C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for replacing rack and pinion C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Advice for replacing rack and pinion C6

My rack and pinion has failed with 40000 miles. Pulled the boot back on the rack and found lots of play. Also has lots of pops and clicks when steering. Advice on How To or tips for replacing the rack and pinion in my 05 C6 would be great. Anything I need to do or replace while I'm in there.
THANKS RAYZZZ MY CORVETTE LIKES MY MONEY
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Others have mentioned that there is some kind of computer sync/relearn that has to be done after a new rack is installed, and an alignment.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM
skamp
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you review the A&A supercharger install manual it has the instructions on how to remove the rack. It is not that hard.

Steve
Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Might be a good time to check your harmonic balancer, make sure there's no wobble in it at all, the steering has to be moved out of the way when the balancer needs to get changed.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Look up any cam swap DIY and you will find instructions for the rack removal. lS1tech.com has a good one or run a search on this forum.

I'm not sure about the relearn thing for a new rack, but Turn 1 will rebuild your existing rack for about $250 and they are top notch. I have used them a few times over the years over the years for pumps or racks. I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzzz
My rack and pinion has failed with 40000 miles. Pulled the boot back on the rack and found lots of play. Also has lots of pops and clicks when steering.
In case you haven't already, check the pinch bolt that secures the steering column to the steering rack.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default boot

I've pulled the rack boot back on the drivers side and the gear shaft that runs thur the rack right to left has a lot of play. Has anyone been able to just tighten the adjustment on the rack and make it good. Looks really hard to get to the adjuster with the rack in the car.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default leak

I received the first Cardon rebuilt rack and it was leaking oil out of a hole that gets a plug in it during assembly. That's not going in my car I said so they ordered a new one and I should see it next week. No other parts house around me could even get one. Waiting on good parts now.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:51 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

I went thru 2 cardone rebuilt racks for a Chevy trailblazer job last year. Both were junk right from the start & returned to NAPA. Ended up getting a re-man from GM that worked good. Also had issues with Cardone p/s pumps in the past & refuse to use their stuff unless absolutely necessary.

Hopefully you'll get a good one this time. The upside is their stuff usually carries a lifetime warranty and costs less vs. the GM 12 month warranty & higher price.

Does the dealer have anything available?
Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default More

Originally Posted by jft69z
I went thru 2 cardone rebuilt racks for a Chevy trailblazer job last year. Both were junk right from the start & returned to NAPA. Ended up getting a re-man from GM that worked good. Also had issues with Cardone p/s pumps in the past & refuse to use their stuff unless absolutely necessary.

Hopefully you'll get a good one this time. The upside is their stuff usually carries a lifetime warranty and costs less vs. the GM 12 month warranty & higher price.

Does the dealer have anything available?
The dealer said they would have to order it (remanufactured) and next week. Lots of money at $863.00 Dealer and Advance $325.00. I may try the second rack with the LIFE TIME Warranty from Advance. May regret it later but we'll see . I did some messing with steering rack preload adjustment on the rack the rack up some this morning. The adjustment is tuff to get to. Remove the four bolts holding the sway bar clamps and pull sway bar down out of the way. Remove the anti lock bracket from the anti lock sway bar and rack and remove. Channel Locks to loosen the lock nut and then used a 7/8 wrench to turn the adjuster in tightening then backed backed off one flat side of bolt end. The rack did seem better but I am yet to finish it up and drive it. I'll turn some tools this evening later.
SATURDAY NIGHT

Last edited by Rayzzz; 11-23-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Rack

Rack and pinion
Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default adjust

How to adjust the rack and pionion.

Rack and Pinion Gear Rack Bearing Preload Adjustment - Off Vehicle (MAGNASTEER)

1. Loosen the adjuster plug lock nut (1).Turn the adjuster plug clockwise until the adjuster plug bottoms in the gear assembly.Turn the adjuster plug back 50 degrees to 70 degrees (approximately one flat).
  2. Install the adjuster plug lock nut (1) to the adjuster plug.
    Tighten
    Hold the adjuster plug stationary while tightening the adjuster plug lock nut (1) to 68 N·m (50 lb ft).
Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Old 11-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default adjusted

I seem to have made a great fix on the rack pinion on the Vette. I used a few tools and grease and looking good. So much tighter in the steering. Miles on the car will tell but lots of rain for now.

TOOLS I USED
Also in the picture below is the anti-lock bracket. It needs to be removed by taking out the two nuts on the anti-lock. One front one rear side. Remove these first and then the two bolts that mount the bracket at the bottom and remove. 13mm I believe is correct. Watch how the bracket comes out. I have a Vortech Supercharger on mine and it would only out and in one way but I think it's tight either way.

Offset Channel Locks to loosen the lock nut on pinion. I had to use the offset Channel Locks back wards to what would make the best grip but I squeezed them hard enough to loosen the lock nut. Good luck.

I use a 7/8 wrench on the adjustment pinion nut to turn it because it was shorter then the metric wrench that fit it I had. Turn till it bottom and then back off one flat side on nut.

I used a punch to tighten the lock on the pinion adjustment.

I turned the rack geared shaft right to left thru the rack putting grease on the groves on the rack shaft each time. Did this about 10 times. Greasing the rack pinion made it much quieter. I hope that holds up.

Slide the boot on and Zip lock on the rack boot and your done. Ride on

Get notified of new replies

To Advice for replacing rack and pinion C6

Quick Reply: Advice for replacing rack and pinion C6