C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead, nothing, not even a click

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Dead, nothing, not even a click

So I think my new battery (4 months old) is toast. I thought I'd share my issues to see if there's something I should look at before I replace the battery.
09 Z06, new duralast battery. It would hold a charge for about two weeks before I had to recharge it. This weekend, I tried to start the car. It clicked a few times and went completely dead. I kept the battery on trickle charge with a Battery Tender for three days with no change.
I assume the constant recharging did the battery in.

But, is there a relay or a resettable circuit breaker that I should check. I have looked in both fuse panels and all looks ok as best I can tell. I checked both the battery fuses under the hood and they are good.
Thanks
Roger

Last edited by rabrooks; 04-21-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yup. Battery time.

Did you really mean "94 months old"? Typo, right?

Is there a reason you don't keep the Battery Tender on it all the time? A "tender" won't, or shouldn't, ruin a battery. My '08 has been a tender for 6 years if not driving. The battery is still strong but I'll probably replace it this year or next.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

What else would you need to look at other the the number 94 and word months in the same sentence?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:58 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by RicK T
Yup. Battery time.

Did you really mean "94 months old"? Typo, right?

Is there a reason you don't keep the Battery Tender on it all the time? A "tender" won't, or shouldn't, ruin a battery. My '08 has been a tender for 6 years if not driving. The battery is still strong but I'll probably replace it this year or next.
I fat fingered that one. I meant 4 months. The battery tender has been on other cars. I was using my regular battery charger. As of this past Saturday, that charger died. It's possible, it was part of the problem. I probably won't share that info with Auto Zone.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by saplumr
What else would you need to look at other the the number 94 and word months in the same sentence?
Edit, I fixed it. Couldn't find the shift key in my current state of mind.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 AM
ant21b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rabrooks
Edit, I fixed it. Couldn't find the shift key in my current state of mind.
Get a load tester from harbor freight tools and load test the battery after charging up battery with a known good battery charger. This will determine where your problem is.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:20 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Problem solved. The battery was dead. It was a new battery from Auto Zone. They replaced it with no problems. It never held a charge very long from the start. I guess that should have been a sign.
Cheers

Get notified of new replies

To Dead, nothing, not even a click

Quick Reply: Dead, nothing, not even a click