C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding factory sat/nav and backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Adding factory sat/nav and backup camera

I have a 2012 GS 1LT. Would like to add the factory Sat nav unit, and backup camera. Is the car wired for it if I buy the gear?

Anyone ever done this?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I don't know about your car being wired for the factory nav, or not. If you don't get good replies here, re-post in C6 General for a bigger audience.

Last I heard, the factory nav is not wired to accept a video camera and can not be easily modified. There was one mod that supposedly would do it, but they had lots of problems reported.

That leaves you with either adding an additional screen to view the camera, or going to an aftermarket nav unit that will work with a camera.

Lots of people crow about their aftermarket units, but I've also seen a moderate number of people who were not impressed. There is a sponsor here who sells and installs the aftermarket units & cameras, and I believe he has some people doing the work in other cities. Wish I could remember his name, he's only about an hour from me and has a good reputation.

EDIT:
None of the aftermarket units will interface with the C6 HUD, so I plan to stay with the stock nav and some day add a backup camera and screen, a Search will show some interesting solutions for that.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 09-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 PM
miklemke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2008 with the upgraded BOSE stereo did have factory wiring for the navigation unit. The base stereo did not. Not sure about your year.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:03 PM
Ray Bryant
4th Gear

Default Chinese ICE

I ordered one of these with TV and Can Bus. I thought at that price what the hell.
Waited weeks for delivery, many emails with lots of excuses. Eventually arrived.
Wiring instruction = none Manual = very poor translation resulting in lots of emails. OK my Chinese is non existent but the English replies were either bad English or deliberately misinformed. They were trying.

Eventually, between my son and myself, worked out some wiring from downloads from web (for the Z06) and the single connection names on the sticker on back of unit. We got something working Whooopeeeee. Radio, DVD, SD cards, Nav (out of date) and TV AND the Steering wheel controls BUT the heads up does not work and never will (they said it would) Also, the aerial connection is strange size and converter need some butchering!

But, sound is not great, won't hold radio station, occasional crackling, SAT NAV voice is difficult to understand, the supposed setting of home screen won't work as per manual (Says HUMMER) AND the maps are ripped off!! So no update, but they sent me the latest ripped off maps!!

Latest is the unit went bang (burning smell) and does not work. I have to take out again this weekend to see if the unit has an onboard fuse blown or a board has gone.

If I can get going again, I'll live with it for now but looking for a decent replacement in UK or buying a new car!!

So, have ago if you like but be prepared for no plug and play!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Ray Bryant
4th Gear

Board was burned, poor quality, can't be repaired. Took out and threw away.By the way, the maps are from Navieextras, and they are illegal, unlicenced

Now installed a wonderful Pioneer unit. Sat Nav is fantastic, radio (including DAB is great) blue Tooth, all sort of interfaces, sound is fantatstic, all connect to original Bose Amp. Fitted rear camera, talks to Head Unit space for front camera, which I might do soon.

No heads up, its not possible for unit to talk GM'ish but do I really care.

I am in UK, so not so many 'shops' to tackle the task.

Now a happy bunny, driven down to Western Spain.

By the way, its a Ron Fellows Z06 only 7 shipped to UK out of 30 for whole of Europe. 2007 was not the best of engineering, but K&N and a Comp Cam gets me 550 bhp at the wheels, The tuning shop had it up to 585bhp but running a bit lean and my heavy right foot was likely to blow something

Last edited by Ray Bryant; 02-20-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:37 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

If it were me I would purchase a Kenwood or Pioneer unit rather than the oem unit.
Dennis @ Double. D Mods is a forum vendor and has some decent pricing on pckg's with all the connectors etc. He can even prewire it for you.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the stock NAV is sufficient for rear view but definitely not up to the HD standard we're used to with our TVs. The good news is that you retain "stock" functionality. I can't wait until stereos and rear view are at least 1080p though, including night vision.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:01 AM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropicana
I think the stock NAV is sufficient for rear view but definitely not up to the HD standard we're used to with our TVs. The good news is that you retain "stock" functionality. I can't wait until stereos and rear view are at least 1080p though, including night vision.

Preech!
Old 02-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Ray Bryant
4th Gear

Default Screen resolution on Pioneer

The Pioneer I fitted is the AVIC F60DAB, The screen is a WGVA 7" and is measured in dots 800×480, the resolution is extremely good. Like any camera, you need one with an adequate lens. Mine is fine (if expensive)
The view is really clear in daylight and in night mode.
The only issue I have found is the Car does pick up spray and after a drive of 1,500 km it was fuzzy, but still adequate.
The grid that shows on the screen is really useful once you get used to the fact that it is a narrower representation of the car by about 6 inches.

I have used Double D to supply some parts for my 2001 Camaro Z28, they are very helpful and great service. I can't use US radio in Europe, different FM steps, but no problem with the Double din "hole" radio fits fine in the DD replacement panel.

I would think that, even if the screen was something other than WGVA (its a touch screen don't forget) in 7" 1080 would be slightly overkill. Trust me, 800 x 480 is very clear.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding factory sat/nav and backup camera

Quick Reply: Adding factory sat/nav and backup camera