C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong gas smell - Running rich or??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Strong gas smell - Running rich or??

Background info:
2008 Ls3 with cam and supporting mods incl LT headers, catless x-pipe, z06 mufflers, vararam, 160tstat, tuned to 494rwhp / ~435rwtq.

Recently in the past few weeks or so, I started to notice the car really smelling strong of a gas smell... A friend driving behind me said it was almost inbareable.

Then the other day while idling for about 5 mins, I jumped in and started to pull out of my complex slowly and it was kind of sputtering or missing for about 20-30 seconds so I turned around to go home, and purposely jumped on it harder and it cleared up and ran strong. Never had a problem for rest of that day or since.

All this reminded me that at another time early this year I popped a check engine light (cant remember the Pxxxx code) but i thought it was something about running rich.... It was after the car sat unused for 3 weeks and first started and idling on a hill. I thought it was a fluke and cleared the code, which never came back since.

I know not having cats will cause a gas smell, but Ive had the car for over a year or so in similar weather/temps - with the big cam and no cats and never got that smell before so its odd to me that its just came about recently.

SO, I dont know if Ive got some kind of tune issue or maybe a bad injector?? Not sure if any of that would cause the rough sputtering and/or the rich gas smell and/or that check engine light a while ago?

Any help would be appreciated!
Chris

Quick Reply: Strong gas smell - Running rich or??