Ready to program FOB 3).

9. Go get the unrecognized FOB (should still be 20 ft away) and place the unrecognized fob into the slot in the glove box with FOB buttons facing away from the driver. (I did this in about 10 to 15 seconds from getting the message)

10. Very quickly (I estimate 5 sec) the DIC will read READY FOR FOB 4. At this point push the ACC ignition switch. The DIC will go blank.

11. Immediately pull out the newly programmed FOB from the glove box slot and start pressing the newly programmed FOB buttons. At first you may not believe the buttons are doing anything but continue to press them and you will notice the hatch unlocking and the lights blinking (if you have this set up when you lock using the fob).

12. The new FOB is now programmed. I recommend you place all of the fobs 20ft away and try EACH ONE (not just the new one). You will also notice that when you use the new fob (now fob 3) to start the car the radio, hvac, is no longer set to your liking.....My radio was tuned to a station I have neve listened to but as soon as I used my original fob all came back

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

procedure to follow...
note, if you have a canadian or european version car, programming may be required at a dealership. also after you program each fob, press the unlock button on thr fob just programmed. make sure you have no interference caused by a phone,charger,pass card,other misc stuff.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

i cant tell where your from. but , if i remember the rules... canadian version, you can add fobs , just not erase all as in the long procedure, only a dealership can do "erase/add long" version. european version cars, you can NOT "add nor erase" (neither short nor long version) and a dealership must do it.

try the link short programming (steps 1 to 10), and let us know if you at least get "Ready for fob" in step 6.

note that in step 5 , you must turn as many times as needed to get the car to count 5 good turns in 5 seconds, it doesnt care how many times you turn, it counts good ones. if your not getting a good 5 count, try wd-40 spray in the hatch key lock, loosen it up, try again. if you have a manual , it has to be in reverse, auto in park.

note that here is a post, unusual case, but for them it worked so adding it here..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

i'm adding a second fob programming instructions.. right now the link is failing, but i assume he will fix it soon.
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-26-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 AM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
procedure to follow...
note, if you have a canadian or european version car, programming may be required at a dealership. also after you program each fob, press the unlock button on thr fob just programmed. make sure you have no interference caused by a phone,charger,pass card,other misc stuff.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

i cant tell where your from. but , if i remember the rules... canadian version, you can add fobs , just not erase all as in the long procedure, only a dealership can do "erase/add long" version. european version cars, you can NOT "add nor erase" (neither short nor long version) and a dealership must do it.

try the link short programming (steps 1 to 10), and let us know if you at least get "Ready for fob" in step 6.

note that in step 5 , you must turn as many times as needed to get the car to count 5 good turns in 5 seconds, it doesnt care how many times you turn, it counts good ones. if your not getting a good 5 count, try wd-40 spray in the hatch key lock, loosen it up, try again. if you have a manual , it has to be in reverse, auto in park.

note that here is a post, unusual case, but for them it worked so adding it here..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

i'm adding a second fob programming instructions.. right now the link is failing, but i assume he will fix it soon.
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I can get everything to work with the short procedure. I can get the car to say ready for fob #3. It appears to take the fob because it will then say ready for fob #4, I then hit the lower half of the start button and hit the unlock button on the fob and it still doesnt work. I hear the dreadful clicking and then it shows on the DIC that no fob is detected.

I'm in South Dakota and the car originally came from Boston MA. I dont think its a Canadian car but I dont know how to verify this.

Last edited by zildjianz06; 03-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

I looked in your profile to see what kind of car you have (coupe, vert, Z06) and where you're located, but no info in there.

So.....is your 2006 a base coupe, a convertible, or a Z06??

If it's a base coupe, can you open the hatch with the key?

If the key won't open the hatch then the cable from the key lock to the latch is either not hooked up, or the latch mechanism is too stiff and not turning completely.

On the coupe with the auto pull down latch the programming signal is generated by a switch inside the latch mechanism, so if the cable from the lock isn't attached properly to the latch or the latch mechanism is stiff and binding up, the signal won't be sent to the BCM to put the car into the programming mode.

A vert or early Z06 has a manual latch and the programming signal is generated by a switch in the key lock cylinder itself.

