C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating headers/x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Ceramic coating headers/x-pipe

I am looking at getting a set of LG headers & X-pipes w/cats for my 2013 Base C6. The only engine performance mods I have done so far are Borla S-Type II axle-back exhaust and Corsa CAI. While I am very interested in a more agressive rumble, I am also looking for a decent HP gain after the headers and tune are complete. I found this video on YouTube and have a question:

Around the 3 min mark they state that ceramic coating improves performance and reduces heat radiation by keeping the heat inside the pipes longer. I was wondering, would that mean that having the ceramic coating on both the headers and X-pipes give more HP? Will this also reduce the amount of heat radiating below the center console of the C6? I know they sell barriers you can get to cut down the heat entering the cabin below the console, but would ceramic coating of the X-pipes do this, too?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yes, ceramic coating the xpipe would do that. Most people don't do it for the cost. I just put a set of fully ceramic coated 2" ARH with a coated x-pipe on my car.

That being said I had uncoated LGs on it before and had zero issues with them but since I moved to AZ I wanted to do everything possible to fight heat.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you want them to stay chrome like, or want a custom color like, white, black, yellow...then yes coating them is the only way you will get something like that.

I know they say it is a big performance enhancer but we haven't seen any HP gains by doing so, and not much in the way of heat control. On a street car it might help a bit, but when we were fighting heat and cockpit temps on the ALMS car we actually burned the entire coating off the headers in two practice sessions but I don't think you will put them through quite that much abuse.
The following users liked this post:
ericdwong (12-16-2015)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 PM
zoomz
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I did coated headers and mid pipe and i cant see any performance gain but the center console is at least 50% cooler .

Now my iphone doesnt go into limp mode ,, haha
The following users liked this post:
ericdwong (12-16-2015)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:04 AM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I own a 2012 GS with coated (inside and out) headers, after 20 months and 6k miles of street driving the headers are peeling badly. Since its a show car, I now must spend the money to resolve this issue.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by DezVette
I am looking at getting a set of LG headers & X-pipes w/cats for my 2013 Base C6. The only engine performance mods I have done so far are Borla S-Type II axle-back exhaust and Corsa CAI. While I am very interested in a more agressive rumble, I am also looking for a decent HP gain after the headers and tune are complete. I found this video on YouTube and have a question:

Around the 3 min mark they state that ceramic coating improves performance and reduces heat radiation by keeping the heat inside the pipes longer. I was wondering, would that mean that having the ceramic coating on both the headers and X-pipes give more HP? Will this also reduce the amount of heat radiating below the center console of the C6? I know they sell barriers you can get to cut down the heat entering the cabin below the console, but would ceramic coating of the X-pipes do this, too?
Does Corsa make a CAI??
Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can afford to coat them, do it. I had shorty BBK's on my C5 and they were coated and years later they still were like new. I recently sold my LT headers because of money issues, but when I buy a new pair again soon I'll get them coated.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:32 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Any issues coating the cats? Obviously that's the hottest point.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 PM
DezVette
Pro

Thanks guys! I ended up going with the LG Super Pro 1-3/4" headers with coated x-pipes and cats. I also opted for the LG tunnel plate upgrade as a way of cutting down the cabin heat in the center console. I keep my iPod touch in there and at $400 + frustrations of replacing that I feel the extra $200 for coating is well worth it!

No Anthony, I do not drive like the ALMS guys. But, I still have fun doing so!
Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Does Corsa make a CAI??
here you go
Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a great setup, do you now what temp coating you got?

I am having my Kooks coated black, they claim 2000 degree, I guess we'll see
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 PM
DezVette
Pro

I am getting the Airborn 1700 Deg Polished Silver Jet Coat. They do not offer temp options for the x-pipe other than yes/no. I opted "yes".
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys! I ended up going with the LG Super Pro 1-3/4" headers with coated x-pipes and cats. I also opted for the LG tunnel plate upgrade as a way of cutting down the cabin heat in the center console. I keep my iPod touch in there and at $400 + frustrations of replacing that I feel the extra $200 for coating is well worth it!

No Anthony, I do not drive like the ALMS guys. But, I still have fun doing so!

here you go
No Guy!! There you go wasting your $$$$...
Old 05-03-2014, 11:55 PM
DezVette
Pro

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
...your $$$$...
I will give you partial credit for being partially correct...
Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I will give you partial credit for being partially correct...
You still have not answered my question..
Old 05-04-2014, 12:36 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally don't think the cost is worth the HP gain. Especially on an NA car. However it would keep the under car temps down.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic coating headers/x-pipe

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating headers/x-pipe