C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Magnaflow Shorty Headers

Heyo! Magnaflow just came out with some shorty headers for the Ls2/3. I'm pretty excited, however they ain't cheap. I have used BBK shorty headers on my C5 and despite everyone talking **** about them, they actually performed very well and sounded great. I know many bros here are using ZO6 manifolds and are seeing 10-15RWHP gains, I'm thinking of saving up and buying the magnaflow and I expect similar gains.
I bought longtubes, but I sold them. At the time I had to sell them because I couldn't afford the install and tune because of bills. Now with the shorty's, I think I'll be able to install them myself because I did on my C5.
Anyone out there try these yet?
I don't think I'm going the LT route because I'm not a fan of the noise and I cant find a place to install them around here.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

CARB approved ?
Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
CARB approved ?
Per their web page $877 and no mention of CARB. I'm sure if it was CARB they would have said so. That's a real selling point.

Last edited by VET4LES; 07-20-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida

CARB approved ?
From what I saw, the C6 one are not.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

May I ask what you feel the benefits for you are with the shorties?

I always thought CARB approval was one of the main points of choosing shorties over LTs but it doesn't sound like these are? If you feel the Z manifolds will produce similar gains as the shorties, why not get them? You can probably find them cheaper and shouldn't have any issues with smog, inspections, etc.

You mention noise. I don't know you're sensitivity to noise, and it's purely subjective, but if you keep the stock mufflers, LTs with cats might not be that bad for you. I have LTs with cats on my LS2 truck with the stock mufflers/resonator and the sound increase is hardly noticeable. You can detect a minor increase in rumble but unless you're really on it, you wouldn't be able to tell. Granted my truck has a different stock exhaust system than the C6 but the engine is the same and I think the C6's stock exhaust is pretty tame.

You also mention install. I can't comment on that since I don't know you're abilities but it sounds as if you are willing to install the shorties/Z manifolds yourself? Do you feel the LTs are beyond you're capabilities? Perhaps you can find someone at a car show willing to help for some beer and pizza? You'd be surprised.

Not taking CARB approval into account (as it seems these might not have it anyway) and considering your concerns for power, noise, and ease of install, I think either Z manifolds or a used or cheaper brand of LTs would be money better spent. But it's your car, your money, and your choice. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:23 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I talked to them late last year and they told me that when they come out they would be CARB approved and that has been what the hold up has been.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I talked to them late last year and they told me that when they come out they would be CARB approved and that has been what the hold up has been.
I'd like to suggest that you also check out JBA Shorties. I had them on my LS2 GTO; I went with the Titanium Ceramic coated finish for their finish longevity, looks and also their thermal properties of keeping under hood temps low. After all this time, the finish looks same as new.

When I had my car tuned again after installing these and a K&N FIPK, I gained 32 HP and 35lbs of torque. Way more than I anticipated! It sounded awesome, definetely a deep, full header sound. It really pulled hard from about 2,500-6,000 RPM. I live in CA and these ARE CARB approved! A lot of folks kick around shorties, but when that's all you can do legally, they are way worth it. I got them about six years ago and they were on sale for $700. I think they are the best quality and design available too. http://www.jbaheaders.com/cat4ward.asp Take a peek and you wont be disappointed!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
From what I saw, the C6 one are not.
That's correct, not CARB approved and no shorties available.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:27 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shado

I always thought CARB approval was one of the main points of choosing shorties over LTs but it doesn't sound like these are? If you feel the Z manifolds will produce similar gains as the shorties, why not get them? You can probably find them cheaper and shouldn't have any issues with smog, inspections, etc.

You mention noise. I don't know you're sensitivity to noise, and it's purely subjective, but if you keep the stock mufflers, LTs with cats might not be that bad for you. I have LTs with cats on my LS2 truck with the stock mufflers/resonator and the sound increase is hardly noticeable. You can detect a minor increase in rumble but unless you're really on it, you wouldn't be able to tell. Granted my truck has a different stock exhaust system than the C6 but the engine is the same and I think the C6's stock exhaust is pretty tame.

You also mention install. I can't comment on that since I don't know you're abilities but it sounds as if you are willing to install the shorties/Z manifolds yourself? Do you feel the LTs are beyond you're capabilities? Perhaps you can find someone at a car show willing to help for some beer and pizza? You'd be surprised.

Not taking CARB approval into account (as it seems these might not have it anyway) and considering your concerns for power, noise, and ease of install, I think either Z manifolds or a used or cheaper brand of LTs would be money better spent. But it's your car, your money, and your choice. Good luck.

