C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Solenoid and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Starter Solenoid and Questions

Thanks to the forums I was able to diagnose my charging and starting problem; a broken starter solenoid.

The starter required way too much work to remove, I have the APS TT kit and nobody checked starter removal clearances when designing it and I want to minimize my suffering when putting things back together and decrease the chance that I will be doing this again soon.

So, I have read a bunch of threads but still have some questions.

1. Where does one get the $35-$50 replacement solenoid? I live in the Denver area if anyone knows someone local.

2. Is something like the MSD DynaForce smaller than the stock starter? It is listed as mini, but somewhere on here I read that the OEM starter is also mini. If it is even marginally smaller it is probably worth it due to clearances with the actuators.

3. I would like to add a Ford remote solenoid anyway, but not sure what to do with the weatherpac wire connector on the factory starter (purple?), do I need to cut and add ring terminals? Same goes for the MSD starter what do you do with the wire connector? Does someone have a wiring diagram for adding the remote solenoid?

Thanks for any help,

Shawn
Old 08-18-2013, 04:24 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Most any local starter/alternator rebuilder can put a new solenoid on your starter. Local guy did mine in Phx a couple months ago for $40 in 10 minutes.

Quick Reply: Starter Solenoid and Questions