C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 gained 5hp with FAST 102? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
The initial numbers seem very high imo. Even though your not happy with what the numbers say, take a look at what other guys get with the same configuration and it seems spot on. Also, see what it can do on the track. I'm sure you'll be happier then.
^ this... /thread
Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 AM
brightc6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Curious what the car made on initial pre-mod dyno. It sounds like you somehow picked up 120 hp from your first mods.
There was no before dyno pull, i bought the car bone stock, first time out the balance fell off so did the cam and headers all at once.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:41 AM
brightc6
Pro

Originally Posted by D.Guerra
Shawn is a good guy. He's always done my tunes, matter of fact he'll be doing mine when these LTs and complete exhaust gets installed.
Shawn is a good guy, he has helped me out in everyway he can. I have no reason to think the tune is off. He said he wants to port it and redo the dyno, he is giving me a good deal so that will be happaning next week.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 AM
brightc6
Pro

Also why is it so far fetched to believe my car made good numbers?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I did a cam and LS3 top end and picked up 100 RWHP using a FAST, already had headers, so I have to agree that the first numbers appear high.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

Best thing would be (or would have been) to have some track times, make your changes and hit the track again. Dynos mess up. Look at your correction factors for each day. If the weather station values are messed up in any way, it can throw the numbers off on either of the days you dyno'd.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default original numbers great

Originally Posted by brightc6
Like the title reads, I have a cam only ls2 2007 corvette. The car made 441/446 before i put the FAST 102 intake the car. First pull untuned car picked up 1 hp, after tuner messed with it for a while it got to 5 hp. I read soooooo much that FAST 102 is a must have for LS2 cars that i bought into the hype and very disapointed.

Same dyno, same tuner, 30 days apart, no other changes where made.

Car has
kooks 1 7/8 headers
z06 mufflers open baffle
cam 223/235 615 621 113
vararam
25% underdrive pulley
port TB
STOCK unported ls2 intake

made 441/446 with that setup

added
fast 102 (unported) w/ vmax ring

made 446/447

any ideas?
your original numbers look great.appears you picked up approx. 110rwhp with them. who knows why your new numbers arent showing much of a gain.my auto LS2 car picked up 65rwhp with ported Fast and OBX LT's with no tune.what size converter are you using in car? just my opinion but that has to be one hell of a camshaft to make that kind of power in a LS2.

Last edited by irok; 03-13-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM
brightc6
Pro

stock converter...I drive the car on trips and didn't want to worry about it have any tranny heating issues.

as far as track times go....I did go to 1000ft track while I was in Arkansas so really hard to just times off of that. car ran 9.70 at 111mpn with 1.95 60ft. Keep in mind that is still 320 ft short of a full 1/4 so that means car should be solid 11 second 1/4 car on street tires.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:40 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Is your v max ring on both before and after? also it has to be a tuning or wrong correction factor, the proof is in the pudding, the fast intake in 90 92 102 has shown great gains in the LS2 in all cases I have seen. I myself have seen no less then 30 tq hp over the whole entire rpm band with just bolt/ons, so if you haven't and nothing else has changed, the tuner is great, then maybe a bad injector, I'm just guessing. but your tuner should know, I just ask you this. do you actually think with all the testimony and proven dyno and track times that you have the only fast that shows such insignificant gains, maybe a defect, send it back and get another one or have the tune figure it out because it makes no sense, was the converter locked and in the same gear both pulls
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
brightc6
Pro

yes asked those same questions...converter locked both pulls, same gear both pulls, both numbers are corrected. trust me I have read all the threads about how great the fast intake, hints why I spent the 800 bucks for one. As for it being defective that is why the tuner wants to take it off and check everything out in the intake.

I doubt it is a bad injector, car has no miss and runs very smooth.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

I have seen a couple run very smooth, and the dyno was lower then expected they found a bad injector, i have seen broken valve spring with no signs of a miss just a lot slower et
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
0FederalPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the hell is a V Max ring?
And I'll never understand why people will bolt on all these parts to a set of poor flowing stock cathedral port 243 heads and expect to gain a million hp... The intake valve (and those stock LS exhaust ports) are always the biggest impediment to airflow.
Buy some AFR's or TrickFlow 225 heads and see your numbers really climb!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FederalPerformance
Wondering the same thing??