In the picture above, the lock/cable on top has wires coming out of the key lock cylinder. It's used in a vert or early Z06 with the manual latch. If those wires aren't hooked up correctly to the wire harness in the car then the programming signal won't be sent properly.

The lock/cable on the bottom is from an auto pull down latch and the cable pulls the release inside the latch mechanism in the cargo compartment, and when it does that it also activates a switch inside the latch that will send the programming signal.

Bob
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Disregard my previous post!!

I see you posted a response while I was typing, and I see you're able to get the "ready for fob 3" message, so obviously turning the key is getting the signal sent properly.

Bob
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Are you sure the battery in the new FOB is good? Just something to check.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

good news is that it says... ready for fob #4!!!

ok, try putting the newly programmed fob into the glove slot, try to start the car with it in there. maybe you just have a run down battery in the new fob?????????? (agree with above, posted their reply while i was sitting here pondering!!!!!)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 AM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by EVRose
Are you sure the battery in the new FOB is good? Just something to check.
The fob is new from GM, so I hope the battery is good. But I guess you never know. I might have to swap the batteries on the fobs and see if that works.

Would the car recognize the fob and say ready for fob #4 if the battery was dead??
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zildjianz06
The fob is new from GM, so I hope the battery is good. But I guess you never know. I might have to swap the batteries on the fobs and see if that works.

Would the car recognize the fob and say ready for fob #4 if the battery was dead??
yes, i understand it will, yep!!!! you can start the car with it in glove slot and have a dead/weak battery too!!!!!!

btw... if the new fob really has been programmed into the car, if you try to program it in again, when it now says 'ready for fob x' , it should be.. 'ready for fob #4' !!!! if you try to program the already programmed fob again, it should then say... "Known FOB”.

if go into add a fob procedure and the car DIC says/.. ready for fob #3... then the car didnt program it the prior time!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-26-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
yes, i understand it will, yep!!!! you can start the car with it in glove slot and have a dead/weak battery too!!!!!!
Ok, thanks for letting me know. Thats probably the problem. I will swap the batteries out tonight and see if that fixes it.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Did you push the unlock button on the FOB to activate it?

Dave has my link to the FOB programming listed. I don't know why it took a dump, as I haven't "moved" the file. I did edit the file to add another "thought" to the steps but the damn link should work.

Just in case: >>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<
Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-26-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Since you obviously wanted a FOB 1 marked as FOB 1 you will not have achieved your goal. If the DIC is showing ready to program FOB 3 then your new FOB will not be programmed as FOB 1. Even if it starts the car it will not have access to all of the DIC functions. I tried all sorts of things to get my new FOB 2 to program as FOB 2 instead of FOB 3 and ended up taking it to the dealer. They thought it would be a breeze and told me I should wait. After a bunch or attempts where it kept programming as FOB 3 I got a ride home since it took them 2 days to get it programmed as FOB 1.

Bill
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since you obviously wanted a FOB 1 marked as FOB 1 you will not have achieved your goal. If the DIC is showing ready to program FOB 3 then your new FOB will not be programmed as FOB 1. Even if it starts the car it will not have access to all of the DIC functions. I tried all sorts of things to get my new FOB 2 to program as FOB 2 instead of FOB 3 and ended up taking it to the dealer. They thought it would be a breeze and told me I should wait. After a bunch or attempts where it kept programming as FOB 3 I got a ride home since it took them 2 days to get it programmed as FOB 1.

Bill
Wrong sized hammer was used. This is a common mistake by many mechanics!

Elmer
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

....I dont think its a Canadian car but I dont know how to verify this.
I doubt it's built to Canadian specs or you have noticed some weird (at least to us U.S. types) gauge calibrations!!

Just take a look at the IPC - if the oil pressure gauge references kPa, the coolant temp gauge has a °C, and the max on the speedometer is 300, then it's a car built to Canadian (or Euro) specs.

Bob
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Did you push the unlock button on the FOB to activate it?

Dave has my link to the FOB programming listed. I don't know why it took a dump, as I haven't "moved" the file. I did edit the file to add another "thought" to the steps but the damn link should work.

Just in case: >>C6 Fob Programming and Glove Box Slot Testing Procedures<<
Elmer
Yes, I found those instructions a few days ago and printed them out. At first I wasn't hitting the unlock button on the fob. I read those directions and I thought that was what I was doing wrong.

