C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM
shaggyboiler
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Clutch Replacement

Spring is near and I'm in need of a new clutch. So time to get one ordered. I have a 2005 C6, I don't plan to track it or drag it. Really just daily driving and a little spirited driving here and there.

I was thinking of just replacing the clutch with a standard LS7 and new flywheel, but I got to looking and see the SPEC are not much more, are they worth it? Or should I just stick with the stock for now?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggyboiler
Spring is near and I'm in need of a new clutch. So time to get one ordered. I have a 2005 C6, I don't plan to track it or drag it. Really just daily driving and a little spirited driving here and there.

I was thinking of just replacing the clutch with a standard LS7 and new flywheel, but I got to looking and see the SPEC are not much more, are they worth it? Or should I just stick with the stock for now?

Thanks,
Shane
If you will not be racing it and do not wish to upgrade to a lighter clutch, given the choice you may wish to stick with an LS7 clutch. The Spec clutches that I have seen tend to be very on/off. Also labor should be a consideration when looking into clutches since it is a major component of the price unless you plan doing it yourself. I prefer carbon clutches with a low MOI since they last a very long time and give added performance.
Good luck.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:57 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Thanks,
Shane
when you spec it you will find that in 2007 GM started puting the LS7 clutch in LS2 cars and I think the LS3, so you will find the STOCK clutch will be the LS7 clutch. you do realize that todays mordern clutches are considered "lifetime" if your only "doing a little sprited driving" and you need a new clutch, you may not be driving it right.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:47 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Default Monster clutch

Thanks,
Shane
Shane, do yourself a favor, contact monster clutch, they will have what you need and everything is built in the USA. Stay away from the stock self adjusting LS7 clutch and replace the Slave cylinder while you are there
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

The clutch we pulled out of 2005 C6 was the same LS7 that came out of the 2008 we pulled out...If you want a clutch that will drive just like stock and have the factory longevity/engagement I recommend our new LT1-S which uses our billet steel flywheel mated to a C7 2014 Corvette clutch. These clutch are a vast improvement over any other factory clutch produced and can take a beating or more power should you choose to go down that path at a later date as we conservatively rate them at 650rwhp. Feel free to call me with a quote or if you have any questions, I'll include a new slave cylinder with release bearing for $195 with our premium package.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 02-28-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Clutch out of tuners '08 C6...

Here's a description and pics as well as some action at the track...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...h-in-a-c6.html
Old 02-28-2014, 05:47 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
The clutch we pulled out of 2005 C6 was the same LS7 that came out of the 2008 we pulled out...If you want a clutch that will drive just like stock and have the factory longevity/engagement I recommend our new LT1-S which uses our billet steel flywheel mated to a C7 2014 Corvette clutch. These clutch are a vast improvement over any other factory clutch produced and can take a beating or more power should you choose to go down that path at a later date. Feel free to call me with a quote or if you have any questions, I'll include a new slave cylinder with release bearing for $195 with our premium package.
I've got a 670hp/565tq system coming in courtesy of LPE. What clutch from you would be best, if I were to drive primary street with a few track days per month (three at most)? Sorry OP for hijacking for a second!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by DillingerRadio
I've got a 670hp/565tq system coming in courtesy of LPE. What clutch from you would be best, if I were to drive primary street with a few track days per month (three at most)? Sorry OP for hijacking for a second!
Is that crank hp? By track do you mean drag or road course? Reason I ask is you're near one of the finest in the country
Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM
shaggyboiler
Racer

The clutch we pulled out of 2005 C6 was the same LS7 that came out of the 2008 we pulled out...If you want a clutch that will drive just like stock and have the factory longevity/engagement I recommend our new LT1-S which uses our billet steel flywheel mated to a C7 2014 Corvette clutch. These clutch are a vast improvement over any other factory clutch produced and can take a beating or more power should you choose to go down that path at a later date as we conservatively rate them at 650rwhp. Feel free to call me with a quote or if you have any questions, I'll include a new slave cylinder with release bearing for $195 with our premium package.
Very interested and will contact you. Looks like my friend that has a garage will be ready for it at the end of this month to install.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:36 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Very interested and will contact you. Looks like my friend that has a garage will be ready for it at the end of this month to install.
PM replied to
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Thanks,
Shane
As one Boilermaker to another....

Depends on what you want to do. The LS7 clutch will hold about 550 rwhp with a sticky tire on it just fine. They do still have the issue of the pedal sticking to the floor from time to time.

You can do the LS9 conversion and these will hold 700 or so rwhp and of course drive like stock and weight is about the same if you use the lighweight flywheel.

