C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner: headers question (did lots of research cant find answer)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 AM
tondss
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner: headers question (did lots of research cant find answer)

Hello yall I purchased a 2006 black C6 base model today. only 30,000 miles.
I would like to install headers and Plan to order the OBX series. used them before on camaro and never had a problem.
here are my question

1. What are some easy fast DIY things I can do to get easy HP.
Example. Smooth bellow..Ect not talking about 300 dollar upgrades like intake exhaust ect. just cheap little things.

2. I want to install the OBX headers but want to keep the stalk exhaust on there because i plan to run (2) 2.5 QTP cut outs. I plan to remove the cats as well.

Could I connect the Obx headers directly to the stock Hpipe? can someone show me which ones i need?
( I want to be able to close the QTP cutout to quiet the car to stalk thats why im trying to keep stalk exhaust.)

i dont want to purchase an xpipe because im going to install the qtp cut outs somewhere close to where the cats are located after we remove them.

3. Will I need 02 extentions? and how many? Im thinking only 2?

I did a lot of research and couldnt find the answers I need. Thanks in advance!

Tony G
Old 02-23-2014, 12:32 PM
smaynor
Pro

Not sure about the OBX specifically, but no, headers won't connect to your stock H-pipe. You need the correct X-pipe to match the headers.

Yes, you will need two O2 extensions. Extend the front ones (make sure you get them back on the same side you removed them from), and have your tuner disable the rears. You WILL get codes with the rears disconnected.

I have no personal experience with OBX, but some people on here have had some issues with quality and fitment with OBX. Shop around in the 'for sale' section and pick up a used set of good headers. I got my American Racing set including catted X-pipe for less than a new set of OBX and the quality and fitment are good.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

you want cheap HP forget the headers then 15 hp for around $3000 installed, you can get the same HP with a Z06 3 inch system, HP is and always has been around a $100 per horse, and once you get past a certain point it costs more and more, what did you think? you were going to whoop on a set of headers and a manifold and get a hundred like you could in the 70's what do you think GM did to get 400+?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

^^^^ditto!

Throw on a complete ZO6 exhaust system and a ZO6 air bridge and call it a day. The best bang for the buck!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:36 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I cant speak much for the Z06 exhaust as I haven't put headers on my car...yet. I have a set of LGs waiting to be put on but I got em cheap. But to get to the point, yes, you will need O2 extensions and a tune. The Corvette doesn't use a smooth bellow like the Camaro. Different set up. You can get the Z06 parts for cheap on the forums compared to what you will pay for the OBX. Another important factor is the tune. Be sure you get it tuned regardless of what you do. It will open up more power. May cost a few hundred to get it done right but you will enjoy it. You will also need it for the headers.

As CMY SIX said, the horse power doesn't come cheap.

Just a side note....IMHO the best bang for the buck is on the gas you spend driving it. Ive had my 05 now for 8 years and 107k with little mods. Ive enjoyed every mile Ive put on it. They are fun cars to drive.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:44 PM
tondss
Advanced

Default sweet.

After the header install I planed one doing heads and cam and fast 102. I didn't really want to pay to have it tuned twice :/. I would like the full length header as I am not worried about smog as an issue. I got a base vet and would like to order the z06 rims as well I guess there are fitment issues as well?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tondss
I would like to install headers and Plan to order the OBX series. used them before on camaro and never had a problem.
here are my question

Example. Smooth bellow..Ect not talking about 300 dollar upgrades like intake exhaust ect. just cheap little things.

2. I want to install the OBX headers but want to keep the stalk exhaust on there because i plan to run (2) 2.5 QTP cut outs. I plan to remove the cats as well.

Could I connect the Obx headers directly to the stock Hpipe? can someone show me which ones i need?
( I want to be able to close the QTP cutout to quiet the car to stalk thats why im trying to keep stalk exhaust.)

i dont want to purchase an xpipe because im going to install the qtp cut outs somewhere close to where the cats are located after we remove them.

Tony G
Long tube headers require relocating or removing the cats which is not legal in any state. EPA rules say cats are to remain in their factory location. If you have smog checks in your state you could fail the visual inspection.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by smaynor
Not sure about the OBX specifically, but no, headers won't connect to your stock H-pipe. You need the correct X-pipe to match the headers.

Not true my B&B headers did.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by timd38

Not true what? I don't even see your cat's.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Not true what? I don't even see your cat's.
They are inside the individual header tubes!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:07 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

They are inside the individual header tubes!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

I think someone has been feeding you false info if so, that's not very cool of them.
there is no such thing as a catalytic converter "inside" a header tube especially if you were told that each of the 8 header tubes had a small individual cat within? Some years of honda civics had the manifold and cat assembled as 1 peice, but you can clearly see the cat is there from the outside, as its shape is obvious.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

These are exactly what I need for my Z exhaust setup. What model header are these?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
These are exactly what I need for my Z exhaust setup. What model header are these?
B&B Exhaust.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rpmextra
I think someone has been feeding you false info if so, that's not very cool of them.
there is no such thing as a catalytic converter "inside" a header tube especially if you were told that each of the 8 header tubes had a small individual cat within? Some years of honda civics had the manifold and cat assembled as 1 peice, but you can clearly see the cat is there from the outside, as its shape is obvious.
Sorry, it was sarcasm.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:25 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Sorry, it was sarcasm.
lol, I feel pretty retarded for not picking that up. Maybe if I heard you say it rather than read it....LMAO
But back on topic. This guy wants to spend the minimum and get the most hp. other than headers (he's already decided) I guess cold air, and tune? The tune alone seems to get the best bang for the buck. I was looking for headers (and bought kooks + x pipe & borla S rear section) it seems the x pipe for the options i did find....were required as the stock one will not bolt to the headers. At least in the options that I was looking at.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by tondss
here are my question

Tony G
the quality and fitment of the OBX catted stainless headers are perfect contrary to what others have stated in your thread and can be bought new with cats for $750.some of their band clamps are not the greatest but are inexpensive to change if you care to do so. you can run them without a tune but will need the rear 02 sensors turned off so you wont get cel.if no tuning done do a few pulls on dyno to verify air fuel ratio is ok.will mke more hp after tune.my auto car picked up 65 rwhp with OBX and ported Fast 102.they will not bolt to your stock x-pipe and you need 2 extensions for the front 02 sensors

Last edited by irok; 02-26-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To new owner: headers question (did lots of research cant find answer)

Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Wouldn't waste my time on a stock Z06 setup. Do the OBX if anything.

I paid $700 for my (used) headers, 3" x pipe and C6Z mufflers and picked up 20rwhp/35rwtq peak numbers and a good bit throughout the curve. Def not a waste of time or money as was stated earlier.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 PM
tondss
Advanced

Thanks for the help yall. Just ordered my black replica z06 wheels with MGP caliper covers red all going on my (BoB) black on black. Then I'll order OBX headers and X pipe and get a tune. Thanks again.

Ohhh what can I do for the smooth bello?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

timd38; What year is the car in the header/no cats photo?

Quick Reply: new owner: headers question (did lots of research cant find answer)