C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT View Camera - Option to Curb Alert

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 PM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FRONT View Camera - Option to Curb Alert

Installation: Kenwood DNX-890 HD (incl. all required steering wheel control modules and XMSirius module), Rear View Camera, Front View Camera

Shop: Rhudy's Car Audio and Accessories

Shop Address: 2410 Murchinson Road, Fayetteville, NC 28301; Ph: 910-630-2020

Shop Sales Manager: Mike Morgan

Installing Shop Tech: "Scott"

Overall Experience Rating: Excellent!

Synopsis:

Today I had some electronic upgrades done to my 2013 GS and this included adding some way to ensure I did not back into, or park onto, something that might cause expensive damage later.

Rear View Camera:

Ever since an expensive experience long ago with a brand new Dodge Ram 1500, I have always installed a rear view camera on any vehicle I've owned. Because of the body design of the C6, it is not very easy to scan behind it as one backs up. So, I was hoping to simply install a rear view camera onto my stock navigation unit. Unfortunately, I found that due to the old technology on a C6 - even a new one - a rear view camera is not as easy as it sounds.

So, I opted for upgrading my entire audio/video system with a Kenwood DNX-890 HD. I also had a fairly new and reliable rear view camera that I had used on a previous vehicle. So, this is what I got installed.

Front View Camera:

I have entertained the option of purchasing - and installing - a "curb alert" sensor for the front of my vehicle, especially since I'm really considering purchasing CF vehicle effects throughout.

As I inspected the wiring harness of the Kenwood unit, I noticed that one of the wires was marked with a yellow tag that read "front view camera". So, I asked the installer if it would be possible to install a front view camera that I could activate prior to parking if need be. He assured me that this would be possible and I gave him the go ahead to install it as well.

Clean Install:

The camera is fairly innocuous and can only be seen if you bend down and look for it. Like a curb sensor, it sits in the centerline of the vehicle for the best possible field of view (see last image below).

The distance guides that are visible on the video (red, yellow and green guide lines) are set up such that the red line (closest to the vehicle) are roughly 14 inches away from the vehicle's front. This gives me "wiggle room" to adjust my distance as I close in.

To activate the view, I must only press the "audio" button on the navigation unit for three seconds and the screen will reveal the image in front of the vehicle, oriented to the ground. Once one turns off the vehicle, the navigation unit screen will revert to the regular menu when the vehicle is turned on again.

The install was clean and required no additional wires to, or other equipment, to be added within reach of the driver, or passenger, unlike the "curb alert" speaker (not that the "curb alert" one is in the way either, because it is not if properly installed).

With the image, I have the peace of mind that I know exactly what I'm approaching, not just some noise that can indicate simply that there is an obstacle in front of the car when it could just be a plastic cup, or something similarly benign.

Installer Experience:

Rhudy's Car Audio and Accessories personnel were completely professional, responsive and kept more than adequate communication throughout the day to let me know the progress. I received the vehicle back completely clean and I got a short class on how all the installed systems worked.

I highly recommend them.

Here are some pictures.

2013 GS

Camera is actually centered and out of the way. The picture was taken at an angle.

Camera is completely innocuous.

Camera image in a parking space.

Last edited by nous defions; 08-08-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like a great idea to me. I cringe everytime I park head on to parking blocks and have over-run the front splitter on occasion.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 AM
ColtaBilly
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM
EZ SPEED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. thanks for sharing. I plan on doing the exact same setup on my new to me 2009 Z06 I got last week

Get notified of new replies

To FRONT View Camera - Option to Curb Alert

Quick Reply: FRONT View Camera - Option to Curb Alert