C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Battery - Are they any better than a generic from AutoZone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM
JohnToner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Battery - Are they any better than a generic from AutoZone?

Are Optima batteries any better than generics from the likes of AutoZone or is it all just advertising puff? Also, Red Top vs Yellow Top?
Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

They are better due to being sealed and won't leak.....the guys at napa say that they see more of those come back than traditional batteries. I have no personal experience with them though.....
Old 06-19-2014, 06:40 PM
JohnToner
Advanced

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
They are better due to being sealed and won't leak.....the guys at napa say that they see more of those come back than traditional batteries. I have no personal experience with them though.....
Thanks, I'm interested b/c I've only had my car four weeks and I have no idea how old the battery is. When the current one was installed they didn't punch in the date info. The vehicle is 10 years old (2005). Because I work in the Compton, Lynwood, and Watts areas, (So. Cal versions of So. Chicago), and I'm not of the dominate demographic, a stalled car could be a serious problem. Especially since I don't get off work till 8:00 p.m. Whether it needs a new battery or not, I consider one to be cheap insurance.

Anyway, if an Optima battery is not all that optimal, should I be looking for a generic with the gel type electrolyte?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by JohnToner
Thanks, I'm interested b/c I've only had my car four weeks and I have no idea how old the battery is. When the current one was installed they didn't punch in the date info. The vehicle is 10 years old (2005). Because I work in the Compton, Lynwood, and Watts areas, (So. Cal versions of So. Chicago), and I'm not of the dominate demographic, a stalled car could be a serious problem. Especially since I don't get off work till 8:00 p.m. Whether it needs a new battery or not, I consider one to be cheap insurance.

Anyway, if an Optima battery is not all that optimal, should I be looking for a generic with the gel type electrolyte?
Optima isn't gel, it is AGM, huge difference. Autozone will test your current battery for free, so why not do that.

I retired in November from the company that makes Optima as well the generic Autozone battery. I have an Optima in all my cars and trucks.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

It would be doubtful if your 2005 is still on the stock battery. I replaced the one in my 2005 in 2010 with a red top. Hard to say if they are better than any other battery out there, but it performed as I expected with a fairly high powered aftermarket audio system.

If you are really worried about the condition of the battery, you can have it tested or better yet get a battery tender that removes sulfation and reconditions the battery. Check out Battery Minder . COM. I had one and it worked flawlessly. Plug it in when you are not driving it and it will keep the battery in tip top shape. That’s cheap insurance right there.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I replaced my first Optima RED top at 5 1/2 years. It was still going strong I just want to avoid future problems. I replaced it with another RED top. That was almost two years ago and it's still strong. I have a YELLOW top in my other car. I'm sold on Optima and that's all I will ever buy.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

I replaced the battery in my '08 about a year ago. It seems that modern batteries last 4-6 yrs, so i think that you are either getting towards the end of your 2nd batt or just starting on your 3rd.
I would get it tested and if there was any indication that it is degraded, I would get a new AZ or Oreiley, Walmart, premium battery. The Optima may in fact be a better battery, but it appears that they also have more failures/returns. I wouldn't pay the premium price.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 PM
needcheese
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just purchased an A/C delco a few weeks ago for about $121 after tax from that ABC store.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:46 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a red top battery before and really wasn't impressed because it didn't last any longer than my AC Delco battery.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:57 AM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you will find multiple opinions on this subject, some good and some bad. I replaced the Delco original on my 06 last year with a Costco battery and so far have been 100% satisfied. Hard to beat for $65.99 with a free replacement warranty for 3 years and a total limited warranty time of 100 months.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I replaced my first Optima RED top at 5 1/2 years. It was still going strong I just want to avoid future problems. I replaced it with another RED top. That was almost two years ago and it's still strong. I have a YELLOW top in my other car. I'm sold on Optima and that's all I will ever buy.
I use the yellow top because when in 95* traffic with FI and 160* thermostat/fan early turn-on, the current draw is pretty high and I wanted something that was deep cycle. It's been in 3 years and works great. Could I have been ok with the stock battery, maybe, i don't know but on Amazon, the price was right for the Optima so I decided to give it a try.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:21 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

If you show your car the Optima batteries are "cosmeticly pleasing". I've had several Red and Yellow tops and mistakenly replaced one for what turned out to be a serious fuse block problem. I'm sticking with them.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've had Red Tops in a few cars and, while they never caused any issues, they really didn't provide much value over a run of the mill AutoZone, Walmart or Costco battery for me so I stopped buying them.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnToner
Are Optima batteries any better than generics from the likes of AutoZone or is it all just advertising puff? Also, Red Top vs Yellow Top?
I have to say I am not impressed at all with my first experience with Optima. See my post from my 2nd failure:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...r-quality.html

The original battery was purchased from Autozone in 2008 for my 69 and it has been replaced FREE 2 times under warranty. Both died at or about 2.5 years. However you should be aware that Optimas now carry only a 3 year warranty and they are done, so I was fortunate. The standard AZ battery is 3 free then prorated x years.

Also note that this was on my C3 which is an occasional driver and only 3 to 5 k per year, but I used a battery minder and have a disconnect so that the battery is disconnected during storage periods longer than a couple of weeks. Also there are no issues with the alternator or shorts causing the battery to drain on the car.

The last time this happened a few months ago AZ gave me the choice to change to a standard battery or try another Optima. I chose the Optima but the jury is still out. I have stopped using the battery minder and plan to test the battery voltage occasionally just for S#@ts and grins based on the info from Optima Jim on my post.

I just purchased a lightly used 2008 and the first thing was the original battery was DOA. I DID NOT go with an Optima on it, just the top of the line standard AZ battery.
Take a look at the info on my post, there is a lot of info there if you can decipher the BS. If I get 6 years out of the NEW Optima I will be happy, if I get 10 or 20 as some say I will be estatic but I am not holding my breath.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Batman 357
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Bad luck with Optima. I bought NAPA.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:22 PM
JohnToner
Advanced

Originally Posted by Batman 357
Bad luck with Optima. I bought NAPA.

I may have screwed up, time will tell. I went to AZ, they wanted $200.00 plus disposal fee and tax. So I ordered a Red Top online, $140.00 total, free shipping, and no core charge. If it lasts five years it will likely out last me. (I'll be 76 in January, still working full time.)
Old 06-21-2014, 01:52 PM
chevyguy3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Optimas were good a long time ago, especially when they had the better warranty (go figure they ditched the lifetime warranty once the batteries started to be crap). Somewhere around 6-8 years ago the quality went to hell. I got several red tops that were junk before giving up on them, and every friend of mine who has bought one has had problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Battery - Are they any better than a generic from AutoZone?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:19 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Another interesting tidbit: Costco used to carry them a few years ago but gave up. I asked about it once and was led to believe it was a return issue.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:40 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
I think you will find multiple opinions on this subject, some good and some bad. I replaced the Delco original on my 06 last year with a Costco battery and so far have been 100% satisfied. Hard to beat for $65.99 with a free replacement warranty for 3 years and a total limited warranty time of 100 months.
I have heard nothing but good things about CostCo batteries. May have to consider becoming a member just for the batteries :-)

By the way, when I replace the battery in my 2008 coupe I discovered that AAA does not have batteries for late model Vettes.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I was told to stay away from Optimas. Well I bought one not for my corvette, but it seemed like it wouldn't hold charge for too long. All I know is that people return them all the time due to failures.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery - Are they any better than a generic from AutoZone?