If they are CARB approved then anybody can run them, including those of us stuck with CARB rules. The Z06 manifolds are NOT original C6 and aren't legal. 15HP with CARB shorties (with original cats in the original positions) or 15HP w/Z06 non approved? I'll take the CARB headers please.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder8
I'd like to suggest that you also check out JBA Shorties. I had them on my LS2 GTO; I went with the Titanium Ceramic coated finish for their finish longevity, looks and also their thermal properties of keeping under hood temps low. After all this time, the finish looks same as new.

When I had my car tuned again after installing these and a K&N FIPK, I gained 32 HP and 35lbs of torque. Way more than I anticipated! It sounded awesome, definetely a deep, full header sound. It really pulled hard from about 2,500-6,000 RPM. I live in CA and these ARE CARB approved! A lot of folks kick around shorties, but when that's all you can do legally, they are way worth it. I got them about six years ago and they were on sale for $700. I think they are the best quality and design available too. http://www.jbaheaders.com/cat4ward.asp Take a peek and you wont be disappointed!
CARB approved JBA shorties are not available for C6 Corvettes. Check their catalog.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shado

I have used shorty's on my LS1 C5 and I loved them. I know they aren't long tubes, but they still put power to the wheels. The benefits are; price and install. I know I can put them in with help from my buddy, because we put them on my C5. LT's are way too much work for the install. I don't have the equipment to do that.
I have a Corsa exhaust. Don't get me wrong I'm not bothered by the sound so a great LS engine, I just prefer mine to be a bit toned down. I might still go with long tubes. Money doesn't grow on trees for me so shorty's+install+tune=rougly 1300. Longtubes+install+tune=2,000.
That's a lot of money for me at this point in my life. I would prefer the Magnaflow over the Z's because appearance, material and I wouldn't have to change the cats etc.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Long tubes are cake to install. They don't take any special equipment.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
they were easier to install than the shorties on my foxbody.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Thunder8
Racer

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
CARB approved JBA shorties are not available for C6 Corvettes. Check their catalog.
That is correct and my mistake. For some reason I had my LS2 GTO stuck in my head and not the Vette. I'm sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Thunder8
Racer

If they are CARB approved then anybody can run them, including those of us stuck with CARB rules. The Z06 manifolds are NOT original C6 and aren't legal. 15HP with CARB shorties (with original cats in the original positions) or 15HP w/Z06 non approved? I'll take the CARB headers please.
That is curious about the Z06 manifolds and not being CARB approved. I've known a couple of people in my Corvette Club in Santa Clara that ran them and didn't have any difficulties with passing smog. Since they are a stock item, but from another model, can they really tell by the visual inspection? I'd think the inspector would really have to know the Corvettes like nobody's business. What is the hang up to get caught with them in CA? Being they're OK to run on the Z06? I'm very curious to know? Anybody??
Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Unreal
You must be more mechanically inclined than me then. I wish I had those skills. Also the fitment of shorty's is on the money, a lot of the time LT's need some adjusting.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Thunder8
That is curious about the Z06 manifolds and not being CARB approved. I've known a couple of people in my Corvette Club in Santa Clara that ran them and didn't have any difficulties with passing smog. Since they are a stock item, but from another model, can they really tell by the visual inspection? I'd think the inspector would really have to know the Corvettes like nobody's business. What is the hang up to get caught with them in CA? Being they're OK to run on the Z06? I'm very curious to know? Anybody??

I know a lot of people that speed every time they drive that never get a ticket. Does that mean it's legal to speed?

All it takes is one "by the book" Inspector and the Z06 manifolds won't pass. CARB requires"original cats in original position". Since the Z06 cats aren't original to a C6 and aren't in the C6 original position they won't pass.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnaflow Shorty Headers

Old 07-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Wallacefl
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Either way expect about 8-12 RWHP..Calloway had some a few years back but likely couldn't sell them at the asking price. i still think that is good for the $
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

On a c6 longtubes are no harder to install than shorties. There is plenty of room unlike the c5 and fbodies.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Thunder8
Racer

I know a lot of people that speed every time they drive that never get a ticket. Does that mean it's legal to speed?

All it takes is one "by the book" Inspector and the Z06 manifolds won't pass. CARB requires"original cats in original position". Since the Z06 cats aren't original to a C6 and aren't in the C6 original position they won't pass.
Oh OK, thanks for the tip, I won't speed! Yea, that's going to happen.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Shorty Headers