C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

** New Product C6 Ram Air Kit available from Top Flight Reproductions **

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 01:14 PM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 AM
Mloredo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well made intake.. I still haven't installed it yet.. Hopefully I will this week.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Mloredo
Well made intake.. I still haven't installed it yet.. Hopefully I will this week.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Wallacefl
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Enterprisehunter
Don' t worry u will b able to tune it out. I have the ram air and never had surge but got headers and tuned after. Everything is great u will gain over 50 hp.
How do you tune out surging? Didn't Callaway have to develop and sell some sort of a "deflector" to get rid of this with their Honker? I e-mailed TopFlight about this potential and never got a response
Old 06-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Wallacefl
How do you tune out surging? Didn't Callaway have to develop and sell some sort of a "deflector" to get rid of this with their Honker? I e-mailed TopFlight about this potential and never got a response
I did not receive an email from you asking this question, we have not had any complaints about surging
Old 07-16-2015, 07:39 PM
2008 AtomicOrange
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstewart
We are not going to settle this. Obviously the distributor and MFG. of this system are convinced it is a ram air system as well as a CAI.

Doesn't fit my definition of a true ram air system like the Vararam. I am sure there are plenty of folks that will buy the version they are pushing.
I WON'T BE ONE OF THEM... When you bring me to your product with smoke and mirrors, you will never see a dime of my money. Your marketers are going to find a tough time on this forum if this is how you sell a CAI system.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I had a vr system and didn't care for the poor fit and finish where the two parts clamped together. I have one of these on my heads cam c6 and I couldn't be happier. Fit/finish is excellent and it has the largest panel filter available. From a performance standpoint it's really splitting hairs since so little is gained from a cai anyways. One to three tenths isn't much to obsess over. By running this intake I was able to lose the vr scoop so my trans cooler is now front and center for my stall converter.i like the idea of the VR I just wish they would clean the design up some for a leak free fit.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:16 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 2008 AtomicOrange
I WON'T BE ONE OF THEM... When you bring me to your product with smoke and mirrors, you will never see a dime of my money. Your marketers are going to find a tough time on this forum if this is how you sell a CAI system.
I've been waiting 2 years for some dragstrip times from buyers of this system. All I've ever seen in the same 2 ads that get recycled and a couple of independent dyno results that don't relate to real world performance.

It looks really nice, but so did my first wife. Failure to perform as expected is why we're no longer married.

I'm no longer interested in the product.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:03 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

I'll keep my home made "ram air" that actually rams air

Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
I had a vr system and didn't care for the poor fit and finish where the two parts clamped together. I have one of these on my heads cam c6 and I couldn't be happier. Fit/finish is excellent and it has the largest panel filter available. From a performance standpoint it's really splitting hairs since so little is gained from a cai anyways. One to three tenths isn't much to obsess over. By running this intake I was able to lose the vr scoop so my trans cooler is now front and center for my stall converter.i like the idea of the VR I just wish they would clean the design up some for a leak free fit.
Hard to believe this controversy is still around. This CAI got questioned from the jump and I was part of that. Top flight sent me a free intake for testing and because of first a full right knee replacement due to a motorcycle accident and then a cancer diagnosis it took me quite some time before I got the system installed (replaced a VR intake). I never did get the system dyno tested either which I had promised to do originally. Whether it would have made 35 RWHP more than a stock intake I could not have said since I already had a VR installed on the car. The 25 to 28 HP it achieved in an independent dyno test with no dyno tune was substantially more than I saw with either of the other two CAI's I have had on my car. The member here who insisted he get a full refund because he didn't achieve the full 35 HP and had spent $400 on the dyno testing flat out lied about the cost he incurred for the install & testing. I know because I called the shop that did the dyno testing and asked the owner. Top flight was very understanding considering the personal medical issues I had at the time and never asked for a dime which was pretty generous considering I could not fulfill my end of the bargain.

That being said I have been very happy with this system. The quality was by far the best of the 3 CAI systems I have had on my 08 C6 and the install instructions were excellent as promised. As stated above the filter size is substantially larger on the top flight CAI than either of the two systems I previously tried.

I could never keep the VR system sealed properly because the two halves would not stay sealed due to inadequate foam seals and one latch that refused to stay latched. VR refused to replace the unit under warranty blaming it on the install. The install was not the problem. Apparently I am not the only customer that had a problem with the VR system sealing up properly.

Last edited by jstewart; 01-03-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Hard to believe this controversy is still around. This CAI got questioned from the jump and I was part of that. Top flight sent me a free intake for testing and because of first a full right knee replacement due to a motorcycle accident and then a cancer diagnosis it took me quite some time before I got the system installed (replaced a VR intake). I never did get the system dyno tested either which I had promised to do originally. Whether it would have made 35 RWHP more than a stock intake I could not have said since I already had a VR installed on the car. The 25 to 28 HP it achieved in an independent dyno test with no dyno tune was substantially more than I saw with either of the other two CAI's I have had on my car. The member here who insisted he get a full refund because he didn't achieve the full 35 HP and had spent $400 on the dyno testing flat out lied about the cost he incurred for the install & testing. I know because I called the shop that did the dyno testing and asked the owner. Top flight was very understanding considering the personal medical issues I had at the time and never asked for a dime which was pretty generous considering I could not fulfill my end of the bargain.

