C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM
methylmarty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck ball joint

Hey all,

Trying to remove the lower control arm to install new ride height adjuster bolts (worn bushings) and the ball joint is stuck. Now I've separated many ball joints using the sledge hammer technique, but this was always on cars with steel control arms. I am afraid that I might damage the aluminum control arms on my C6. I have read on the forums here that other people have used a sledge hammer on our aluminum control arms with good results.

I guess my question is, has anyone ever broken a control arm using this method? Does it work on our aluminum control arms?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are going to use a sledgehammer, you should use two of them. The second one is placed on the other side of the control arm behind the ball joint.

Then when you whack the control arm/ball joint area with a sledgehammer, the control arm will distort, popping out the ball joint and the energy/force will then be transferred through the control arm and be absorbed by the second sledghammer rather than the control arm. This helps to prevent bending the control arm.

This was taught to me by my Dad who was a front-end mechanic (long since retired) for eight years.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 AM
methylmarty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FireRoc
If you are going to use a sledgehammer, you should use two of them. The second one is placed on the other side of the control arm behind the ball joint.

Then when you whack the control arm/ball joint area with a sledgehammer, the control arm will distort, popping out the ball joint and the energy/force will then be transferred through the control arm and be absorbed by the second sledghammer rather than the control arm. This helps to prevent bending the control arm.

This was taught to me by my Dad who was a front-end mechanic (long since retired) for eight years.
Thanks for the reply. This is how I usually do it, but I have never tried it on an aluminum arm. Is it safe to say you have had good experiences using this method on aluminum?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I personally have not tried it on aluminum pieces........ball joints last so long nowadys........haven't had to replace one in years and years.

Sorry......hope someone can comment
Old 10-23-2013, 01:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

So then you are planning on replacing this ball joint when you put everything back together?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A few good wacks with a heavy hammer will break it loose. Use a brass hammer or equivalent. I have never had a problem doing it this way.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:04 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

I prefer to use the prescribed ball joint puller. They're not too expensive second-hand and are nice to have because the whole C6 suspension is made out of ball joints.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM
methylmarty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cclive
So then you are planning on replacing this ball joint when you put everything back together?
The ball joint will be reused. That's why I don't want to tear up the boot with a pickle fork. I've never had a problem reusing ball joints that i remove by hammer.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
methylmarty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by torquetube
I prefer to use the prescribed ball joint puller. They're not too expensive second-hand and are nice to have because the whole C6 suspension is made out of ball joints.
Is there one specific to our Corvettes, or are you just talking about the generic bolt-driven type?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by methylmarty
Thanks for the reply. This is how I usually do it, but I have never tried it on an aluminum arm. Is it safe to say you have had good experiences using this method on aluminum?
I have always hit the top of the ball-joint bolt rather than the sides of the control arm. I loosen the nut so that it sits flush to slightly higher with the end of the bolt which then takes the force of the hammer blow and preserves the threads. Having the nut on the bolt end also prevents the suspension from moving very far when broke loose.

--Dan
Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
skamp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For sure use the right tool. A pickle fork will rip the boot. What is your location? If you are in Houston you can borrow mine.

Steve
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by methylmarty
Is there one specific to our Corvettes, or are you just talking about the generic bolt-driven type?
The Kent-Moore J-42188-B tool is a screw-driven press with deep, wide, low-profile, cantilevered jaws.

Most other screw-type ball joint tools are too thick and shallow to work on the Corvette.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I use the hammer method. It might take a few whacks on the side of the ball joint to get it loose. After hitting it a few times pull down on the control arm to see if it is loose. I pounded on it the first time until I realized it was already loose. The control arm barely moves down when the joint is loose.

Bill
Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
The Kent-Moore J-42188-B tool is a screw-driven press with deep, wide, low-profile, cantilevered jaws.

Most other screw-type ball joint tools are too thick and shallow to work on the Corvette.
That is the correct tool designed for the specific job.

Alternatively, in the proper hand, the cheaper available ball joint tool can be used but first must be modified. "U" opening must be ground, thinner and enlarged to provide proper fit, also to avoid damaging rubber grease retaining seal - especially since the lower ball joint is larger. However, not an ideal tool as the Kent-Moore.

My $.02s. Precision machined taper fit will be affected adversely with hammer strike. Typical general practice is using in line, mechanical force advantage to break free tighten precision taper fit. In the untrained hands, seeming no damage was done by hammering, but reusing distorted ball joint could lead to false torque value since the critical taper fit was compromised. When come time to use hammer to loosen the once torqued ball joint - surprise, the ball joint is already loose!

There are certainly time and place to use a hammer, to avoid sustaining damages, hammer should not be harder then the work being used on. Unless that is the intention or cold flowing is desired, such as using ball peen hammer to shape softer surface to desired spec.

To verify, simply hammer a piece of scrap aluminum even a grade 8 bolt and see for oneself the end result. Yet some still want to do that on their aluminum car components!

Go figure, right!

Last edited by victorf; 10-25-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Havin a helluva time tryin to remove a front upper ball (from the spindle) on a '73. I'm makin sure the tooth on the pickle fork is going thru the frame's hole and not contacting the frame itself. I'm using PB Blaster & a sledge on it, and it's not budgin! Why?

UPDATE: Got a hold of a Ball Joint Separator Tool (HF #99849) and it did the job!

Last edited by Cavu2u; 11-02-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM
phylrick
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavu2u
Havin a helluva time tryin to remove a front upper ball (from the spindle) on a '73. I'm makin sure the tooth on the pickle fork is going thru the frame's hole and not contacting the frame itself. I'm using PB Blaster & a sledge on it, and it's not budgin! Why?

UPDATE: Got a hold of a Ball Joint Separator Tool (HF #99849) and it did the job!
Harbor Freight $19.99 ball joint / Tie rod separator works like a charm....Tapered joints DO have to be removed with INLINE force....hammers and whatever will only cause frustration.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Changed rear hubs two months ago and tried every known method, including dry ice, because the correct tool was not available. I held off using a pickle fork as the last resort. Finally used it, but generously lubed both the boot and the pickle fork with old school wheel bearing grease and the boot survived.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:14 PM
sick cc
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just replaced and installed all new front ball joints in my c6, used harbor freights ball joint remover and installer tool, also bought the adapter kit.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:57 AM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 for the harbor freight ball joint tool. Taken off plenty now with no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck ball joint

Quick Reply: Stuck ball joint