C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter and Shifter Box Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Default MGW Shifter and Shifter Box Review

I've had a MGW shifter in my GS for a while. As just about everyone will agree, it is an incredibly well-made and superior piece of engineering. It is definitely one of the best mods you can do.

However, I was never entirely happy with the increased shift effort, which I know is a predictable trade-off for a shorter throw. For this reason, I followed George's thread on his new lower box carefully and decided to give it a shot. Let me tell you - George achieved his objective.

The new box and shifter combination feels like the perfect balance of short throw and shift effort. Downshifting (particularly the 3-2 downshift) used to require substantially increased effort over stock, but with the new box and shifter, the effort is virtually the same as stock, but with the much more positive action and the shorter throw for which the MGW is already well known. In addition, while I never experienced some of the reported noise issues with my previous shifter, I am happy to report this one too is without vibration or noise.

Nice work George. Great piece of engineering. Along with my FSD shocks, the MGW box and shifter are the best mods I've done to my GS.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Glad to here this. I already received my shifter and box from George, now I'm waiting for a new body color interior trim kit from West Coast Corvettes. I figured I only want to do that job once.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed the lower box plus the shifter kit over the weekend and are also very pleased with the package. I noticed the jig that came along to center the shift cup did not fit my OEM '05 cup, I had to use the video reference to center it.

I didn't realize how sloppy the OEM shifter was until I installed the MGW. The only thing I noticed that sixth gear was a little tight to get into, might have to break it in.

Great videos!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Great news guys. Next one I install will be with the new box, but for the present I am very happy with the MGW I installed several years ago. When I installed that one, I bought and installed a new GM box at the same time which helped with the success of my results. The rubber bushings on the old box, both mount and shift rod were cooked and shredded. George's products are top notch engineered gems.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a metal or harder material bushing replacement? My shifter is getting very mushy.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USAF-Vette
Is there a metal or harder material bushing replacement? My shifter is getting very mushy.
I believe Zip Products (zip-corvette.com) offers polyurethane mount bushings. Rubber replacements can be found at jwmotoring.com and west coast corvettes. The mount bushings are the only replaceable bushings. The ones inside the box aren't available and require a new box to be purchased.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
I believe Zip Products (zip-corvette.com) offers polyurethane mount bushings. Rubber replacements can be found at jwmotoring.com and west coast corvettes. The mount bushings are the only replaceable bushings. The ones inside the box aren't available and require a new box to be purchased.
So you are saying that if I only replace the mount bushings, shown in Zip-Corvette's site, I may still have a mushy feel on my shifter? Is the only way to get a rock solid feel by buying a new box, aside from smoothness?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't say what changing the mount bushings will feel like to you. Only you knows what you mean by a mushy feel. I do know that worn mount bushings allow the whole box to move around when shifting causing missed or difficult shifts. Shift difficulties also occur when the inside shift rod bushings are shredded and allow play in the shift rod. Mount bushings are cheap. If it was me, I'd buy some, pull out the box and inspect it; if the shift rod bushings are OK, I'd put in the new mount bushings and see if you end up with a good shifting result. If you totally want to eliminate the box from being a problem, buy a new box for about $160 at gmpartshouse.com or other vendor, which comes complete with new mount bushings and a new stock shifter; or better yet, spend more bucks and spring for an MGW short shifter and box. The MGW route is much more expensive but in my opinion it's the ultimate option.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Got it! The rod bushing is the one that is NOT replaceable, correct?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Got it! The rod bushing is the one that is NOT replaceable, correct?
Right. There are actually two, one at the front of the box and one at the rear. The rod slides back and forth through them. They look like O-rings.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:32 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered my lower!! Cannot wait!! I have been through 2 lower OEM's. The sh*tty rubber O rings keep wearing out. I always get that dreaded grind form 1/2 shifts. Look forward to getting this in and done. Been waiting for it..
I love the shifter otherwise, best I've had to date on 3 Vettes.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:48 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperchargedStroker
I have been through 2 lower OEM's. The sh*tty rubber O rings keep wearing out. I always get that dreaded grind form 1/2 shifts.
May I ask you after how many miles? And do you get the grind cold, hot, or both? My '12 GS 'crunches' on the 1-2 shift since day 1, but only when cold. Checked the box, and obviously looked good with only 500 miles. Lubed it, and retightened all 3 bolts, including the rod collar, so it should be aligned properly. After car travels a few miles, it shifts perfectly. Pretty annoying, but am very happy with the stock shifter as soon as the tranny heats up. Wondering if you had the same issue, or a different one. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:25 AM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
May I ask you after how many miles? And do you get the grind cold, hot, or both? My '12 GS 'crunches' on the 1-2 shift since day 1, but only when cold. Checked the box, and obviously looked good with only 500 miles. Lubed it, and retightened all 3 bolts, including the rod collar, so it should be aligned properly. After car travels a few miles, it shifts perfectly. Pretty annoying, but am very happy with the stock shifter as soon as the tranny heats up. Wondering if you had the same issue, or a different one. Thanks.
Mileage is up there in the 40's. I have had three shifters. The MGW by far is the best. I have the lower on the way, they even upgraded me and all I need to do is send in my old unit. (NO PROB). I get the crunch or shift scratch often under track and street hard shots, hot and cold. Its annoying. So much so that I get distracted.
I have done the fluid change and that was a great diff, but the shifter is the issue. (BOX LOWER). damn cheap o-rings. This is #2 on the lower for me, bushings changed and all. Its just been there and not going away. I feel this new box has what Id have done, if the tooling available. I will let you know, but expectations are high.
I religiously change fluids and it stays clear too for the sake of saying. The Ranger method.It works!!
Mine fluid, as smooth and clear as glass.
The deal on the shifter upgrade is a great manufacture selling point, all in all, im out 300 bucks but I love that shifter and the man ****. Spot on and I have yet to drive a 6 with near the shift quality even if mine scratches. I'm keepin' the car so I figure, make it right.
Excellent service and response once purchased btw, the woman at MGW was very much concerned I got the right stuff and was very pleasant. I have to say it was an unexpected call and she didnt have to offer up any deal, but did. I was very happy after the call. I deal with manufacturing vendors all day, every day and that was a cool call to verify and even research the date of original sale on the original MGW upper I bought.. Very cool.
My .02..
Old 10-09-2013, 03:20 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperchargedStroker
I will let you know, but expectations are high.
Many thanks man; looking forward to your review. Good luck .
Old 10-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

