C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight lenses replaced...what a facelift

Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 AM
Wetterflod
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight lenses replaced...what a facelift

Did a lens replacement this weekend. Can highly recommend that you do the same if you have crazed or scratched lenses.

Some pictures.

Before:

After:

Thank you RLSebring for providing me with new lenses.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 AM
sstew
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great ,was it difficult to do?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Wetterflod
Cruising

Originally Posted by sstew
Looks great ,was it difficult to do?
Taking the the bumper off, loosening the fenders and getting the headlight out is no real issue if you take your time work smart.
The more room you have the better. And if you have the opportunity to take both wheels of.... plenty of space to work. I could only get enough room in my narrow "storage" garage to take one wheel of.

When it comes to taking apart the HL assys... It gets trickier.

It´s a matter of getting the right temperature for the glue to "soften up". Only went up to about 120 degrees C (250 F) on the first one I did and had to struggle a fair bit to get the assembly apart. Went up to 150 C (300F) on the second one....much better. Then pry the lens apart from the housing with two flathead screwdrivers.

Then just remove the glue from the "channel" (a real pita). I used pliers and a hairdryer and rolled up the rubbery glue.

Clean everything really good...double check. Blow everything clean and glue + clamp the parts together again.

It´s probably not a job for everyone. But a experienced DIYer could pull it of no doubt.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks Great OP! I may need to do this soon, thanks for the write up!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:47 PM
weez58
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you heat the lens? Oven? I see a heat gun. Was that just for removing the glue after the lens was off?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Wetterflod
Cruising

Originally Posted by Gering
Looks Great OP! I may need to do this soon, thanks for the write up!
Just glad If I can help There´s probably a proper write up out there. And there was also instructions included with the lens.... but who reads those ?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Wetterflod
Cruising

Originally Posted by weez58
How did you heat the lens? Oven? I see a heat gun. Was that just for removing the glue after the lens was off?
Yes, oven. Needs to be around 53 cm wide, 41cm deep and 25 cm high. That´s the measurements of my (slightly larger than standard Swedish) oven, and the headlight assy just fitted in that one. Don´t really know how large a standard US oven is. I´ll be worth checking before taking the lights out.

The "heatgun" you see in the picture is actually a hairdryer....If you use a heatgun, It´s harder to get the adhesive out in larger pieces (tried a heatgun also). Too hot and it will crumble and tear off, to cold and it won´t come out at all. My experience is that a hairdryer in the hottest setting is closer to the "golden" temperature than a heatgun in the coldest setting.... (all depending on what kinds of guns you have obviously).
Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Great job. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:46 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Great info. I hope I never get to that point.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Clover0925
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what type of glue did you use to seal them back up?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Wetterflod
Cruising

Originally Posted by Clover0925
what type of glue did you use to seal them back up?
Some PUR-adhesive (Poly Urethane) that RLSebring sent with the lenses. He´ll know exactly which brand to use and where to buy. I´m away In Norway working so I can´t go and check what brand it is.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM
blue max
Burning Brakes

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Lense replacement

Why not avoid all of this by initially putting on the XPEL lense covers.
Put them on my 08 and after 5 years absolutely still perfect.
This case was after the fact I understand. I would suggest lense protection on the new beauties. Have no afiliation with XPEL
Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Wetterflod
Cruising

Originally Posted by blue max
Why not avoid all of this by initially putting on the XPEL lense covers.
Put them on my 08 and after 5 years absolutely still perfect.
This case was after the fact I understand. I would suggest lense protection on the new beauties. Have no afiliation with XPEL
Good suggestion, that would take care of the scratch problems. But It won´t take care of the crazing that appears in the plastic (as seen on the first picture), and that was the biggest issue with my lenses. If you have the proper tools you can even wetsand and polish away scratches, but crazing is deeper spiderweb like cracks...no remedy for those I´m afraid.

Will definitely have a look at those XPEL covers though...to protect my new ones from scratching. Thanks for the tip!!!

And maybe the Crazing is mostly the cause of Euro-type parking light bulbs sitting to close to the lens heating it up to much...some believe that might be the case?

Last edited by Wetterflod; 09-27-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Isn't there some kind of "aerospace" coating on the lense that will be removed along with the haze during wet sanding? I did this to a Sebring, turned out great, but the lense is cloudy again after only a year.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Looks great!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Wetterflod
Cruising

Originally Posted by Joe B.
Isn't there some kind of "aerospace" coating on the lense that will be removed along with the haze during wet sanding? I did this to a Sebring, turned out great, but the lense is cloudy again after only a year.
Actually you might be right, and If so, wet sanding would not be such a great idea

But if that coating doesn´t hold the lens clear for more than one year..... sure hope they don´t use it for the aerospace industry

Too bad about your lenses, that´s not a good report at all. Hopefully mine will hold up longer....but who knows....
Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

I have heard that a few times before. I clean mine with eagle one quick detailer. It is not hard on the lens and makes them look great. Over time mine are starting to look like the OP's...
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

It's a heavy duty UV protected clearcoat similar to what is on the wheels. A lot of lens have been sanded then cleared with very good results. Seems to last a year to a couple of years. Would depend on the clear used. This would take care of some issues with the lens.

Originally Posted by Wetterflod
Actually you might be right, and If so, wet sanding would not be such a great idea

But if that coating doesn´t hold the lens clear for more than one year..... sure hope they don´t use it for the aerospace industry

Too bad about your lenses, that´s not a good report at all. Hopefully mine will hold up longer....but who knows....
The crazing issue is pretty random. I've seen high mileage daily drivers and garage queens with no miles craze. Also all over the Country and some parts of the world. I send a lot of lens to the Middle East but sand storms seems to be their problem.

Originally Posted by Gering
I have heard that a few times before. I clean mine with eagle one quick detailer. It is not hard on the lens and makes them look great. Over time mine are starting to look like the OP's...
I put one of the first sets of lens on mine back in 08 when I did the carbon lights. They are starting to show some crazing now. I think 5 years is going to be a norm, so longer some shorter.

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com
Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

RLSebring: I will be seeing you soon for my replacements as well. You do outstanding work.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight lenses replaced...what a facelift

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight lenses replaced...what a facelift