C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement air dam: Has anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default Replacement air dam: Has anybody?

tried Rhino lining?/Truck bed lining on these before installation?

I was given a new replacement front air dam when I made a local purchase of a car cover. My driveway is designed in a way that I scrape that front air dam everytime I back into the garage. The dam(no pun intended) thing looks terrible and I am considering taking the air dam to a truck shop and have it done in heavy duty truck bed liner to help with durability and asthetics hopefully. I hear they can even do these things in color. In my past Roush days, we used to have the bottom lip of the front fascia done in a colored truck bed liner and it worked out quite well.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I don't recall hearing of that method.

Keep in mind that the air dam is cheap and easily replaceable, so I don't worry when ours scrapes. I use it as a kind of "getting a little close to the underside of the bumper" warning.

Some people will trim a little (or more) off the bottom of the stock dam, which is probably the best solution if you feel compelled to do something.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
mark2003
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to keep in mind that its better for it to flex some.heavier material might make something else give away.just my thought
Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

definately some good input, thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Some people will trim a little (or more) off the bottom of the stock dam, which is probably the best solution if you feel compelled to do something.
Just let the asphalt do that for you .

Originally Posted by mark2003
You might want to keep in mind that its better for it to flex some.
Absolutely. That thing is going to scrape everywhere except on a flat track. It's less than 3" from the road on my F55 GS. The good news is my front splitter is still pristine .
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
l8-apex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried one of the aftermarket sets. The side sections are stiff plastic; broke the first time they touched my driveway. I then paid a little more for an OEM set which are much more flexible. They are holding up well to daily scraping.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Ever try taking the approach and departure at an angle?

Works for me.

I back out my driveway at the same angle I drove in. Initially, to determine correct angle, I had an extra set of eyes watching while slow and deliberately driving up to avoid air dam contact - no more inadvertent scraping. I use the same principle at any angled roadways, if scraping is unavoidable, it will be at least lessen. But to avoid the chance altogether, I have been known to take alternate routes.

---

To maintain air dam and all plastic in pristine condition, I use C4 by G-techniq - once applied, it will last for several years.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM
360Rocket
Drifting

Ive tried all the angles and if I go very fast it doesnt scrape. But at a respectable back up speed, it scrapes no matter the angle.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

You probably want it to be as weak as possible, not as strong. The more it flexes and moves, the less it's going to wear when it rubs. Also, something has to flex/give. You want the dam to flex and give, not your bumper or the mounting tabs/etc.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 360Rocket
Ive tried all the angles and if I go very fast it doesnt scrape. But at a respectable back up speed, it scrapes no matter the angle.
Hmm....interesting...scrape at all the angles...but while going very fast - doesn't...

Seems to me, the go fast angle will be the one - but only if you can slow down enough to duplicate that.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement air dam: Has anybody?

Quick Reply: Replacement air dam: Has anybody?