C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about cam on my 05 would like some input.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:17 PM
BuBbABFP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about cam on my 05 would like some input.

Hey ya'll! So I have a 05 with about 104k miles, the car runs great I have been taking care if it pretty well since I've had it. So I am going to be installing some PFADT Long tube headers along with the off road X pipe this coming thursday and I cannot wait! I am currently running the Corsa Xtreme cat back, from what I have been reading its gonna sound pretty hardcore.

Anyways, next month I would like to throw a cam on her, I was thinking of a TSP 228R with the 1518 Beehive springs to go along with it. Now my concern is do I need to upgrade injectors and timing chain? I not planning to do anything else to her after that. By the way I recently installed a brand new complete LS2 clutch assembly about a year ago and it feels great, should I be fine with it? Oh and by the way what length of Push rod would you all recommend me? I am not gonna tune her too aggressive as well.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I think the clutch should be fine but you are going to want to get a pushrod length tool to figure out what length to get. I don't know about injectors I will let someone else chime in.

Sounds like you're going to have a good time though .
Old 06-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Staffah
Intermediate

Might as well do the timing chain because it is likely the only time you will see it. Plus you have a decent number of miles on the original. Also consider a trunnion upgrade to help with the longevity of the rockers. The stock LS2 injectors are fine. TSP should be able to advise you what length of pushrod you need, but it is always good to check.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

We can get you everything you need, and a better cam for a cheaper price custom tailored for you!
I would normally recommend a timing chain upgrade at least if not a melling high pressure oil pump as well. Keeps everything in shape and provides everything you need over the stock pump! Those are the 2 most popular options.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

I wouldn't worry about a high pressure oil pump.

It adds drag to the oil pump drive shaft and the back of the cam and adds to spark scatter.

Pressure is the result of restriction, not added protection.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 AM
chevyguy3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
It adds drag to the oil pump drive shaft and the back of the cam and adds to spark scatter.
Umm, have you ever seen an LS engine?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:38 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chevyguy3
Umm, have you ever seen an LS engine?
That's my point, high pressure oil pumps are old school thinking
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The "oil pump drive shaft" is the crankshaft. And they add less drag than you would think on an ls engine.
They are LITERALLY a staple amongst ls cam swaps.

You should look at the dist cam gear in an ls cam sometime. Then tell me how it adds to spark scatter on the distributor...
Old 06-11-2014, 02:26 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
The "oil pump drive shaft" is the crankshaft. And they add less drag than you would think on an ls engine.
They are LITERALLY a staple amongst ls cam swaps.

You should look at the dist cam gear in an ls cam sometime. Then tell me how it adds to spark scatter on the distributor...
I'm aware of where the oil pump is on LS motor, I'vehad more apart tthan I care to think about. My point is that a high volume/hign pressure oil pump is old school thinking.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:39 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

It is def not old school thinking. You sure dont seem to know from your post.
Be that as it may, I have sold hundreds and installed nearly a hundred. The "gurus" like Kurt Urban even have said he uses the high pressure pumps and he has not seen enough "drag" on the crank to provide any evidence not to.
There isnt a need for high volume IMO and from what alot of other reputable people have said, but you cannot go wrong with a high pressure. The internals are alot higher quality and likely build to a better tolerance.
If you saw the pumps gm was selling a few years ago, THOUSANDS, that were damaged on the block face, you would not want a replacement gm pump.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:01 PM
glenB
Safety Car

It is def not old school thinking. You sure dont seem to know from your post.
Be that as it may, I have sold hundreds and installed nearly a hundred. The "gurus" like Kurt Urban even have said he uses the high pressure pumps and he has not seen enough "drag" on the crank to provide any evidence not to.
There isnt a need for high volume IMO and from what alot of other reputable people have said, but you cannot go wrong with a high pressure. The internals are alot higher quality and likely build to a better tolerance.
If you saw the pumps gm was selling a few years ago, THOUSANDS, that were damaged on the block face, you would not want a replacement gm pump.
When was the last time you saw Urban build a near stock engine???

Unless you deviate from a factory build in regards to bearing clearances or RPM range anything more than a basic factory replacement is a waste. Again, pressure is a result of restrictions in the oil passages, needless increased oil pressure is just heating the oil for no gain, in a street environment. Besides, the OP has a 104k mile motor, my advice would be to trend lightly with that kind of mileage.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:15 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Maybe you have not worked on many ls engines? How do you quantify work? The load your ac puts on the engine and directly on the crank would is way higher than an oil pump.
Most cam swaps are done on engines nowadays with over 80k on them. Tread lightly? Not likely. The force of the extra torque made by the crankshaft alone on a cammed or higher compression build or even more timing would have no issue overcomming the "drag" and will normally produce more heat in the oil anyway. That is why most cars and trucks nowadays have oil coolers or higher capacity oil pans.
Kurt can build and spec builds that are normally street driven. He is not a one pony show.
I know of many engine shops that exclusively use the 10295/96 pumps for all of their builds. Thousands of people and professionals can be wrong vs you being right?
Mosy fbody swaps are done with well over 100k on the clock and still drive hard.
In fact I have seen more phantom issues from low mileage cars than mid to higher mileage ones.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:19 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

BUT the melling 10295 pump does come with a stock relief spring for those too squeamish for pressure or ones that have their clearances too tight.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

To the OP if you have issues with the Pfadt headers please let us know. There are other options available.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:10 AM
BuBbABFP
Instructor

Thanks guys for all the input! We just finished installing my PFADT long tube to my Corsa Extreme...OMG.. does it sound like death on wheels!!! ������
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 AM
glenB
Safety Car

BUT the melling 10295 pump does come with a stock relief spring for those too squeamish for pressure or ones that have their clearances too tight.
I should have known better "“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Your attitude is as apparent here as it is over at LS1Tech. I would suggest you do some research on current practices on bearing clearances, oil pressure and oil type.

While this is a gen 1/2 the theory is still relevant
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...s_and_answers/

This is just one I came across from an oil manufacture
"Remember, Correct flow is more important to lubrication than pressure"
http://www.synforce.com.au/node/24

If you really want to know what they are doing today, get out from behind your monitor.

If you use the old adage about 10 lbs. per 1K RPM, then at the most he needs 70 lbs. . And since that figure was developed in the 60's and 70's oil quality has increased measurably to the point that the saying, while safe, isn't 100% true anymore. Production and competition engines are being built with tighter clearances that require less pressure to survive due to less waste from large clearances and modern oils.

The bottom line is you only use as much pressure and volume as needed and the stock pump provides plenty. But I understand, part peddlers need to keep the general public in the dark to keep selling parts.

I was done with this thread, until you made your childish remark ...... way to represent
Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BuBbABFP
Thanks guys for all the input! We just finished installing my PFADT long tube to my Corsa Extreme...OMG.. does it sound like death on wheels!!! ������
I have the same setup as you. Wait until you get the cam in and lean into it. You're going to be in heaven. In time, those Pfadts are going to become valuable in the used market.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about cam on my 05 would like some input.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:34 AM
nbm6spd
Intermediate

Default Pfadt's

Originally Posted by BuBbABFP
I know some people have had trouble with Pfadt's headers but I'm here to tell you mine are a freakin' work of art. Wait til you hear them with a cam. I have Corsa as well. How do you like the sound in the upper RPMs? I can't get enough.

I wonder if it's coincidental that the 2 most well thought out sets of headers I've ever had were both Tri-y? I put a set of Thorley's on a pickup in the early 90s and the fit on those were nice as well.

Last edited by nbm6spd; 06-13-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Im glad the headers and exhaust fit. I know there were quite a few problems with them.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: Have you thought about replacing the OEM balancer with and ATI unit. http://store.katechengines.com/bille...sioner-p2.aspx & http://store.katechengines.com/dampers-c41.aspx

Quick Reply: Thinking about cam on my 05 would like some input.