C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Starter

Old 08-07-2013, 06:55 PM
vettnut
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default LS2 Starter

I am in the process of shimming my new LS2 starter. It is a new crate engine with a 4L70E transmission. I am having to add a lot of shims to get this starter so the starter gear won't get stuck once engaged.
Has anyone tried one of these PTS N6492 starters from Pace Performance?
I spoke to a mechanic today and he told me he never has to shim a GM starter.

I have the starter adjusted so I can get the gear disengaged by using a long heavy screwdriver to slide it out. At this point it will not slide out on its own, unless I rotate the flexplate. I need to add more shims. PITA
The feeler gauge measurement is out. Its difficult enough to see into this opening by the starter gear. I will have to somehow mount a mirror inside this area in order to maybe use a paperclip method of measurement.
Any personal experience with these type of starters?
C:\Users\Dick\Desktop\T15196140[1].gif
Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with the mechanic you talked to. I've install many GM starters and never used shims. Is this something new for GM? I know starter shims are used and since I have mostly had and worked on GM auto's that's all I'm familiar with.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:35 PM
vettnut
Pro

I have only had to use shims once before on a starter.
This starter looks just like the GM starter I looked at today but my starter gearing fits bad. Too tight. I have not had a GM OEM starter and mounted it up and checked how tight it is.
I was hoping to get some feedback on this subject.
I wonder how many people even check their starters for gearing?
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 PM
peetoom
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible you have a large flywheel on the engine and a small flywheel starter.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Ive repaired/replaced dozens of starters and NOT ONCE have I ever had to shim a GM LS engine starter.

I would say you have a flywheel issue or a starter issue. try another starter and see if that resolves the issue.

BC
Old 08-08-2013, 06:40 PM
vettnut
Pro

Bill, what is your method of checking an LS2 engine starter on whether it needs shims?
My car is not done, but the engine and trans are in the car. I have the car on the lift now and can finally check this starter's fit. There is no battery installed yet. I momentarily apply 12 volts to the solenoid to get the, starter gear only, engaged into the flywheel teeth. I then use a mirror to see how my paperclip fits into the starter gear tooth gap. Using this method one does not get the starter motor running. I only want to check the starter gear fit.
In order to separate the gears, one needs to need to either rotate the flywheel or slide the gear out with a screwdriver. Now when I first did this method without shims added no way could I slide out the gear with a screwdriver. Normally, once the engine starts, centrifigal force will throw out the starters gear.
I would like to know how someone else is checking their LS2 engine starter gear for fit. I have looked all over the net for this specific answer. Nonone has an answer. this is mine for now. Everyone else has all kinds of answers on the old school engines. That is meaningless with these LS2 engines. Maybe the LS1 and 3 are the same. I dont know. Mine is an LS2.
How are they seeing into that opening. I use a mirror taped to a flashlight so I can handle a paperclip in the other.
Maybe they are installing a new starter and turn the switch and live with the results.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well................ I have never had to worry about ANY LS starter that I have either reinstalled or replaced.

Unless it makes that SICKENING noise that the old iron block starters use to make when they were not installed properly or fail to engage or disengage, I don't check fitment.

Apply battery voltage to the solenoid and see if electronically it properly engages and disengages.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 Starter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS2 Starter