C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another AirAid Installed this weekend with Free Shroud mod

Old 06-24-2013, 10:11 AM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another AirAid Installed this weekend with Free Shroud mod

Pics below:

Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Nice car. And you must get fantastic cell service and good water pressure!

Did the new intake make much difference?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
TysonJones
Racer

haha I do indeed. It sure does block some beautiful sunsets though.

It was 100 degrees out the day I took it for a spin afterwards with high high humidity here in oklahoma. It does make a nice sucking sound, and appeared to increase throttle response and more low end power in the fifth and sixth gear on the highway. Didnt really get on it to hard due to the heat, but come cooler weather I definitly hope to feel a difference. As I should, even with such a simple mod. Bigger filter, better plenum design, cold air straight into the filter from the cut shroud. On paper it should make more power that wouldnt show up on a dyno. I'll keep you updated though. The people are airaid are excellent to deal with. I must give them a huge thumbups. No codes were set off either. Ive heard some had surging problems and threw a code, but I had none. I believe it comes down to unhooking the negative battery cable before you do anything and making sure you're very gentle when handling the MAFS.

Thanks for the compliment as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I installed a Blackwing on my '03 and really couldn't tell much performance difference. It made more of a sucking sound though, so it had to be getting more air. But I did see a DROP in gas mileage and it never came back to what it was with the stock filter.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 AM
TysonJones
Racer

Hmm thats interesting. I would think it would gain better hp because it's breathing better. But either way, never been to worried about that. How do you like your blackwing?

I took mine out last night and it seems to just perform smoother, effortlessly. Definitly more response. This was in 82 ish degree temps low humidity last night. SOP hp, i felt I could tell a slight difference, but it did impress me. And for the price and getting rid of the stock piece and a steal at 234, I was all for it. If anyone is interested in the stock filter, it has 2k miles on it. Rarely drive the car and it's as clean as can be. IDK what I'd sell it for but ill take offers. I know its not worth much. But ill be honest, it was very restrictive, as you all know.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I liked the Blackwing OK ... had a bit of a hood closure problem because the hold down clips wouldn't really seat properly though. Might have been an installer (me) error.

I don't have the '03 anymore. Last September, a gal in an SUV pulled out in front of me going 55ish ... I had maybe 30 feet to stop and couldn't ... T-boned her at about 45. Totaled the Vette. Bought my '09 2 weeks later and like it well after I got the rough engine problem fixed. It had about 12K miles on it when I got it in September. I don't plan to do any mods at all on this one. It's fast enough ....
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM
TysonJones
Racer

I had the slp lid obviously on my 02 TA when I first started modding it but decided to go with the volant intake after awhile just because it looked awesome and it was different. Didn't notice a change in hp but it sure did suck some nice cold air with a few free mods to open things up a bit.

But I told myself I wouldnt mod anything on my Grand sport, but it finally bit. But it is definitly fast enough. I plan to just do a cushion arm rest next and some billet caps for under the engine, and probabley headers/tune down the road just so these new c7's aren't overwhelming but these seem to be right in line with what our cars run. At least the LS3's from the specs I've seen. We'll just have to see though. Once I Get some better tires it'll be another huge gain, not in the aspect of hp, but putting it to the ground. But yes I agree, these cars are plenty and I plan to keep mine for the rest of my life as im not that much of a fan of the C7.

But we'll just have to see. I'm looking into buying a 65 shelby cobra replica with a 427 in it with very very low miles to add to the collections. Im kinda to the point I'd rather just have a stable of toys than waste all my money on mods than in the end dont really matter in the first place and always seem to cause problems in the end. Just my personal opinion. I guess my father is wearing off on me. All his performance cars are stock to the bone, and he wouldnt have it any other way. Of course when you place an order for a 2013/2014 Viper, you really dont have to worry about modifying it.

Get notified of new replies

To Another AirAid Installed this weekend with Free Shroud mod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another AirAid Installed this weekend with Free Shroud mod