And I'll never understand why people will bolt on all these parts to a set of poor flowing stock cathedral port 243 heads and expect to gain a million hp... The intake valve (and those stock LS exhaust ports) are always the biggest impediment to airflow.
What about CNC / valve job 243s?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default what tire

stock converter...I drive the car on trips and didn't want to worry about it have any tranny heating issues.

as far as track times go....I did go to 1000ft track while I was in Arkansas so really hard to just times off of that. car ran 9.70 at 111mpn with 1.95 60ft. Keep in mind that is still 320 ft short of a full 1/4 so that means car should be solid 11 second 1/4 car on street tires.
what tire did you have on the car for the 9.70 1000ft?your car should easily run an 11.40 with a tire on it
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I upgraded my LS2 I opted for a CNC ported set of Pro Comp heads. Comparing them to the stock heads the intake runners were notably bigger. I should have taken some side by side pics.

My thoughts on intakes is that they should match the heads. Runner openings and sizes need to be the same especially at the surfaces where they meet. And in this case the differences were pretty significant.

I thought about ordering a Fast intake, but then what head are they sized for. Are they designed to fit a stock head with those small runners? And spend in excess of a thousand bucks to pick up maybe 15 to 20 horsepower at the most?

I decided to pick up a second stock intake for a couple of hundred bucks. I then made a pattern from my CNC ported heads and securely mounted to the head. I then mounted the intake on it and tightened it up just enough to insure it was centered. Then I pulled it off transferring the pattern to the intake. Then I spray painted it white. The difference in the size of the runners on the new CNC head meant that the intake needed to be opened up right to the limit of what it allowed.

Porting it was real easy. Plastic grinds away a lot easier than steel or Aluminum heads. Sanding rolls were all I needed for my die grinder. I continued the pattern size as far up into the intake as possible and smoothed out a lot of rough casting spots.

I was real happy with it and have a port matched intake and that alone probably picked up as much or more power than going to a Fast.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys, for whatever it's worth.

Last edited by Danny Richie; 03-13-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Also why is it so far fetched to believe my car made good numbers?
I don't think anyone is saying it's far fetched, we're all just saying the car is actually at the numbers it should be with the fast102. Especially being a Automatic car. 450 is what ls2 cars make mild cam, headers, and fast.

My advice is let the car be, and don't chase a dyno number.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

an over priced tornado

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 gained 5hp with FAST 102? HELP!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

or get them ported by a shop like Cartek who really knows how to extract the power from the 243 head
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
When I upgraded my LS2 I opted for a CNC ported set of Pro Comp heads. Comparing them to the stock heads the intake runners were notably bigger. I should have taken some side by side pics.

My thoughts on intakes is that they should match the heads. Runner openings and sizes need to be the same especially at the surfaces where they meet. And in this case the differences were pretty significant.

I thought about ordering a Fast intake, but then what head are they sized for. Are they designed to fit a stock head with those small runners? And spend in excess of a thousand bucks to pick up maybe 15 to 20 horsepower at the most?

I decided to pick up a second stock intake for a couple of hundred bucks. I then made a pattern from my CNC ported heads and securely mounted to the head. I then mounted the intake on it and tightened it up just enough to insure it was centered. Then I pulled it off transferring the pattern to the intake. Then I spray painted it white. The difference in the size of the runners on the new CNC head meant that the intake needed to be opened up right to the limit of what it allowed.

Porting it was real easy. Plastic grinds away a lot easier than steel or Aluminum heads. Sanding rolls were all I needed for my die grinder. I continued the pattern size as far up into the intake as possible and smoothed out a lot of rough casting spots.

I was real happy with it and have a port matched intake and that alone probably picked up as much or more power than going to a Fast.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys, for whatever it's worth.

And what gains did you see from your PRO Comp heads???
Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96mogt
And what gains did you see from your PRO Comp heads???
I did heads, headers, intake, air cleaner, torque converter,and everything all at once. So it is hard to say what each thing made. My best guess is the heads made a good 50 more ponies over the stock heads on a motor like mine.

I did a mini review of the heads. If you are interested I'll find a link to it.

I haven't dyno'ed it, but will be taking it to the strip on Saturday.

Quick Reply: LS2 gained 5hp with FAST 102? HELP!!!