C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam position sensor relearn procedure questions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:28 PM
RodanAZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam position sensor relearn procedure questions??

OK, I've spent a bunch of time searching and am still looking for a couple of answers related to replacing the cam position sensor, and doing a relearn procedure.

Car is '05 C6 Z51, ~54k miles, popped a CEL, and long cranking time last night. I went to Walmart (only choice at 1000pm) and bought an Innova 3030 (after discovering the OBDII scanner I had wasn't CAN capable) so I could scan it and pulled P0340/P0341 codes.

I've got the sensor coming tomorrow, and I found a thread with the relearn procedure,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...r-relearn.html

but I still have a couple questions:

1. can the car be driven after installing the new CMP before the relearn procedure (i.e. to drive it to the dealer)?

2. How much should I expect a dealer to charge for this?

2. what scan tool do I need to do it myself?

I'm assuming the Innova scanner won't do it? I can probably borrow an HP tuner from a friend this weekend if that will work. Other options?

I would rather buy a tool and have it for future issues, but if a $500 tool is the only option, that's not going to happen right now. However, I do need to get it running ASAP.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by RodanAZ
OK, I've spent a bunch of time searching and am still looking for a couple of answers related to replacing the cam position sensor, and doing a relearn procedure.

Car is '05 C6 Z51, ~54k miles, popped a CEL, and long cranking time last night. I went to Walmart (only choice at 1000pm) and bought an Innova 3030 (after discovering the OBDII scanner I had wasn't CAN capable) so I could scan it and pulled P0340/P0341 codes.

I've got the sensor coming tomorrow, and I found a thread with the relearn procedure,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...r-relearn.html

but I still have a couple questions:

1. can the car be driven after installing the new CMP before the relearn procedure (i.e. to drive it to the dealer)?

2. How much should I expect a dealer to charge for this?

2. what scan tool do I need to do it myself?

I'm assuming the Innova scanner won't do it? I can probably borrow an HP tuner from a friend this weekend if that will work. Other options?

I would rather buy a tool and have it for future issues, but if a $500 tool is the only option, that's not going to happen right now. However, I do need to get it running ASAP.
it can usually be driven as long as the [ckp] crank sensor is functioning properly.15 minute procedure.newer Snapon scan tools can do ckp variation learn procedure
Old 07-19-2013, 03:48 PM
RodanAZ
Instructor

Thanks. Just finishing up the install.

Whoever designed the power steering reservoir mounting/ bracket/ hoses needs to die. Seriously.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default I never had that problem

I installed a new cam sensor during my cam swap because the OE one was damaged when I broke the timing gear.
The engine fired up perfectly fine with the new one & never had a problem .
Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 AM
RodanAZ
Instructor

Got it finished up and relearned yesterday. I ended up going to the local dealer for the relearn for convenience sake.

I followed the procedure laid out in this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...placement.html

Everything worked well, but I highly recommend that once you have it out, notch the outermost bolt hole in the power steering fluid reservoir bracket with a dremel so it can be removed without removing the bolt. This will save you a considerable amount of time, aggravation, and profanity if you ever have to do the job again.

I'm still trying to figure out if HP tuner can do the relearn procedure... anyone?

Last edited by RodanAZ; 07-20-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To cam position sensor relearn procedure questions??

Quick Reply: cam position sensor relearn procedure questions??