It didnt help so I'm still not sure. I'm going to try to stick the fob in the glove box slot and see if it starts the car tonight.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Its weird because I've tried everything over the weekend and gave up. i went to start last night and it came up as "ready for fob 2"

I dont know how it got to fob 2 but at first I was like....alright this is what I've been waiting for. I programmed it, hit the unlock button and nothing. Thats when I figured it was something else. I havent moved the car since so I have no idea how I got it to say "ready for fob 2" I'm guessing I messed with something over the weekend and got it there.

To be honest I just want the extra fob in case I lose my other one. It wont bother me if I dont have the DIC functions.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Yes, I found those instructions a few days ago and printed them out. At first I wasn't hitting the unlock button on the fob. I read those directions and I thought that was what I was doing wrong.

It didnt help so I'm still not sure. I'm going to try to stick the fob in the glove box slot and see if it starts the car tonight.
Man, it sure sounds like the car is a "Canada" car. How the hell can we tell if that is the case. VIN?

edit! I see Bob has the answer for "Canada" car. Hm... I wonder if the metric/american can be switched in the DIC?

Nudder edit! The DIC can be set on my 2007 to Metric OR English so not seeing KM on the car doesn't mean it isn't from Canada! (drat)

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Another fob programming FAIL!!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM
zildjianz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Man, it sure sounds like the car is a "Canada" car. How the hell can we tell if that is the case. VIN?

edit! I see Bob has the answer for "Canada" car. Hm... I wonder if the metric/american can be switched in the DIC?

Nudder edit! The DIC can be set on my 2007 to Metric OR English so not seeing KM on the car doesn't mean it isn't from Canada! (drat)

Elmer
Yeah I wondered this too. Does anyone know how to tell if a car is US or Canadian?

I do know the car was ordered by a Boston MA dealership and it stayed in the Massachusetts area until it went to an auto auction and I bought it from a dealer after that. I’m guessing its not Canadian but I guess you never know.

Edit, I see Bob's notes. No my car doesn't have any of those so its definitely a US car.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Its weird because I've tried everything over the weekend and gave up. i went to start last night and it came up as "ready for fob 2"

I dont know how it got to fob 2 but at first I was like....alright this is what I've been waiting for. I programmed it, hit the unlock button and nothing. Thats when I figured it was something else. I havent moved the car since so I have no idea how I got it to say "ready for fob 2" I'm guessing I messed with something over the weekend and got it there.

To be honest I just want the extra fob in case I lose my other one. It wont bother me if I dont have the DIC functions.
note: Canadian you can add fobs, just not delete them. European you cant do either. European would have headlight washers and other stuff that would be VERY obvious!

strange. if it had said 'ready for fob 2' and then later on another attempt it said 'ready for fob 3' , that shouldnt happen.

if a fob is already programmed, it will say... 'known fob'.

well, yea, try to start the car with the new fob in the glove slot. if it starts then its probably the fob battery.

if the new fob doesnt start in the slot , i'd try one thing before opening up and replacing battery in the fob. try a quick programming add again. pretend your adding the new fob (again) and if it says.. 'ready for fob 4' you should get 'known fob' when you try to program with the new fob. anyway, its a way to verify fob is actually programmed!!!!

hummm... so what if...
the new fob battery is weak/dead.
#1 you do add procedure , it says 'ready for fob 3', so you do it,
#2 then it says 'ready for fob 4',
#3 so you take out new fob from slot, press unlock (or all buttons),
#4 but the battery is too weak/dead so it doesnt finalize programming!!!!!
i would assume you could try procedure from the start again and you would loop back to #1 because the fob battery didnt finalize procedure and it actually didnt get programmed permanently

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Do you see it get to Step #9?

Step 9
Put key in trunk keyhole and turn the key five times in less than 5 seconds.
NOTE: Make sure NO old FOBs are anywhere near the car. THIS IS IMPORTANT! ANY FOBS!!!
DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn”

Step 10
Push bottom half of the Start button.
NOTE: You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns. If you have autolock, keep a window open to keep access to car.
DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes.
DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”

Step 11
Push bottom half of Start button again.
DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes
DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”

And so on...

Elmer

Quick Reply: Another fob programming FAIL!!