C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ignition Wires = Big Improvements!

Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 PM
fastdoc71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grok
They were 9" overall. Those do look long. I'm pretty sure the seller will help sort out the error. Lets us know how it goes.
Yeah, in this case bigger is not better, lol. My wires measure just over 13" overall. Needless to say I contacted the seller. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Grok
Instructor

Originally Posted by ls1121
Taylor wires...great price....perfect fit ...and made in the USA.
Yep! They're a great outfit too. They also offer other goodies.

OML is 100% US too.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:12 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Super fast shipping too! I ordered mine this morning and less than an hour later I had a tracking number.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm in the market for a set of wires. Never heard of this manufacturer, are they reputable?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Grok
Instructor

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
I'm in the market for a set of wires. Never heard of this manufacturer, are they reputable?
I like these, though there are many decent manufacturers to choose from. If you can't find some decent suppliers near where you live, there are plenty of good venders on this site and on the web.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 AM
chevyguy3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdoc71
Yeah, in this case bigger is not better, lol. My wires measure just over 13" overall. Needless to say I contacted the seller. Thanks for the help!
The plug wires for LS trucks are longer than the cars, maybe that is what they sent you. Though 13" sounds too long even for the trucks.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:07 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Just got mine. Ordered 2 days ago. That was FAST!
It's strange that Grok's measure 9", Fastdoc's are 13" and mine are 10" and all supposedly the same part #. I think mine will be ok at 10".

Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
fastdoc71
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVRose
It's strange that Grok's measure 9", Fastdoc's are 13" and mine are 10" and all supposedly the same part #. I think mine will be ok at 10".

Yours definitely look to be the right size. I think you'll be fine. As for me, I told the seller I would take another set in the right size, but they offered to take mine back for a refund. They must be out of them. Apparently these things are selling like hotcakes! As a result, I decided to pony up some extra cash for the Granatelli plug wires ($135 shipped!!).

I am fully expecting a 19 hp gain as seen by a Camaro forum member
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I think they are selling like hotcakes. I got the last set of red and they only have blue left.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Grok
Instructor

Mine could have been a bit over 9", I ran out and measured them on the car with the coil covers on. Yours should be fine, hope to see a picture of the results.

I think they are selling like hotcakes. I got the last set of red and they only have blue left.
Probably, these things go in spurts. I get the impression that OML isn't a huge outfit, their webpage is sparse. I'm all for supporting the little guy if they deliver the goods!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

After reading the raves on this thread, I figured what the hay, I was planning on replacing the wires and plugs since mine was running a bit rougher as of late.

I messaged them and they said that depending on how you measure them, they would be between 9-11". They shipped fast, and they appear to closely match the stock GM wires in length. They look very well constructed.

Installation is not hard since mine is stock. I did put a small amount of anti-seize on the plug threads and mine did not come out by hand once loosened. I put a dab of DE grease on the spark plug end but not the coil end as these seemed "loose" and came off VERY easily. They are the exact length needed no excess, not too short, boots angled properly.

Took her for a test spin and got some gas. I have to admit that after engine warm up, she was running smoother than before. On the way back it threw the dreaded SAH, STC and engine check light and it bucked all they way back. I knew a wire came off. After she cooled off, the lead on coil pack 6 was completely off. I triple checked that they were all properly tight before I buttoned her up as I knew this is a common problem but perhaps because these wires were not baked on they did not hold? Or perhaps it is something else? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and not cast expulsions. So I put a tie wrap around each lead at the coil pack and NOW they are tighter hold than the Gooberment has on the money in my pay check! So this seems requisite if you are concerned about them vibrating loose.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

There is a new listing. I just ordered a set of RED ones like yours.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
There is a new listing. I just ordered a set of RED ones like yours.
Mine were a perfect fit. I could feel a difference driving too. Here you can see a comparison to stock wires.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Grok
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flame Red
After reading the raves on this thread, I figured what the hay, I was planning on replacing the wires and plugs since mine was running a bit rougher as of late.

I messaged them and they said that depending on how you measure them, they would be between 9-11". They shipped fast, and they appear to closely match the stock GM wires in length. They look very well constructed.

Installation is not hard since mine is stock. I did put a small amount of anti-seize on the plug threads and mine did not come out by hand once loosened. I put a dab of DE grease on the spark plug end but not the coil end as these seemed "loose" and came off VERY easily. They are the exact length needed no excess, not too short, boots angled properly.

Took her for a test spin and got some gas. I have to admit that after engine warm up, she was running smoother than before. On the way back it threw the dreaded SAH, STC and engine check light and it bucked all they way back. I knew a wire came off. After she cooled off, the lead on coil pack 6 was completely off. I triple checked that they were all properly tight before I buttoned her up as I knew this is a common problem but perhaps because these wires were not baked on they did not hold? Or perhaps it is something else? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and not cast expulsions. So I put a tie wrap around each lead at the coil pack and NOW they are tighter hold than the Gooberment has on the money in my pay check! So this seems requisite if you are concerned about them vibrating loose.
Glad people are enjoying their wires!

Hey Flame Red you may want to check out this DYI thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-of-pics.html

I used the dielectric grease on the coil end too but I "burped" out the trapped air as mentioned in the link. I also found that a dab, about the size of a grain of rice, was all I needed when it was spread uniformally at each end. I did the inner surface of the silicane first, then smeared any excess over the metal bits inside the boots.

Last edited by Grok; 08-05-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Grok
Mine could have been a bit over 9", I ran out and measured them on the car with the coil covers on. Yours should be fine, hope to see a picture of the results.

Probably, these things go in spurts. I get the impression that OML isn't a huge outfit, their webpage is sparse. I'm all for supporting the little guy if they deliver the goods!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Taylor wires...great price....perfect fit ...and made in the USA.
Exactly, I ran only Taylor wire on my builds. I had issues with my MSD wires not holding up to frequent plug changes. Then a buddy of mine turned me on to Taylor 10mm plug wires.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you guys replace spark plugs at the same time?
Does anyone worry about using ebay plug wires?

Last edited by Whis9; 08-07-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Ignition Wires = Big Improvements!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:35 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Originally Posted by Whis9
Did you guys replace spark plugs at the same time?
Does anyone worry about using ebay plug wires?
I took the plugs out and they were fine. I cleaned them up a bit and put them back.
They're not made by ebay. They're just sold on ebay like lots of other name brand stuff. This isn't a brand I've heard of but they are well made and I got no problem with ebay.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I can't imagine this scenario (well, maybe I can...), but is anyone saving their old wires just in case...? As in, just in case there's some early/premature deterioration of these new wires.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 PM
EVRose
Race Director

I still have the old ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ignition Wires = Big Improvements!