C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New-to-me 2012 GS A6 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default New-to-me 2012 GS A6 Questions

I am getting to know my new-to-me 12 GS. I have questions about the auto trans.

I note the trans starts in "2" unless manually put in "1" using the paddle shift and then must be manually up-shifted with the paddle. Is there any way to have the trans start in "1" and then up-shift by itself?

The paddle shift does not work as the manual describes. The operating manual describes a "push" to up-shift and "pull" to down-shift on either the left or right paddle on the steering wheel. On my car the "push" does nothing on either paddle. The right side "pull" up-shifts and the left "pull" down-shifts. Any clue what is going on here?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM
'13GrandSport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not aware of the starting off in second. I always downshift to 1 when at a light. As for the paddles working the way they do in your car, some found it strange to push to up shift / pull to downshift. There is a way to mod the paddles to work more like those set ups that are found on Ferrari and Porsche. Those examples work as you paddles work. One side used to upshift the tranny and the opposite side used to downshift it. It is a cool set up. I think you can set it back to the original way the factory intended, but not needed unless you want it to work that way.

Enjoy your grand sport. I love mine. Hope you have many happy miles.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

If you let it do the downshifting, it will only go to 2nd.

I have modified my paddles to work like you say, except the push still works opposite the pull. I like them this way.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

[QUOTE=BIGMAC;1585262724Is there any way to have the trans start in "1" and then up-shift by itself?[/QUOTE]

When you activate the paddles, by using them, it will only downshift to and start in 2nd.

To start out in 1st, use either D or S without using the paddles. It will start in 1st and upshift by itself.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:58 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts

The -12 GS A-6 works well and has the faster shift parameters from the factory. I've been able to upshift at 6k rpm's without problems.

Other than the modified paddles, it sounds like your car is operating normally. A tuner could adjust the program so your car will downshift into 1st automatically when slowing down while in paddle mode, though I don't mind having to do it manually. After all, that's why its in paddle shift mode (and how I do most of my driving).

To recap, the stock setup is to press on the '+' to upshift and to pull on the paddle behind the wheel to downshift. I find this isn't a problem and like having the control on both sides of the wheel to be the same, especially while on the track.

Get notified of new replies

To New-to-me 2012 GS A6 Questions

Quick Reply: New-to-me 2012 GS A6 Questions