C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:37 AM
stoessjc
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Spark Plug Replacement

Replaced the plugs on my 2008 Coupe. I put anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs. Torqued to manufacturer's spec of 11 ft-lbs for replacement plug. Then I noticed that the service manual states not to use thread lubricants unless specified. I know that thread lube influences torque. I went a bit beyond the torque wrench click, so final torque is likely higher than 11. Any opinions on this?

Also, I did not read anything about using silicone grease on the plug cap. I thought this was standard on high voltage ignition systems. Not on Corvette?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:16 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

You're fine as long as you didn't put so much of that lovely never sneeze on the plugs that it got on the business end of the plug. Also, hope you didn't get any on your person. That stuff is notorious for coating things anywhere near the target app site. I always use a little dielectric stuff on the plug wire end too. I have no idea whether either is "recommended". I use it because there have been more than a few instances where I wished that I had. Yes, if you're a mullet, it's easier to over torque the plugs with any type of lubricant/never seize. If you used a tq wrench set a 11, I'm sure you're OK.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:17 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default you are fine

i use 1 drop on each plug and dielectric grease on wires and have never had stuck and broken wires that some complain about.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 PM
69LS1Pro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You always want to use anti seize on the plugs and a dab of electrical grease on the boots. Its a must with aluminum heads. Nothing worse than breaking off a plug in a head. You will be fine just as long as they were tight in there

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Replacement

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Replacement