C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7swapMonster: Installing the LS7 into an LS3 based car

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default LS7swapMonster: Installing the LS7 into an LS3 based car

As always, before getting into this write-up, I would like to ask each person reading to know a big part of my motivation for tech threads is the St. Jude’s fundraising effort on this board. I don’t think its much of a reach to understand why this cause is so important but unless you suffer such a painful loss as a result of a childhood destroyed by various illnesses. Try to understand it from the point of view of it happening to your world. The loss of a child changes you forever and I will never be able to relay the pain associated with it. Take a moment and send 20 bucks to this charity. We have the means to send robots to mars so I believe we can beat cancer, sudden infant death, and form new medications.

---------------Make a difference TODAY------------------
How to donate:

1) Personal checks, cashier checks, or money orders, made out to: St. Jude Children's Hospital and mailed to "pewter99,":

Robert Briggs
P.O. Box 17083
Clearwater Fl 33762

Please put your forum name on the memo line of the check

2) paypal: corvettes4stjude@aol.com

3) Go to:
https://waystohelp.stjude.org/sjVPor...9&programId=51
Follow promts, we get credit for this method.

Swapping in the LS7 or any bigger LS motor into any car that currently has one is a great way to improve power. In this thread, I swapped an LS7 into a Grand Sport for the owner Kenny who was a victim of a bad oil change. The LS7, which has the dry sump system, is a 95% connection to the computer with a few exceptions, the most notably is the LS7 map sensor. In most swaps you just use the sensors that fit the new motor but the LS7 and LS3 MAP sensors aren't wired the same nor does the LS3 MAP physically fit the LS7 intake manifold.

An intact LS3 will sell for about 4500 to offset the cost of an LS7.

Swapping in an LS7 is going to increase the value of a base or grand sport more than any other mod. I would think it would be close.

Here you see the two MAP sensors side by side and how they differ on the sensor end that goes into the manifold. You can't just drill out the LS7 intake because of the depth of the LS3 sensor's o-ring and the thin plastic on the LS7 manifold. The LS3 is a bosch sensor; the LS7 a Delphi.

Once you understand that, your two tasks are to get the different connector and wire it to your LS3 car. Yes they use different connectors as seen below. The connector for the LS7 also wires in a different order than the LS3 sensor. The tune must also be altered for the values that work with the LS7.

Connector changes with the LS7 on the left:

LS3 Corvettes switched to the Bosch MAP sensor in 2008. The Bosch MAP connector similarly oriented (retaining clip facing upward) - should be wired Green / Orange / Grey (from left to right).

LS7 has the Delphi. The Delphi MAP connector has the retaining clip facing upward - and the wires are Grey / Green / Orange (from left to right in the pic above).

You will also have to configure the "MAP Sensor Linear" and "MAP Sensor Offset" parameters of the tune to reflect the different output of the Delphi MAP sensor.

Calibration Data for LS7 MAP:

HPtuners, go to Engine diagnostics------Airflow tab------

MAP Sensor Linear: 94.43
MAP Sensor Offset: +10.34

Stock Grand Sport is:

MAP Sensor Linear: 128.13
MAP Sensor Offset: -.31

The finished results will net you a LS7 Grand Sport that is effectively a Z06 with a removable top by virtue of its steel frame.

An LS7 in a Grand Sport is a faster car because the first three gears simulate a Z06 with 3.90 gears in the differential. Track guys will see a shorter 60'.

The LS7 with good headers, air cleaner and dyno tune will see 480-490rwhp and 440-455 rwtq on the un-modded internals motor.

This swap was done at Under Pressure in Colorado Springs, Colorado which is a forum supporting shop. CK and I had it done in under 3 weeks even with issues popping up after a grenaded LS3 such as destroyed catalytic converters that had to be ordered. Kenny the owner of the car was a victim of Jiffy lube's lack of knowledge about the LS dry sump systems in which they didn't drain all the oil from both locations, then filling it with 10+ quarts of oil. The 16 quarts of oil then pushed into the top of the LS3 and hydro-locked his engine cracking a rod and sending it through the block wall. Their insurance paid for the LS7 and Kenny was out of pocket for the upgrade a few thousand with a car that is now worth more than a grand sport with an LS3.

Under Pressure in Colorado assembles short blocks too if you need a swap to something less conventional.

The shop's website:

http://www.uppcos.com/

Call CK for estimates:
(719) 575-0202

Just so I have something random and funny; this is CK and I at a Halloween Party:

Last edited by SpinMonster; 05-05-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Silver Bullet C6
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

UPP has a very nice website. Well, organized and plenty of info and pics.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default well now

tell us how the owner likes it and the difference of how it runs and feels through the gears. better than a real/regular ZO6 ? Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 04:22 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by skip89
tell us how the owner likes it and the difference of how it runs and feels through the gears. better than a real/regular ZO6 ? Thanks
The Grand Sport has gearing in the TR6060 transmssion that simulates 3.90 gears so it will be faster than a stock Z06 based on better 60's and getting into the power band faster.

