C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Shock Bushings

I cannot seem to find part numbers or source new GM bushings for the front or rear shocks. Is it possible to get just the bushings?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think so. At least the OEM parts.

But if you post a WTB (want to buy) then you can probably find someone that has some old ones laying around in their garage that they'd probably give to you.

Or you can buy harder poly versions from someone like forum vendor DRM (Doug Rippie Motorsports). Don't have a part number, so just call Randy http://dougrippie.com/products/c6-co...hocks-for-c6z/ or send him a PM http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...randy-drm.html
Old 06-22-2014, 10:38 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Mark2009 thanx for the info. I just installed bilstein's in the front and wound up using my old stuff was curious if I could get OEM bushings, Poly is not an option. I'm going to put up some pictures of the bilstein crap later.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
JohnToner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Mark2009 thanx for the info. I just installed bilstein's in the front and wound up using my old stuff was curious if I could get OEM bushings, Poly is not an option. I'm going to put up some pictures of the bilstein crap later.
I'm not familiar with their design, but are they essentially cylindrical with a hole passing through them? If so, and you have a friend with a lathe, it would be easy to turn some from the material of your choice. The cost wouldn't likely be more than a six-pack.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

What's wrong with what came with the Bilsteins? DRM says their OK unless you want to do some serious track stuff with their optional harder poly bushings.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:27 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnToner
I'm not familiar with their design, but are they essentially cylindrical with a hole passing through them? If so, and you have a friend with a lathe, it would be easy to turn some from the material of your choice. The cost wouldn't likely be more than a six-pack.
That is over simplified, no less.

OEM bushing are molded with smaller shoulder to provide a formed fit into the bracket, Bilstein type is just universal bushing without smaller formed shoulder. Essentially, when tighten, without shoulder to provide an locator, bushing will just squeeze out every which way - its a major distortion before use which will guaranteed permanent deformation. If you have actual experience with these type of shoulderless bushing, then you would understand.

If you understand shocks will move not only in an up/down motion but rather articulate in various angles under dynamic functionality, then you would realize why vendor's charging high price for their unique designed, precision, a combination of fitted male/female, spherical articulating bushings for pin tops. Most of these spherical types use delrin to provide smooth articulation/response without the sluggish, delay reaction associated with the softer synthetic/rubber variety.

Case in point, my current set of F/R delrin spherical pin top bushings cost more than the Bilstein Sports. But unless you have actual first hand experience.........

Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 PM
JohnToner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
That is over simplified, no less.

OEM bushing are molded with smaller shoulder to provide a formed fit into the bracket, Bilstein type is just universal bushing without smaller formed shoulder. Essentially, when tighten, without shoulder to provide an locator, bushing will just squeeze out every which way - its a major distortion before use which will guaranteed permanent deformation. If you have actual experience with these type of shoulderless bushing, then you would understand.

If you understand shocks will move not only in an up/down motion but rather articulate in various angles under dynamic functionality, then you would realize why vendor's charging high price for their unique designed, precision, a combination of fitted male/female, spherical articulating bushings for pin tops. Most of these spherical types use delrin to provide smooth articulation/response without the sluggish, delay reaction associated with the softer synthetic/rubber variety.

Case in point, my current set of F/R delrin spherical pin top bushings cost more than the Bilstein Sports. But unless you have actual first hand experience.........

As I said, I was not familiar with yours, but now I understand that yours have to move in other than a relatively fixed plane.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:29 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnToner
As I said, I was not familiar with yours, but now I understand that yours have to move in other than a relatively fixed plane.
Right on!

Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you expound on your comment that Poly is not an option? The reason I ask is because I have a set of Poly bushings on order and your comment makes me nervous.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Ditto on the above, especially since DRM offers their poly bushings as a recommended improvement over the Bilstein bushings with their revalved DRM Bilstein Sports.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:12 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Can you expound on your comment that Poly is not an option? The reason I ask is because I have a set of Poly bushings on order and your comment makes me nervous.
The reason I say that Poly is not an option for me is that I did a replacement on my Z28 of all the suspension bushings and motor mounts with Poly because I wanted to stiffin it up.

In my Corvette I am going for just the opposite, I am looking to soften up my ride. I will be going to non run flat tires when it is time to replace them.

for the rest of the world if you like the Poly on your shocks then that is Good for you.....but not for me.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

OK thanks. I hope my DRM Poly bushings are C6 specific.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got around to install my DRM Bilsteins today...The bushings I used were the Delron bushings from DRM...Has anyone one else use these?...I haven't driven the car yet...Will road test tomorrow...Did anyone have any issues with the Delrons??
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My wife claims the ride is much softer after I installed coilovers.They maybe the answer to a softer ride!
Old 09-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Finally got around to install my DRM Bilsteins today...The bushings I used were the Delron bushings from DRM...Has anyone one else use these?...I haven't driven the car yet...Will road test tomorrow...Did anyone have any issues with the Delrons??
Um, I can't find Delrin bushings offered on DRM's web site. Maybe I'm wrong. Sure you don't mean Polyurethane???
Old 09-07-2014, 01:47 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Are these Bilsteins from the latest order DRM offered in June? I'm still waiting for mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Bushings

Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Amazon has many many shock bushings for sale...might be an idea...
Old 09-12-2014, 07:10 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Well since I installed my Bilstein shocks I have this squeak that is making me crazy , so I broke down and ordered a set of stock GM bushings for the front shocks, hopefully this will get rid of it.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Well since I installed my Bilstein shocks I have this squeak that is making me crazy , so I broke down and ordered a set of stock GM bushings for the front shocks, hopefully this will get rid of it.
I am currently waiting on a set of DRM Bilstein's with poly bushings. I anticipate the need to lube the bushings during install to avoid squeaks.

Quick Reply: Shock Bushings