C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Low Oil Pressure ????

I have a 2013 Z06, did an HPDE this weekend, after the last two sessions, when I got back in the pits, I noticed the Oil Pressure was at 17 PSI ????? The car only has 1200 miles on it, I haven't noticed the oil pressure being this low during normal everyday driving. I have owned Z's before, never noticed this. There were no idiot lights on, no warning lights on, nothing,, The PSI is high when cold, is the norm with the LS7 at temp ? The oil temp was normal, the coolant temp was high. This cannot be good. The oil level was right on the money, and its a flat track, so banks are not an issue with the oil being sloshed out of reach.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:58 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Just a suggestion. Go over to the Z06 Forum and talk to those guys. Sounds like a "possible" problem though. Here's just one similar discussion to start you out:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...e-at-idle.html
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Low oil pressure is an engine killer. I track my car a lot and if you ever go out and always leave the Oil Pressure up on the display while tracking so that I can glance down periodically and check it. First sign of unusually low oil pressure pull the car off the track! If your seeing 17psi and your oil level in the dry sump system is normal, there is something wrong i.e. you might have spun a bearing or something like that. Schedule an appointment at your dealer and have the engine looked over because even if everything sounds normal now, it's not and if you keep on driving it something is going to fail.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Did you check oil pressure at 2K rpm, by any chance? That might be a better indicator than idle, I'd think. I'd also post oil temperature at the moment, and oil information (viscosity, how many miles after last change, brand, etc). The hotter the oil, the less oil pressure. That way one of the experts can give you a better answer. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Did you check oil pressure at 2K rpm, by any chance? That might be a better indicator than idle, I'd think. I'd also post oil temperature at the moment, and oil information (viscosity, how many miles after last change, brand, etc). The hotter the oil, the less oil pressure. That way one of the experts can give you a better answer. Good luck.

I agree. How does it vary with RPM?

Pfadt Race Engineering
888-972-2464
info@pfadtracing.com

Old 01-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Lol, no matter how high the oil temperature is if anyone thinks that seeing 17psi oil pressure after coming off the track from a session is normal then I got to question how well you guys know Z06's. I've tracked my car in 108F weather and even after a 30 minute session in that I've never seen oil pressure that low!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Too much clearance and the pressure drops like a rock. Usually you will not get a noise. Time to change the bearings before you spin one or something leaves the block. good luck
Old 01-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Gabbiani
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it nearly that low after sessions in a wet sump ls3 and 280 oil temps but the dry sump should be higher. Ran multiple sessions in 100 degree summers and never got anywhere near that low with the ls7.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:40 PM
TopSpeedNeed
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC

I did not, I just got off track and noticed the 17 PSI, the outside temp was around 55 degrees, I think the oil temp was 250 ish, I don't know for sure, I looked, but didn't pay any attention because it did not look abnormal. The coolant temp was around 190ish, everything else looked fine. When it happened on the next session, I ended if for the day. While on track, I looked briefly and all looked good, around 40 to 50 ish, and that was at the beginning of a 20 minute session, too busy during the session to keep an eye on it, then came off track and looked and it was down to 21 and when I parked and at idle it was 17 again.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Oil Pressure ????

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure ????