C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autozone Duralast Gold Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 AM
71corvette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Default Autozone Duralast Gold Brake Pads

I have a 2011 GS and I bought the Duralast Gold rear brake pads about two or three months ago. I bought them because they advertised that they were ceramic. I went on the website today and now they say they are not ceramic but are "OE spec". This leads me to believe they are semi metallic because they don't claim they are ceramic now for the rear or front.

The Autozone price was also cheaper than other ceramic pads and now I wonder if I got ripped off and that my rear pads are really not ceramic at all. Also, Autozone does not list any ceramic pads for the Grand Sport when they claimed the Duralast Gold ones were ceramic.

All of this leads me to believe that a bunch of us got suckered on what we thought were ceramic. I suppose it could be that Autozone caught their mistake on selling ceramics for the semi metallic price but I doubt that. However, when I did install them I thought they looked different than semi metallic.

Anyone else notice this change on the DG1419a and DG1419 brake pads?

Last edited by 71corvette; 06-14-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Ford1ton
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 71corvette
I have a 2011 GS and I bought the Duralast Gold rear brake pads about two or three months ago. I bought them because they advertised that they were ceramic. I went on the website today and now they say they are not ceramic but are "OE spec". This leads me to believe they are semi metallic because they don't claim they are ceramic now for the rear or front.

The Autozone price was also cheaper than other ceramic pads and now I wonder if I got ripped off and that my rear pads are really not ceramic at all. Also, Autozone does not list any ceramic pads for the Grand Sport when they claimed the Duralast Gold ones were ceramic.

All of this leads me to believe that a bunch of us got suckered on what we thought were ceramic. I suppose it could be that Autozone caught their mistake on selling ceramics for the semi metallic price but I doubt that. However, when I did install them I thought they looked different than semi metallic.

Anyone else notice this change on the DG1419a and DG1419 brake pads?
i have them on my 2012 gs and love them stops good and no dust
Old 06-14-2014, 01:33 PM
400ci94mm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Duralast Gold pads at Autozone for the front of my girlfriends 2011 GS, installed them 4 days ago.......they were advertised as semi-metallic and only cost $42.99.

They are awesome......no different at all from the factory installed brakes. Actually seem more quiet. The factory pads have always had light squeaking at some stops. These Duralasts are quiet and very smooth feeling.

Ridiculous for anyone to ever buy the GM factory for upwards of $450.00 for the front....$440 for the rear. My friend at a Chevy dealer was going to sell them to me for $245.00 front...$225.00 rear.

But hes the one who said to get the Duralasts.......he said the facgtory pads are really no better. He is correct.....
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

So when I look up the following part numbers:

Part Number: DG1419
Brake Pad Material: Ceramic

Part Number: DG1419A

So are you saying they really aren't ceramic?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:09 PM
400ci94mm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Homer3D
So when I look up the following part numbers:

So are you saying they really aren't ceramic?
These are the Dualast Golds I just bought and installed a few days ago......bought them from Autozone.

They are semi-metallic...........

Features & Benefits

Duralast Brake Pads are specially engineered to provide OE-like fit, form and function.
Platform specific friction (Semi-met and NAO)
Constraint layer shim
Slots/Chamfers per OE
Powder coated backing plate to resist corrosion
Wear sensors included per OE

Product Details

Part Number: MKD732
Weight: 2.0 lbs
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Notes: Semi-metallic
Anti-Squeal Shims Included: Yes
Brake Pad Material: Semi-Metallic
Installation Hardware Included: No
Package Contents: Brake Pad Set
Wear Sensor Type: Mechanical
Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.
This product may be shipped directly by the vendor to any eligible US addresses, excluding APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:45 PM
71corvette
Advanced

Yes, I thought they had changed but after looking again, the details do say that they are ceramic. This makes me feel a lot better because I thought they had misinformed us. Thanks for making me look again at the details. I also sent a note to Autozone so if they provide a different answer, I will post that. The autozone pads are significantly cheaper than every other ceramic pad I've found so I was concerned that they were actually semi metallic instead of ceramic.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:54 PM
71corvette
Advanced

I just looked again and what is the difference between the Duralast Gold and the Duralast Gold CMAX Ceramic pads? I checked the Duralast Gold box for the rear pads that I bought and no where on it does it say they are ceramic. I am not convinced now that the Duralast Gold pads really are ceramic. By the way, they don't offer the CMAX pads for a Grand Sport Corvette.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:02 PM
400ci94mm
Instructor

I just looked again and what is the difference between the Duralast Gold and the Duralast Gold CMAX Ceramic pads? I checked the Duralast Gold box for the rear pads that I bought and no where on it does it say they are ceramic. I am not convinced now that the Duralast Gold pads really are ceramic. By the way, they don't offer the CMAX pads for a Grand Sport Corvette.
Duralast Gold pads are NOT ceramic....they are semi-metallic.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 400ci94mm
I just bought the Duralast Gold pads at Autozone for the front of my girlfriends 2011 GS, installed them 4 days ago.......they were advertised as semi-metallic and only cost $42.99.

They are awesome......no different at all from the factory installed brakes. Actually seem more quiet. The factory pads have always had light squeaking at some stops. These Duralasts are quiet and very smooth feeling.

Ridiculous for anyone to ever buy the GM factory for upwards of $450.00 for the front....$440 for the rear. My friend at a Chevy dealer was going to sell them to me for $245.00 front...$225.00 rear.