About 8 months ago I installed the new design MGW shifter on my 2008 corvette with about 50k miles. I was fed up with third gear hang ups and sloppy, rubbery shifter feel. Third gear hang ups were getting worse as time and mileage went on the car. I always used the open palm method so I do not need an instructional video to show me how to shift, especially after 37 years of driving manuals.

During the shifter installation, I noticed that the oem shifter box mounting grommets were worn, cracked and the shifter rod "0" ring seal was dangling on the shifter rod. I replaced the worn grommets and installed the new design shifter. MGW's shifter box was not available at the time, but from talking to George at MGW I knew one would be available soon. The shifter worked great, shorter shifts, more positive engagement and no more 3rd gear hang ups. But something was missing, especially downshifting from 3rd to 2nd felt sloppy at times. I knew from all the reading that the worn "0" ring on the shifter rod was causing the rod to move around during shifts.

So I purchased and installed the MGW shifter box. That was the missing link! The shifts are further improved, shorter, easier and you have that feeling of where the gear gates are at all times, especially downshifting. I did not expect that much of an improvement! My hats off to George at MGW for producing quality products that work!

The oem shifter worked fine for the first couple of years, however through all the heat cycles, the shifter and box deteriorated. I only hope the C7's have a better shifting mechanism because the C6's are inferior.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 10-13-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 AM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I wish the lower box was available two years ago when I bought my MGW shifter I ended up buying the whole shifter assembly from Gene to get the lower box.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadkingC6
I wish the lower box was available two years ago when I bought my MGW shifter I ended up buying the whole shifter assembly from Gene to get the lower box.
That's the only way that you can get the stock shifter box. I agree that it would be nice to be able to get the box separately but then I doubt that GM ever calculated the need for it as a stand-alone unit.

Z//

Get notified of new replies

To MGW Shifter and Shifter Box Review

Old 10-13-2013, 01:34 PM
USAF-Vette
Pro

Is there any paper out there or instructions on how to remove the trim on the console to inspect the shifter and box?
Also, will the new MGW box work with the factory shifter?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 10-13-2013, 05:49 PM
SuperchargedStroker
Burning Brakes

OK, so..
I installed the upper and lower most up to date MGW and here is my take.
VERY, VERY.. NICE!!!
I opted for the extra sheets of sound deadener and that helped but, all in all coming from a stock lower with solid bushings with MGW upper to the new set-up. It just plain rocks.
Very precise. Effort has been reduced. Reverse issue a thing of the past. It drops right in.
I have to say it took a minute or two of driving to get used to getting into first, but once you drive her for a minute, its very clear.
If you have not upgraded, do it. I followed the videos on their site and with a box full of shifter and tools(included!) I had it in in under 30. COmes with an alignment device too!
I love it. I have the taller **** from them from previous and that alone adds to the solid feel. I have been through the gears all day today and is on point!! You can feel a clear reduction or sharpness to the shift. It feels more positive based on previous.
$311.00 well spent.
The package contained everything I needed with the exception of a #40 torx, but I had that handled. Thanks MGW if your listening. I love it!!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Is there any paper out there or instructions on how to remove the trim on the console to inspect the shifter and box?
Also, will the new MGW box work with the factory shifter?

Thanks,

Rick
No, the MGW lower box is designed to mate up perfectly with the newest MGW shifter.

Check here for some instructions:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...l-removal.html

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter and Shifter Box Review