My personal fav so far, is the Centerforce DYAD clutch. Thing has held over 1100 rwhp, drives almost like stock, takes about 20 lbs of rotating mass off the car. Uses the stock hydraulics and I have yet to have one stick to the floor.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything nuts with the car so any of the three would hold what you are doing for a long long time to come.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 AM
shaggyboiler
Racer

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

Depends on what you want to do. The LS7 clutch will hold about 550 rwhp with a sticky tire on it just fine. They do still have the issue of the pedal sticking to the floor from time to time.

You can do the LS9 conversion and these will hold 700 or so rwhp and of course drive like stock and weight is about the same if you use the lighweight flywheel.

My personal fav so far, is the Centerforce DYAD clutch. Thing has held over 1100 rwhp, drives almost like stock, takes about 20 lbs of rotating mass off the car. Uses the stock hydraulics and I have yet to have one stick to the floor.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything nuts with the car so any of the three would hold what you are doing for a long long time to come.
Thanks for the info Anthony!!!!! Now just need to get the job done.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I haven't seen any good results at the dragstrip with an LS7 clutch and 550rwhp, the clutch pedal sticking is evidence it's not enough and is slipping creating extra heat in the diaphragm spring. Y'all should remember Vic's LS9 failure at the dragstrip with only 500rwhp as the rivets aren't meant to take the abuse in a non-encompassed diaphragm spring design and personally not a fan of steel inserts warping in aluminum flywheels. I wasn't aware the Dyad weighs 37lbs, ever had one of those centrifugal weights stick?
Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My DYAD weighed 47lbs with their standard flywheel. I sent it back in exchange for a McLeod RXT after reading more than a few reports of the DYAD overheating at the track.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I haven't seen any good results at the dragstrip with an LS7 clutch and 550rwhp, the clutch pedal sticking is evidence it's not enough and is slipping creating extra heat in the diaphragm spring. Y'all should remember Vic's LS9 failure at the dragstrip with only 500rwhp as the rivets aren't meant to take the abuse in a non-encompassed diaphragm spring design and personally not a fan of steel inserts warping in aluminum flywheels. I wasn't aware the Dyad weighs 37lbs, ever had one of those centrifugal weights stick?
Like I said...for what he is doing it would be fine. His car isn't going to see a DR or a slick for that matter.

As for Vic's car...when I saw the car last and it had a clutch failure it wasn't an LS9 clutch in the car and the plates were welded together. Nor was that a clutch that I listed above.

As for Centerforce...many years ago there were some issues but as of right now we have quite a few cars well north of 800 rwhp running them street/track/strip for well over a couple years with zero issues. Drives almost like stock and for the price that is a darn hard clutch to beat. Tilton still takes the cake when it comes to top of the line clutches, but he doesn't need a $6000 clutch.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Like I said...for what he is doing it would be fine. His car isn't going to see a DR or a slick for that matter.

As for Vic's car...when I saw the car last and it had a clutch failure it wasn't an LS9 clutch in the car and the plates were welded together. Nor was that a clutch that I listed above.

As for Centerforce...many years ago there were some issues but as of right now we have quite a few cars well north of 800 rwhp running them street/track/strip for well over a couple years with zero issues. Drives almost like stock and for the price that is a darn hard clutch to beat. Tilton still takes the cake when it comes to top of the line clutches, but he doesn't need a $6000 clutch.
Yeah, just want to make sure he's not doing things twice.

Sure would've helped that single in Vic's car if he would have contacted us and got the right clutch in the car instead of dealing with a money hungry distributor, that has since been removed from our program by the way. That was more than four years ago, so, lots of things have changed/happened/improved since then. Plenty of guys going damn quick in our singles, so, that's a moot point. I would have guessed you would remember Vic's failure... I used to have pictures of that thing exploded... made for some interesting conversation. There's a reason we never made a conversion flywheel for the LS9, it's not a strong design overall. We got to test those before the ZR1 hit the streets.

Just an FYI -

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586312706-post232.html

I've not seen any solid drag racing results from these clutches. I realize you guys like them for their soft/factory engagement, but that does nothing for holding capacity. We addressed this with GM's LT1 twin, which in Vengeance Racing's car held 1000 rwhp on the dyno - not that I'd ever recommend nor condone that to hold on the track. There is a huge difference, as I know you're aware, of what a piece of paper says it holds vs what it will actually hold when it's used. The fact that they say, bluntly, you cannot slip this clutch in a drag racing scenario rules this thing out for all IRS drag cars in my book.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Replacement

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement