C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR1 Splitter Protector from ABS Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Skol
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 Splitter Protector from ABS Plastic

I've seen a few threads from people looking for ways to protect their ZR1 Carbon Fiber splitters. I was very worried when I got my splitter about scraping it coming in and out of my driveway. I was also very worried about it hitting a curb and getting scratched/cracked. Therefore, I bought a sheet of 4' x 8' black ABS for about $40 to make a few protectors so that if one got too damaged I could easily replace it. This protects the under neath of the splitter and the front of it.

First thing I did was cut a sheet to the size of the splitter, then traced it out with a silver sharpie about an inch to give some extra protection around the splitter:

Then I cut the sheet with a jig saw where I traced it out and made some brackets to bolt the guard too.

Lastly, after installing the brackets I mounted the protector to the car. It's not perfect, but it does the job. I still need to smooth it out.

Here it is at a car show, I'm pretty happy with it because it does what I designed it to do. Again, it's not perfect but it's better than scraping up a beautiful piece of carbon fiber. Now I just need to smooth out the edges.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I like it, looks good. How did you attached it to the splitter? I see the brackets, not sure how you attached them. It makes the splitter look better. Nice job

Last edited by v1 rot8; 02-11-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Word
Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by v1 rot8
I like it, looks good. How did you attached it to the splitter? I see the brackets, not sure how you attached them. It makes the splitter look better. Nice job
I agree. I like it too. How did you attach it? How thick is the abs? Very nice job.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Skol
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the brackets I used metal mending plates and bent them in a vise to the size and shape I needed. I bolted the top part of the bracket through the splitter in the stock bolt areas and then attached the abs to the bottom of the bracket with clip and screws. I painted the brackets black so they hopefully shouldn't rust either. I'll try to post some pictures of how it's mounted once it warms up here.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:08 AM
BillWTX
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I like!
More info on what you made brackets out of and the mounting please

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Splitter Protector from ABS Plastic

Quick Reply: ZR1 Splitter Protector from ABS Plastic