C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty void?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:38 AM
DezVette
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Warranty void?

I currently have a '13 C6 base model purchased from CarMax back in Jan. When working out the deal I opted for the extended warranty. It ended up being $8000 for 7yr/150k miles. I was not aware at the time that all claims would be required to be done by CarMax and not Chevrolet. Had I realized that I would have declined... Now that I am a few months into ownership I have done a few mods. Mostly cosmetic, but I have changed the stock exhaust out for Borla S-Type II axle backs and a Corsa CAI. I am contemplating the LG long headers and x-pipe with cats. That will be the only performance mods I would be making. What I am wondering is, would the headers, X-pipes, and required tune void the extended warranty? Or, is that already pretty much out the door with the exhaust and CAI? I realize it's a "fine print" and loophole area that would be hard to blindly answer without seeing my contract. But, as a general rule of thumb with the history of things, do you guys know if any of these mods would void an extended warranty?

Not sure why I even care, because in all likelihood I would not be taking my car back to CarMax for their "mechanics" to touch anything. But, it is more of a curiosity of mine to know where the line is to avoid crossing, performance mods wise...
Old 04-23-2014, 04:37 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Can't say for sure but the cat back should be ok but even the CAI may be pushing it. The headers and the tune are big no-no's. I got the extended warranty for my '11 GS and every thing I have found out since indicates that you can't do much to the power train before your warranty is compromised. You might be able to cancel your extended warranty and get a partial refund, just a thought.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 AM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

They will void your warranty for headers... Might even do it for the intake. Call the company and get your $$$ back. You will lose some but get back most. Do this now !!!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

$8,000 for an extended warranty?

You could have gotten a blower for that.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You should ask CarMax, their Warranty will have different rules than GM's.

The tune will kill a GM Warranty.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 AM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You don't track, so get your money back. Do you hear the gingle. These motors are tested to 300k miles. Save, save, save.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:22 PM
DezVette
Pro

Yeah, I plan on stopping at CarMax today to question getting the warranty refunded. I am not sure they will do it, though. After purchasing the car I had the finance switched to my credit union and that paid CarMax finance off. Once they got their money I am not sure they will return any of it, but it does not hurt to ask. Thanks for planting that seed...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:35 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mowe
They will void your warranty for headers... Might even do it for the intake. Call the company and get your $$$ back. You will lose some but get back most. Do this now !!!
Then contact Dennis Fitchner to see if you can get a GM GMPP warranty through him. Way cheaper with zero deductible than $8,000 and will be honored at any Chevy dealer. Good luck. Go here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/kens...ewal-news.html

PS: Those mods - if a service department can trace a problem back to the mod, even to the slightest extent, they will do so and you'll be f'ed.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:39 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DezVette
Yeah, I plan on stopping at CarMax today to question getting the warranty refunded. I am not sure they will do it, though. After purchasing the car I had the finance switched to my credit union and that paid CarMax finance off. Once they got their money I am not sure they will return any of it, but it does not hurt to ask. Thanks for planting that seed...
Every warranty I've ever seen is pro-rated and can be terminated at any time with the understanding you will be refunded the cost of the remainder of the unused coverage period.

These cars are fairly bullet-proof as long as they're not abused. What the warranty is really good for is all the costly electronic gremlins.

Last edited by vetdude; 04-23-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mowe
ABSOLUTELY DO THIS! If you are not going to use CarMax's mechanics, get back as much as you can. In many cases, if you have not used any of the extended warranty, some companies will refund the entire amount. READ THE fine print now, and act on it now. Good grief, $8K????

Get as much as you can back, then mod your car with the money.

Know this: your current, 2013 car still have a 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty. So far, what you have done has not "voided" the warranty. The only time an issue will come up is when you CLAIM a warranty item to be repaired under warranty. At such time, they can deny the claim, but the warranty is not voided. There can be a block put on future claims, but again the warranty for the car is not voided, just blocked from claims due to such things as a tune, headers which are not in compliance with EPA, etc. These things will show up on/at any GM dealer in the computer for your vin. That includes Cad and Buick should you choose to get it serviced there---and before you start laffing, some folks do choose them (see: post #30, "Sun Harbor Buick/GMC" http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-victim-2.html)

Good luck with it.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Do read the printed version of your extended warranty. I doubt if it says it's a CarMax insurance or extended plan. It is by Company X. Talk with them, too. But read it before you talk with them or CarMax so you know what to ask for instead of going in there and asking for whatever they will give you.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 PM
DezVette
Pro

Wow, I was waayyyy off. It was not $8000 it was 7/150k of MaxCare service for $1300. No matter the value it is something I would never be using, void or not, so I got it refunded while it was only a few months old. The prorated amount was for 98%, so that is better than purchasing a agreement to **** me off down the road with denying a service claim...

Now the question is what to spend that on...
Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wow, I was waayyyy off. It was not $8000 it was 7/150k of MaxCare service for $1300. No matter the value it is something I would never be using, void or not, so I got it refunded while it was only a few months old. The prorated amount was for 98%, so that is better than purchasing a agreement to **** me off down the road with denying a service claim...

Now the question is what to spend that on...
I know that this is not kind, but the devil made me do it.

Buying a Car For Dummies: Deanna Sclar: 0785555550919: Amazon.com: Books Buying a Car For Dummies: Deanna Sclar: 0785555550919: Amazon.com: Books
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

bad boy, bad boy!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
$8,000 for an extended warranty?

You could have gotten a blower for that.
Or at least blown.

Bought a Vette, an HHR and a Mercedes from Carmax. In every case, their extended warranty allowed you to take the car to either them or the franchised dealer. The deductible was $50 more per visit to go to Chevy instead of Carmax. The harmonic balancer went out on my 2007 Corvette. Took it to a Chevy dealer...the cost was over $2K, and the Carmax warranty covered it all except for the $150 deductible.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty void?

Quick Reply: Warranty void?