That being said I have been very happy with this system. The quality was by far the best of the 3 CAI systems I have had on my 08 C6 and the install instructions were excellent as promised. As stated above the filter size is substantially larger on the top flight CAI than either of the two systems I previously tried.

I could never keep the VR system sealed properly because the two halves would not stay sealed due to inadequate foam seals and one latch that refused to stay latched. VR refused to replace the unit under warranty blaming it on the install. The install was not the problem. Apparently I am not the only customer that had a problem with the VR system sealing up properly.
Thank you for your comments John
Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Well I do not believe the power gains at all.

Having said this though I do believe in the quality statements. I did run the Vararam for a while. Took it off for a few reasons with one being the poor fitment and just a pain to work with all the time checking the closure etc.

Thinking most CAI's are about equal power wise i would go with the best design fitment wise. Surging was an issue for me with the Vararam, although slight, it was present and I could not live with it.

Last edited by Boomer111; 02-26-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

25RWHP seems pretty good to me
Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
To start, I'll say this post isn't meant to validate or attack the claims. I'm just hoping to add some perspective. I'm far from an expert in fluid dynamics, but I do have a degree in mechanical engineering, did pretty well in my classes relating to the subject (including some masters level ones) and a lot of my work experience was with airflow (powertrain development, powertrain cooling, etc) and I spent some time in wind tunnels (not a whole lot though).

The idea that ram air, whether it be induced by a WS6 type snout or by placing the intake in some other high pressure area, will make more power is silly.

Compressing air via car velocities is just ineffective. A long time ago, I worked out the numbers. I can't remember exactly what the numbers worked out to, but "ram air" at 75mph, under perfect conditions and ignoring the speed of the air going through and etc, worked out to some very very nominal PSI bump. It was something like running 0.02lbs of boost. Take into account real world factors and it's practically zero. I think it worked out to driving on a day when the air was 1 degree cooler. Don't quote me on exact numbers; the moral of the story here is that under the most ideal conditions, it's still ineffective.

35rwhp is a lot of power. That takes a lot of extra air. That means this is one hell of a restriction. The z06, with it's bigger cam and better heads and bigger displacement and bigger valves and better exhaust and etc, etc, etc is about 60 rwhp difference. So the restriction in the intake is so bad that it makes up for half of the difference there?

The real question lingering in my mind is why GM would restrict the intake side. Did they go out of their way to make less power and, in theory, get worst gas mileage? There is no benefit to intake side restrictions, unlike exhaust (noise, emissions, getting cats hot quickly, etc).

It's just really, really hard to believe it's gaining that much power. If the vendor wants, I'm more than happy to buy one on my own dime and take it to a dyno on their dime. I have a 100% bone stock LS3 with 15k miles on it. If I can get even 25rwhp for $500, I'm absolutely thrilled.
Totally agree. My problem with this whole
Thing is that how the heck they measured this 35 hp increase on a chassis dyno where the car is not moving, all it has is a cooling fan in front of it. This set up could never measure ram air ( which i also think is non existent) and even hp increase due to cooler IAT. this would only exist if there was a huge restriction on the intake track, 35 hp worth? I highly doubt it. GM would have never left that kind of hp on the table on the intake side. The filter? Good old Donaldson flows enough air for LS7 and LS9. Therefore no filter will produce results like this either. Engine based on its design parameters will take in the air it needs, unless you improve the efficiency of that pump by pistons, camshaft, headers first it will not accept anymore.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

C6 Ram Air Kit

Our Ram Air intakes are all about improving airflow to your Corvette's engine. It's just a matter of superior design. Better airflow translates into a noticeable increase in power, acceleration and most importantly...bragging rights.

Any power modifications (i.e., cylinder heads, camshaft, headers, exhaust, programming, etc.) that increases horsepower output demand the higher airflow capacity of the Ram Air intake.

Back it up with test results. Airflow test Results for the C6 Corvette flowed 35% more airflow than the original factory intake system. The chassis dyno tests indicated an increase of 15 rwhp on an otherwise-stock LS2. The C6 Ls3 performance increased by 35 rwhp. All that by installing the Ram Air intake into a stock C6 coupe.

Factory

Ram Air Kit

Click Here to Buy
http://www.topflightrepro.com/corvet...formance.shtml
Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I finally did what I promised way back when this thread started and had my car dyno tested. This unfortunately was not the before/after testing I was supposed to do but I can attest that this intake flows well enough to support 532HP/483TQ on my stock displacement LS3. and I expect it will flow enough to make over 475HP when I install a 4" stroker
crank in it next winter.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I bet the Millennials will buy this "Ram Air" design...lol!!!

Last edited by 2L8LUZ; 09-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

I finally did what I promised way back when this thread started and had my car dyno tested. This unfortunately was not the before/after testing I was supposed to do but I can attest that this intake flows well enough to support 532HP/483TQ on my stock displacement LS3. and I expect it will flow enough to make over 475HP when I install a 4" stroker
crank in it next winter.
Thank you John

Quick Reply: ** New Product C6 Ram Air Kit available from Top Flight Reproductions **