C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:24 PM
graveyard
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Header alignment

Guys bought a set of Melrose headers and got a small problem when I get back to the car cat back (borla) it is tough to line up and when I get it in it pulls the x pipe over and it either hits the frame on the passenger side or the side of the transmission on the drivers side or both.Tried taking the hole thing lose and re line everthing and still same bull crap.
I called Melrose and they sent me a brand new set of headers and I put them on and they fit about the same but when you get form the behind the headers which I have the high flow cats and x pipe that is when things go hay wire.Now don't get me wrong these header fit perfect and look great,both sets, the headers is not the problem it must be in the x pipe.I love these headers they are coated inside and out and would love to make them work they are plenty of room on each side and not hitting nothing and couldn't ask for a better header.
They are a company called RANDOM TECHNOLOGY this is the company that make the x pipe and high flow cats for the Melrose headers.I guess I could take it to a muffler shop of some sort and they could make a few bends or something and make it line up a little better but I don't know.They are sending me a new X PIPE and HIGH FLOW CATS going to try that and see what happens but I don't think it will help, it might.Everthing goes good till I try to hook up the passenger side alxe back to the x pipe then cant get it to quit hitting things,i know it will be close but cant have it hitting anything.It will almost work but just not enough adjustment to leave enough room for clearance.You can take your hand and pull it away from whatever it is hitting and is ok till ya let go and then it goes right back.
Plus I have been doing this crap on my back on a concrete floor on jack stands and It is about to get old,cant stand much more if this just not enough room,and I got this thing 4 foot in the air I would say.
thanks guys any info might help
Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

are you sure the mid section is correct. the mufflers were changed in @ 2009 and the length of the mid pipes maybe your problem.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:46 PM
graveyard
Racer

not for sure,mine is a 2007
Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 PM
smaynor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, but you are not trying to put the X-pipe on upside down are you?

On my X-pipe, the left and right side appear slightly different where they join the headers. One side seems to be ever so slightly longer than the other, and the headers appear the same way. I could see where this could cause misalignment at the rear.

This is just a shot in the dark, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:44 PM
graveyard
Racer

Ya I put the long side on the drivers side,i think that is the right way,i turned it upside down just for fun and it would not even go on that way it was way off.
thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Sounds like a small obstacle...

You may have to cut the Mid pipe and then use slip clamps to line it up/seal it up temporarily... and use those to get you to an exhaust shop to have it lined up and welded...

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Old 06-25-2014, 06:19 AM
graveyard
Racer

Ya I might need to do something like that
Old 06-25-2014, 07:52 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

could the cat back be possibly for a 09+?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Another thought... Did you loosen up the "axle" back section to make sure that was not secured in such a way that it's preventing the alignment?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 AM
graveyard
Racer

Ya losened up the cat back and everthing.It could be for a 09 but i bought it from a guy new in the box and he said it was for a 07 but who knows,are they a way to tell?He also said it was a window display model cat back that summit or one of them had in the window for display purpose's.I do have a little trouble hooking up the cat back that is on it now to he mid pipes you haft to turn the mid pipes a little and hold them there until you tighten the clamps up and then it is ok and you have plenty of room around everthing.

Get notified of new replies

To Header alignment

Quick Reply: Header alignment