C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 headlights look cloudy

Old 06-01-2014, 01:56 PM
riverrat68
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 headlights look cloudy

I have an 08. The head lights look like they are cloudy or have a film look to them. Condensation? Never see any moisture in them, but they just look like they have had moisture in them. I have seen the video of the guy heating them up and putting on new lenses. NOT for me. anyone else got any ideas.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really many options, either have someone rebuild them or buy new ones which can be very expensive. I guess buy used is a option, but you risk having the same problem all over again.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Sometimes when things seem to look a little funny, I just tend to not look anymore.

If you think it's moisture, try parking it in the direct sun for a few days to let it dry out.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The only other option besides buying new or used headlights, or installing new lenses, is to cut your exiting ones off, clean the film off the inside and re-glue them back on.

If it is moisture in the headlights, remove the rubber boots in the back of the headlights, and direct a hair dryer in there to dry out the lenses.

I did the lens cutting, painted my bezels black and re-glued the lenses back on.
There are a few tricks to assure that moisture won't be a problem after re-gluing the lenses back on.
I have a PDF of the entire operation if your interested.
It takes 10-15 minutes to cut off the lenses. Not long to reglue them, but 24 hrs for the glue to cure.

you can see where the lenses were reglued. The glue is hidden by the rubber gaskets and cannot be seen once the headlights are installed and covered by the bumper/fender.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 06-01-2014 at 07:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 headlights look cloudy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 headlights look cloudy