C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove & Replacement of Rear Suspension Spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 PM
dofdear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remove & Replacement of Rear Suspension Spring

Not sure how this happened but my rear suspension spring has a serious crack. No signs of impact yet there is this crack through 40% of the composite material. The mechanic asked if some over-weight person sat on the passenger side (LOL). Not a chance!

Does anyone have the R&R procedures for the rear suspension spring. Will need torque specs for the bolts. Will the rear wheels require an new alignment? And finally a recommendation on the proper way to lift and support the rear of the vehicle to properly perform this task. Thanks in advance.

dofdear
2006 C6 Z06
Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Some good info in here including a link to LG Motorsports pdf for installing their coilovers. Just ignore anything to do with the front spring and engine compartment, you are only removing the rear spring:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...coilovers.html
Old 06-27-2014, 12:19 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

You could look for pfadt or lg's instructions for coilover installation to get the basic idea of what all needs to come off.

Also if you are interested I have a rear z06 spring with 7k miles on it I could let go of for cheap.

Good luck though!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:29 AM
daz88
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a couple videos on youtube also
Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 PM
dofdear
Instructor

Okay, thanks to all. What about the torque specs for reassembling with the new spring? And is an alignment required after reassembly?

Last edited by dofdear; 06-28-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added another question about alignment.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by dofdear
Okay, thanks to all. What about the torque specs for reassembling with the new spring? And is an alignment required after reassembly?
4 corner balancing to get the corning weighting corrrect (why there are adjusters in the springs), then re-alignment.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM
dofdear
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
4 corner balancing to get the corning weighting corrrect (why there are adjusters in the springs), then re-alignment.
Dano, I'm not installing the coil-overs, R&R of the rear composite spring. It was suggested to use the coil-over procedure to remove the leaf and reverse for assembly. My remaining questions have to do with torque specs of the various bolts and whether a wheel alignment is required as a result of installing the new leaf spring.

Dofdear
Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by dofdear
Dano, I'm not installing the coil-overs, R&R of the rear composite spring. It was suggested to use the coil-over procedure to remove the leaf and reverse for assembly. My remaining questions have to do with torque specs of the various bolts and whether a wheel alignment is required as a result of installing the new leaf spring.

Dofdear
It pretty much boils down to the same.

Car up on lift or stands, wheels off, use a jack to take the A arms a touch, pull the bottom shock bolt to allow the A arms to droop down to take pressure off the springs, drop the springs out, install the new leaf springs, put the bottom shock bolts back on via the jack again, the tires back on, then off to have the car 4 corner balanced, then realigned.

Hence the spring end bumper are not torque valued against the A arms, but used to lift or lower the car via the 4 corners so you get the weight of the car balanced out at all 4 corners instead.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 AM
dofdear
Instructor

Default 4 Corners Balanced

Okay, now I get it. You are talking abount balancing the wheels and tires... So if the upper and lower control arms are not disturbed then is there a real need to perform an alignment?

Thumper

Get notified of new replies

To Remove & Replacement of Rear Suspension Spring

Quick Reply: Remove & Replacement of Rear Suspension Spring