C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance modding a Vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Performance modding a Vert

I was just curious if vert owners mod their engines as much as coupe owners? With the exception of the 2013 427 Vert, the higher performance vettes are always coupes.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that I have heard that if you track your car, they will often insist you get a roll bar if your times are high. I would think that this would be difficult to do in a vert without it looking horrible.

My current mod plan is air intake and headers....then supercharger in a few years when I'm not making my vette payment anymore. I suspect these mods would make my GS Vert faster than the stock 427 Vert.

I bought my vert because I love to drive with the top down. However, if I could afford a dedicated performance vette, it'd be a coupe.

Just looking for feedback to see if I'm offbase with this thinking.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I know lots of modded verts. I take mine on the road course and the drag strip (a lot). It helps to be nice to the folks who run the events.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP is a funny thing

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
I was just curious if vert owners mod their engines as much as coupe owners? With the exception of the 2013 427 Vert, the higher performance vettes are always coupes.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that I have heard that if you track your car, they will often insist you get a roll bar if your times are high. I would think that this would be difficult to do in a vert without it looking horrible.

My current mod plan is air intake and headers....then supercharger in a few years when I'm not making my vette payment anymore. I suspect these mods would make my GS Vert faster than the stock 427 Vert.

I bought my vert because I love to drive with the top down. However, if I could afford a dedicated performance vette, it'd be a coupe.

I love verts as to me if you're going to have a car that is more hobby than DD - you should go all in. I loved both our C5 vert with LS-1 and 6 spd but we truly love our 427 vert. To date for mods to the 427 I've added a Mamba intake with the air scoop, the smooth power coupler. The exhaust I've only done the mild2wild as the car comes with the NPP factory. I might tune the car next year to optimize the mods but as the car is virtually new, I'm waiting. In truth the estimated 525 I have now is all you need for the street from a practical perspective. That's the problem with HP - practical doesn't play into it and when is enough enough (likely never)
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

I've done "a few" mods to my vert. Getting my Fast 102 and LPE GT11 Cam put in next week + Dyno tune. It's been a slow process (years), but I like the incremental steps. I enjoy wrenching and breaking things and re-repairing. Every few months, the car starts to feel "slow" again. I've done road courses and drag strip. I just look for events where verts are allowed.

Airaid, Vmax CNC PTB & Vmax PMfold,Coatd Kooks hdr 1 3/4, coated Cat XPipe,Borla 2012 Touring,EE Catch Can, Mail order Diablew Tune, Z51 Sways, Z51 Brakes Z51 Oil cooler, Z51 Power steering cooler, Koni FSD, Red Pwdr Coat Caliper, B&M trans cooler,SIC MSP Bumper, 09 Spyders, Optima Yellow Top,2tone Armrest,Lloyds Mats, Ask Airbrush Art,Kicker speakers, Kawal Aux Harness, Kinivo Blue Tooth, Red vette ltrs, z06 front brake ducts. still running stock 2.56 gear and stock stall.

Dyno said 358/366, 1/4 from idle on run flats was 12.3 @ 115

Last edited by berk4422; 07-25-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:30 AM
red4twenty7
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts

Just not my thing, but to each his own, I guess with so few 427 Verts out there why would you do it.
I have nothing against modifying a car if you want to track it, but seems with way more Coupes out there that would be the direction I would go, and overall I still think they are stiffer with the top on.
Just my opinion, you buy it do what you want!
Old 11-28-2014, 12:34 PM
c6moneypit
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by red4twenty7
Just not my thing, but to each his own, I guess with so few 427 Verts out there why would you do it.
I have nothing against modifying a car if you want to track it, but seems with way more Coupes out there that would be the direction I would go, and overall I still think they are stiffer with the top on.
Just my opinion, you buy it do what you want!
Adding horse power is an addiction with no known therapy other than money lol. If not tracking the car (and if you are resisting the urge to street race lol) I would say keep it stock. More hp leads to traction issues and then chasing the weakest link... it's a vicious cycle and you just end up constantly throwing money at it. And it decreases resale value. If you are ok with that then go for it! Modding is definitely fun, just consider the negative aspects and make sure you are willing to accept them. Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:02 PM
jerho
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is an 05 vert. Pics not gòod. Lsx 335ci, over 1000 hp, f2 pro cog sprag, arh,meth,many more.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:05 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a C5 vert and have modded it with headers, larger throttle body, cam, Fast 92, LS9 injectors, Exhaust, it's an A4 but with 3.42 rear end.

Makes the car fun. PLus Igo to events where I'm allowed to drive it.

That said, now with the Track at the Museum, I will be thinking about getting a coupe of some sort if I can swing it, so I can enjoy even more events, but if not, I'll keep my vert and have fun.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by apredvette
I love verts as to me if you're going to have a car that is more hobby than DD - you should go all in. I loved both our C5 vert with LS-1 and 6 spd but we truly love our 427 vert. To date for mods to the 427 I've added a Mamba intake with the air scoop, the smooth power coupler. The exhaust I've only done the mild2wild as the car comes with the NPP factory. I might tune the car next year to optimize the mods but as the car is virtually new, I'm waiting. In truth the estimated 525 I have now is all you need for the street from a practical perspective. That's the problem with HP - practical doesn't play into it and when is enough enough (likely never)
more air in more air out+ tune when you put the intake on, you are now running the car in a "lean condition" not good, hate to burst your bubble but mtw and an intake don't really count as "performance mods IMHO
Old 12-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I know lots of modded verts. I take mine on the road course and the drag strip (a lot). It helps to be nice to the folks who run the events.
How's that stock clutch holding up? Still using Pixie dust Joe?
Jeff
Old 12-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Justasheet
How's that stock clutch holding up? Still using Pixie dust Joe?
Jeff
Drove it up to PBIR over the weekend, smooth as silk!!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 PM
apredvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
more air in more air out+ tune when you put the intake on, you are now running the car in a "lean condition" not good, hate to burst your bubble but mtw and an intake don't really count as "performance mods IMHO

I don't consider them real performance mods either. As far as the lean condition you mention - according to the manufacturer, the LS-7 doesn't require a tune based on the changes I've made. Also, the car actually runs cooler now and cooler than my buddies cars. To date no codes or issues so I'm not too concerned about the tune being too lean. I may consider buying a "canned" tune or having it done on a dyno to optimize performance of the car. As it is now, I'm not doing anything too heavy while the warranty is intact. I enjoy the CF look as much as the "performance" improvement
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2014, 08:42 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I'm in the process of "modding" mine now...

2013 427 convertible...going in for headers, Corsas, tune, and an airbox.

Thanks Vengeance Racing!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Performance modding a Vert

Quick Reply: Performance modding a Vert