C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock - 93 - E85 adventure

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:00 PM
bigwoofersnet
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock - 93 - E85 adventure

Hello CF, I wanted to provide my adventure over the course of the last couple of weeks. I have a couple of graphs, and videos as documentation. I purchased a stock 2008 Z51 in NC, and drove it home in May. Upon getting it I began to order some basic bolt ons. I purchased a Vararam Intake, ported TB, Stainless works headers (review to come later) and NPP exhaust. My buddy owns a shop with a dyno, so he has been kind enough to let me use it a couple of times over the course of the last couple of weeks to get some numbers for my car. My only disclaimer is the tuner feels like it's a "heart break dyno" and reads a tad low (3-5%), but I'm not stuck on the dyno numbers as much as I am the gains... All numbers are SAE corrected.

This graph shows my stock number dyno of 369/360 overlayed with my headers/intake/base tune dyno which was 405/402. The base tune was put on to remove codes, and he did some slight tweaks to the tune.. he used another tune to just give me something conservative to drive around on until we were able to hit the dyno. I was 9.5-10 through most of the RPM range on the overlayed dyno, so I don't think I was really gaining much if any HP from the base tune.

So fast forward to last night, we head to the dyno to get our tune on. We had a little 93 in the tank so we could get a pretty solid 93 tune down just in case I ever wanted to revert back for some reason, or purchase a flex fuel sensor. I do not have a graph for this, as we ended up not leaving the dyno till after 1am. I will attempt to get it and update the post, but I will supply the numbers. I dyno'd 418/439 on a full 93 tune.

So now we move on to the E85 tune, mind you I did no upgrades to the fuel system. We simply ran out the rest of the 93 and poured in 10 gallons of E85 and he went to work. We did 5-6 dyno pulls and he messed with the tune, we ended up reverting back to one of the other tunes because the car seemed to like running a little bit more rich, and made more TQ. We didn't do a final pull, but he flashed back to a tune not seen in the video which I believe was 432/447 tune. He did find all the flex fuel parameters in the ECU, and we are currently doing research to see how we can enable them with a functioning sensor. Here is one of the final pulls before we reflashed to the other tune..

I know some of the other "E85" threads have had some drama, I'm aware of the pros and cons. I am doing this simply for HP, and because there's a chance I will be moving to S/C next year and wanted a good baseline E85, and to find out what the pump and injectors were doing. Duty cycle was around 84%, so still plenty of fuel left at these power levels. I do not have any type of "MPG" feedback as I didn't get home until almost 3am and haven't had a chance to run through a full tank of gas. I may update at a later time once I run through a few tanks.

Thanks for reading my small novel.. I hope this helps some of you, and some of the other people in the recent E85 thread who wanted to see the gains from 93 to E85.

-Waffles
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My tuner found the Flex fuel tables as well however, we never moved forward with trying to get them to work. Great job on the HP numbers! I have a few less bolt ons than you, and dynoed 431hp/432tq. Great job, and I look forward too seeing this beast grow

Headers, Air filter, E85, stock fuel system
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 PM
bigwoofersnet
Instructor

First full tank update, average was 20mpg.. not bad, had a decent amount of spirited driving with this tank. E85 is a little harder to find than I anticipated, but I will stop DD'ing this car soon and it won't matter as much. I have mapped out my typical routes with the E85 stations, so that should help. Taking it to the track tomorrow, wish me luck!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:51 AM
EnviedC6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice numbers! Didn't know that you got into a c6.. I am in the cincy/dayton area too and used to rock a turbo s2k.. I have an ls2 c6 that is putting down 443/410 on 93 octane with boltons and a mild cam. Cheers to you sir!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 AM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

what was your injectors duty cycle with the 93?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 AM
bigwoofersnet
Instructor

Originally Posted by EnviedC6
Nice numbers! Didn't know that you got into a c6.. I am in the cincy/dayton area too and used to rock a turbo s2k.. I have an ls2 c6 that is putting down 443/410 on 93 octane with boltons and a mild cam. Cheers to you sir!
Thank you! I just picked it up in May, and the mod bug hit. I will likely finish out the year with current mods though, and will likely plan for something bigger next year. We'll see. I think I remember seeing your SN on CSS but you weren't super active? That site is basically dead, most have migrated to Facebook it seems. I know you're a little farther away, but we started a Wednesday night deal at Edgewater called Cincy Street Wars. Check it out if you haven't heard about it yet.. https://www.facebook.com/CincyStreetWars

Originally Posted by dicky
what was your injectors duty cycle with the 93?
Honestly, I don't know.. I didn't ask. We weren't super concerned with the duty cycle because we knew it wasn't going to be an issue on 93. E85 was around 84%, that's about all I can say for sure.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 AM
bigwoofersnet
Instructor

results are in...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/drag...vs-actual.html
Old 07-18-2013, 01:58 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Doing the flex fuel sensor is very possible. I've done it, and even kitted out the required parts. It's pretty easy.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Michael ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is on e85 and its imposible to find here

Get notified of new replies

To Stock - 93 - E85 adventure

Quick Reply: Stock - 93 - E85 adventure