He reported that he loves it but thinks its too stock sounding and docile with a lack of lope. He had 2 big cams in the past, one of them being the G6X3. Going to a 500hp car that idles like a caddy is kind of civil. The LS7 makes great low end TQ near 400rwtq by 3000rpm with the stock cam. The best H/C LS3s with huge cams are 400rwtq by 3500.

He plans on a H/C swap after he runs a few thousand miles while the motor is under warranty before ripping into it to get 600+rwhp/550rwtq n/a with my proprietary LS7 power cam and better heads. I'd like him to ride in an FI car first before settling because I don't think he can relate to 200rwtq more at 3000rpm than what he can achieve n/a. Turbo TQ is awesome as is the 2300 supercharger which fits his aftermarket hood that he already has. Both builds would cost the same.

He will be a repeat customer so prices ease up even though Colorado is already one of the lowest shop hourly rates in the country.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 05-05-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 AM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the great reply. I have a GS now but miss the Z and that great LS7 that comes with it that I used to have. I still like the C6 ZO6 well enough to sell a 13 GS and search out another ZO6. I don't like the new ZO6 as well as that LS7 third gear charge.
Still, might have to wait awile and go for a C7 ZO6. Its the future. Thanks
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by skip89
Thanks for the great reply. I have a GS now but miss the Z and that great LS7 that comes with it that I used to have. I still like the C6 ZO6 well enough to sell a 13 GS and search out another ZO6. I don't like the new ZO6 as well as that LS7 third gear charge.
Still, might have to wait awile and go for a C7 ZO6. Its the future. Thanks
Do you have a manual GS? An LS7 swap would bring that Z feeling back for less than your depreciation hit on your '13 + another Z purchase. And, you get to keep your Targa top.

Just a thought.

To comment on my LS7, if the spirited runs to 4,000 rpm are any indication of what's in store after 5,000 rpm, I'm in for a lot of fun
Old 05-05-2014, 01:39 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Swapping in an LS7 is going to increase the value of a base or grand sport more than any other mod. I would think it would be close.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:43 PM
c4love
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ls3 to ls7 map conversion

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
As always, before getting into this write-up, I would like to ask each person reading to know a big part of my motivation for tech threads is the St. Jude’s fundraising effort on this board. I don’t think its much of a reach to understand why this cause is so important but unless you suffer such a painful loss as a result of a childhood destroyed by various illnesses. Try to understand it from the point of view of it happening to your world. The loss of a child changes you forever and I will never be able to relay the pain associated with it. Take a moment and send 20 bucks to this charity. We have the means to send robots to mars so I believe we can beat cancer, sudden infant death, and form new medications.

---------------Make a difference TODAY------------------
How to donate:

1) Personal checks, cashier checks, or money orders, made out to: St. Jude Children's Hospital and mailed to "pewter99,":

Robert Briggs
P.O. Box 17083
Clearwater Fl 33762

Please put your forum name on the memo line of the check

2) paypal: corvettes4stjude@aol.com

3) Go to:
https://waystohelp.stjude.org/sjVPor...9&programId=51
Follow promts, we get credit for this method.

Swapping in the LS7 or any bigger LS motor into any car that currently has one is a great way to improve power. In this thread, I swapped an LS7 into a Grand Sport for the owner Kenny who was a victim of a bad oil change. The LS7, which has the dry sump system, is a 95% connection to the computer with a few exceptions, the most notably is the LS7 map sensor. In most swaps you just use the sensors that fit the new motor but the LS7 and LS3 MAP sensors aren't wired the same nor does the LS3 MAP physically fit the LS7 intake manifold.

Here you see the two MAP sensors side by side and how they differ on the sensor end that goes into the manifold. You can't just drill out the LS7 intake because of the depth of the LS3 sensor's o-ring and the thin plastic on the LS7 manifold. The LS3 is a bosch sensor; the LS7 a Delphi.

Once you understand that, your two tasks are to get the different connector and wire it to your LS3 car. Yes they use different connectors as seen below. The connector for the LS7 also wires in a different order than the LS3 sensor. The tune must also be altered for the values that work with the LS7.

Connector changes with the LS7 on the left:

LS3 Corvettes switched to the Bosch MAP sensor in 2008. The Bosch MAP connector similarly oriented (retaining clip facing upward) - should be wired Green / Orange / Grey (from left to right).

LS7 has the Delphi. The Delphi MAP connector has the retaining clip facing upward - and the wires are Grey / Green / Orange (from left to right in the pic above).

You will also have to configure the "MAP Sensor Linear" and "MAP Sensor Offset" parameters of the tune to reflect the different output of the Delphi MAP sensor.

Stock Grand Sport is:

The finished results will net you a LS7 Grand Sport that is effectively a Z06 with a removable top by virtue of its steel frame.

An LS7 in a Grand Sport is a faster car because the first three gears simulate a Z06 with 3.90 gears in the differential. Track guys will see a shorter 60'.

The LS7 with good headers, air cleaner and dyno tune will see 480-490rwhp and 440-455 rwtq on the un-modded internals motor.

