C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 C6 ls2 13k miles Synchro

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Houston_C6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 C6 ls2 13k miles Synchro

Ok fellas i need some help. I am having a ton of problems from shifting 2nd to 3rd while at high rpms. No other gear gives me problems when at high rpm. I have read some other posts and have heard it might be the synchro. If i spelled it wrong sorry. My best description of the shift is if i am shifting 2nd to 3rd its like shifting between 2 rubber bands. It does not grind it just gets real tough and will not go into gear. While at normal speeds it shifts smooth. Only at high rpms it does this. Any thoughts or experiences with this issue? Are there any methods i can try on my own to solve the issue?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Could be your shifter. The shift box mount bushings and the internal rubber shift rod bushings are notorious for shredding from heat and use after about 30K miles and/or about 5 years. When this happens, the shift box can move around during shifts causing shifting misses/problems. Remove the shift box and examine those bushings. The box mount bushings are sold by several vendors, but the internal shift rod bushings are not available and you will need to purchase an entire replacement shift box if they are shredded. Replacement box is about $150. You need to pull the center console/radio bezel to access the shift box. Not a hard job if you have any DIY skills. Do a search for instructions. If you need a new box, it may be a good time to consider a short shifter like a MGW unit. They now offer their own custom designed box to go along with the shifter. Incidentally, their website has excellent video instructions for shifter replacements.

Last edited by SUB VETTE; 07-22-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Houston_C6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks sub i will pull the console apart this weekend and see. I hope it something small like this. Not really looking forward to rebuilding the tranny.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 C6 ls2 13k miles Synchro

Quick Reply: 2006 C6 ls2 13k miles Synchro