But hes the one who said to get the Duralasts.......he said the facgtory pads are really no better. He is correct.....
You get more stuff with the GM pad kits. They come with a complete set of guide pin bolts. Since those run about $15 ea when purchased separately and are only available from GM and a few non GM vendors that charge about the same amount $245 for the GM kit was a steal.

Bill
Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Guinzu
Instructor

Website still shows ceramic as the friction material. Call a store and see what their computers show.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM
ChrisWantZR1
Instructor

Just spoke to the online Customer Chat. The person claims that the DG 1419 Pads are Ceramic. Still not sure, but, the real question is how well they reduce brake dust and will they wear the rotors more than normal.
Anyone have any experiences? My 2013 GS has 8300 miles on it and I just cannot stand the brake dust anymore.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

If it were me, I'd write to AutoZone. Most customer service and store personnel will not know what is what----they will read what is in front of them. If you pose the question carefully and clearly in your email, it will get answered with a definite response. It's up to them to research the actual pad composition for different levels, Duralast, Duralast Gold, etc. Be as specific as you can since more info may help them.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Arctic 05
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I looked my fronts up and it says they are ceramic. I guess I don't care either way, they are silent. My last ones squealed and drove me insane.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
ChrisWantZR1
Instructor

I emailed AZ corporate and wanted an answer to the question of the friction material.
Received the reply that the DG 1419 and DG 1419A are Ceramic friction material. I may give them a try.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I put them on my 2013 Grand Sport about 4 months ago. They are ceramic, silent, with no dust, and stop very well. I would never track my car so that doesn't matter. I have taken several spirited jaunts on the Tail of The Dragon US 129 in east Tennessee, The Blue Ridge Parkway, and about 3000 total miles on them with no brake fade.

They will look at you like you are crazy when you ask for Corvette Grand Sport parts at an Autozone or Advance Auto. If you go to a store and ask them they are going to go to their website and tell you exactly what it says below:
From their Website:
Front Pads
Features & Benefits

Optimum performance brake pads are positive molded to ensure a smooth progressive braking along with excellent stability and fade characteristics.
Direct OE formula and design match for superior braking performance which meets and exceeds the customer s vehicle requirements
Excels against the leading competitor s national brand for noise and stopping distance as well as rotor and pad wear
Premium shim design for better than OE noise dampening
Slotted and chamfered friction blocks match the original equipment design
Product Details

Weight: 3.9 lbs
Notes: Ceramic12 pad set.
Package Contents: 1 Set Of Disc Brake Pads
Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.
free 2-day shipping & free returns

Rear Pads
Features & Benefits

Optimum performance brake pads are positive molded to ensure a smooth progressive braking along with excellent stability and fade characteristics.
Direct OE formula and design match for superior braking performance which meets and exceeds the customer s vehicle requirements
Excels against the leading competitor s national brand for noise and stopping distance as well as rotor and pad wear
Premium shim design for better than OE noise dampening
Slotted and chamfered friction blocks match the original equipment design
Product Details

Weight: 4.5 lbs
Notes: With 8 pad set
Package Contents: 1 Set Of Disc Brake Pads
free 2-day shipping & free returns

Last edited by jsucraig; 07-24-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:49 PM
2008GT500
5th Gear

You know, I bought these, then returned them because no where on the box does it say they are ceramic. I think it said something like OE friction material. I think I'm going to order them again though since you guys say there's no dust. I also don't think it's a coincidence that the O'Reilly pads are also part number 1419 and ceramic for 2x the price.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 AM
71corvette
Advanced

Autozone contacted me back and said DG1419 and DG1419A are ceramic. I also noticed about a $7-8 price jump. They are now $54 for the fronts. Regardless, last weekend I put the fronts on and I am happy with them. I only have 9990 miles on my GS and .087 of wear was already gone from the original pads. At that rate, they would only have lasted about 10,000 more miles. Regardless, I have almost no brake dust after a weeks worth of driving and that was what I was after so things are good so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Autozone Duralast Gold Brake Pads

Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Autozone contacted me back and said DG1419 and DG1419A are ceramic. I also noticed about a $7-8 price jump. They are now $54 for the fronts. Regardless, last weekend I put the fronts on and I am happy with them. I only have 9990 miles on my GS and .087 of wear was already gone from the original pads. At that rate, they would only have lasted about 10,000 more miles. Regardless, I have almost no brake dust after a weeks worth of driving and that was what I was after so things are good so far.
o
Good! It's always great to write to the company, ask them the questions compared to someone who has no knowledge of what they are selling (just a part number and a price). Now you have the definitive answer, in writing. If something goes wrong such as they are NOT what you thought or they said it was, you have recourse due to the email--save it in your new "brake pad" files.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 PM
71corvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
o
Good! It's always great to write to the company, ask them the questions compared to someone who has no knowledge of what they are selling (just a part number and a price). Now you have the definitive answer, in writing. If something goes wrong such as they are NOT what you thought or they said it was, you have recourse due to the email--save it in your new "brake pad" files.
As a follow up, I have had the brake pads on since August and so far they are quiet and my brake dust is very very little. They stop well and I am very happy with them.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 PM
jnrandall
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As a follow up, I have had the brake pads on since August and so far they are quiet and my brake dust is very very little. They stop well and I am very happy with them.
I am very happy as well. I purchased mine this past summer as well based on this thread you started, so thanks!

It stops my s/c 2011 GS, predictably, quietly, little fade and very little dust.

Quick Reply: Autozone Duralast Gold Brake Pads