C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive line noise... Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Drive line noise... Need help.

I started this conversation on an older thread where someone was having a similar issue. Thought I would put it out there by itself and see if I can get some more input.

"Changed to Redline fuids in the trans and diff about 8k miles ago. About 6 months later I started hearing a faint whine from the back of the car at higher speeds, 65-80 mph and only in 5th and 6th gear and only on throttle. Over time it got worse and louder, eventually I could hear it all the way down to 2nd gear and got the whine both on throttle and deacceleration. When coasting even in gear it almost went away. I was convinced it was the diff. Took it the local place that specializes in diffs only and is very well versed in corvette. If I said the name you would know it. Two people there drove it and the consensus was it was the diff. They did say they could not be 100% sure till they opened it up. Based on my experience I agreed it was the diff. I decided to swap the diff myself. I bought a 7k mile z06 diff and did the swap. Not difficult just time consuming. Finished the car today. We'll... You guessed it, the whine is still there. Process of elimination now means it has to be the trans? Very frustrating to say the least. Just goes to show you can never be 100% sure."

"Yeah not as straight forward as one might think. The transmission and diff are right next to each other at the back of the car making figuring out which it is difficult. Of course the drive shaft bearings are another possibility as are the CV joints. I keep trying to come up with a way to narrow this down further. I do have three new observations in my case. I changed the trans fluid today to see if there was any impact on the noise. It made absolutely no difference. I noticed that if I cruise down the freeway at 70 or so mph, uphill, downhill or flat road and press the clutch in and leave it in gear the noise goes away completely. This means that everything from the driveshaft to the wheel bearings are still turning at current road speed. In turn, this means that the noise is load dependent (you would think some noise should persist particularly up or down hill) or it's not any of those items. The last observation is that the whine doesn't "sing" (if you know what I mean) like gear whine tends to, it sounds more like a supercharger whine with almost a high frequency buzz to it.

What does all this mean? Not sure yet. Throw out bearing? Still working on it."
So... Does this sound familiar to anyone? This one is stumping me.
Thanks
H
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Anybody? I'm leaning towards the trans input shaft bearing.
H
Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

This is no help, but every component at one time or another I've read about being the culprit, trans, halfshafts, diff, etc. This is the most recent one about the torque tube. The fact that when you decouple it goes quiet is something I would've thought the two guys who road tested would've also noticed. I might shoot the question to a couple of the vendor shops on here like LG, 21st Century, ECS, Rippie.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1585869394

Get notified of new replies

To Drive line noise... Need help.

Quick Reply: Drive line noise... Need help.