This swap was done at Under Pressure in Colorado Springs, Colorado which is a forum supporting shop. CK and I had it done in under 3 weeks even with issues popping up after a grenaded LS3 such as destroyed catalytic converters that had to be ordered. Kenny the owner of the car was a victim of Jiffy lube's lack of knowledge about the LS dry sump systems in which they didn't drain all the oil from both locations, then filling it with 10+ quarts of oil. The 16 quarts of oil then pushed into the top of the LS3 and hydro-locked his engine cracking a rod and sending it through the block wall. Their insurance paid for the LS7 and Kenny was out of pocket for the upgrade a few thousand with a car that is now worth more than a grand sport with an LS3.

Under Pressure in Colorado assembles short blocks too if you need a swap to something less conventional.

The shop's website:

http://www.uppcos.com/

Call CK for estimates:
(719) 575-0202

Just so I have something random and funny; this is CK and I at a Halloween Party:
Hello Spin! - Long time since i chatted with ya. Anywho thank you for the write up here as always. Question do you just cut the ls3 plug off the harness an then wire the colors to matching color on the ls7 pig tail and change the tune?
Old 01-17-2022, 03:08 PM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Good info to know. I'm doing an LS7 swap in my GS sometime this year. Mine is the A6 and wondering how it's going to act with the 2.73 rear gear .
Old 01-22-2022, 11:25 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by c4love
Hello Spin! - Long time since i chatted with ya. Anywho thank you for the write up here as always. Question do you just cut the ls3 plug off the harness an then wire the colors to matching color on the ls7 pig tail and change the tune?
I had posted the wiring and tuning changes I did in the thread:

Stock Grand Sport is:

Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 AM
c4love
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I figured it out
Old 01-22-2022, 11:30 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Raffman55
Good info to know. I'm doing an LS7 swap in my GS sometime this year. Mine is the A6 and wondering how it's going to act with the 2.73 rear gear .
The A6 internal gearing makes the car have final drive ratios similar to 3.73 gears even though it has 2.73 gears. I don't recall the forum member's screen name but he ran 3.42's with a worked A6 and LS7 and was seeing 0-60 times under 2 seconds at the track. That was a final drive ratio that simulates 5.xx's on a M6 due to the A6's internal gearing.

Your car will be a lot of fun. Please post your take on the combo.
The following users liked this post:
Raffman55 (01-23-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 01:44 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts

The A6 internal gearing makes the car have final drive ratios similar to 3.73 gears even though it has 2.73 gears. I don't recall the forum member's screen name but he ran 3.42's with a worked A6 and LS7 and was seeing 0-60 times under 2 seconds at the track. That was a final drive ratio that simulates 5.xx's on a M6 due to the A6's internal gearing.

Your car will be a lot of fun. Please post your take on the combo.
your probably talking about Subfloor ive always wondered why thought the M6 is faster than the A6 even after its tuned especially knowing the internal gearing of the A6
Old 01-23-2022, 03:06 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
your probably talking about Subfloor ive always wondered why thought the M6 is faster than the A6 even after its tuned especially knowing the internal gearing of the A6
Yes, it was subfloor. He took the A6 to new heights testing the clutch plates from that vendor. .He ran 9's consistently and his 1.98 0-60 had me drooling. His use of 3.42's with the A6 had effective first gear the same as an M6 would be with 5.33's. He dead hooked and proved that gears improve the pull out of the hole provided you have the right tire.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:22 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Yes, it was subfloor. He took the A6 to new heights testing the clutch plates from that vendor. .He ran 9's consistently and his 1.98 0-60 had me drooling. His use of 3.42's with the A6 had effective first gear the same as an M6 would be with 5.33's. He dead hooked and proved that gears improve the pull out of the hole provided you have the right tire.
if thats the case then what is my A6 with 2.73 effectively? i have a Yank PAS 3400
Old 01-25-2022, 12:16 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

if thats the case then what is my A6 with 2.73 effectively? i have a Yank PAS 3400
Something like 4.30's on an M6. With the Yank, a great combo, you should do well and can cam the LS& without worrying about high idle speeds.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:16 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

Something like 4.30's on an M6. With the Yank, a great combo, you should do well and can cam the LS& without worrying about high idle speeds.
i wish my car ran like a M6 with 430s lol yea and a cam is in its future

Get notified of new replies

To LS7swapMonster: Installing the LS7 into an LS3 based car

Old 01-26-2022, 02:09 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

i wish my car ran like a M6 with 430s lol yea and a cam is in its future
I wish you were here so I could help install the cam and create a real 9 sec monster.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:47 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

I wish you were here so I could help install the cam and create a real 9 sec monster.
lol for sure sir but think im going to need more than just a cam to run 9s
Old 01-26-2022, 11:31 PM
Omega Doom
Burning Brakes

also to add to that if im now running a shorter tire than stock than in theory that would mean ore gear am i right? im using a 275/40/17 MT DR

Quick Reply: LS7swapMonster: Installing the LS7 into an LS3 based car