C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help problem changing valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 AM
royalmike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help problem changing valve springs

Problem changing Valve springs using compressor and adaptor and double valve spring compressor tool.
Was I the process of changing my rockers and double valve springs see post [URL="http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech-performance/3271627-yella-terra-rocker-snapped-advice-on-what-to-do-picture-attached.html"] for why
Having a bit of a problem with the spring that I had the broken rocker on.
Connected compressor to removed spark plug taping pressurized pressure at this point is not escaping so assume it has pushed both valves onto seating.
Using my new double spring compressor start tightening down spring, finding that the spring closet to front of car is not moving down at same rate as the spring next to it.
Compressor kicking in and I assume blowing air out of exhaust port, at this point as its late I just backed off spring compressor and will leave to tomorrow.
Having not used compressor to do this sort of job was wondering if I had missed some think or the tool was possibly not on square because regardless I would expect it to compress spring, or alternatively there is damage to the valve or seating and this is what caused rocker to snap.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by royalmike; 05-24-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Some times it helps to smack the retainer with a socket and hammer around the valve stem to help loosen the keepers. To be honest, if you do it right you can even take the retainer off like that.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
royalmike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glen thanks for the reply that what was what I was thinking may be sticking on the retainer I will have a another go later on.Was just a bit worried about droping the valve.
Mike

Last edited by royalmike; 05-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:23 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by royalmike
Glen thanks for the reply that what was what I was thinking may be sticking on the retainer I will have a another go later on.Was just a bit worried about droping the valve.
Mike
Remove the plugs, put the transmission in neutral (if it's a manual) and rotate the engine by hand so that the piston in the cylinder you're working on is at TDC. Then there's no need to use compressed air, and the valve, at worst, will drop ~1/4" and rest on the piston top. Much quicker and easier.

As far as the sticking retainer/locks. As mentioned above, give them a few good taps with a rubber mallet.

Get notified of new replies

To Help problem changing valve springs

Quick Reply: Help problem changing valve springs