C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch not opening/closing reliably

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 03:36 AM
Steve.NZ
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch not opening/closing reliably

Hi all, I hope someone can help me out with this.

I have a 2009 C6 Coupe, and have had it for 2 years. Over the last year or so, I've found the rear hatch is getting more and more difficult to open or close as time passes.

I have read many forum topics about similar issues, but nothing quite like this, and no ideas as to what it might be, so far.

Here are the symptoms:

1) When I attempt to open the rear hatch, with either the key fob, the interior button or the exterior button by the rear registration plate, I get the same behaviour: Each time I press the button, I hear a mechanical noise, and in about 4 out of 5 cases, nothing else happens. If I am lucky, the hatch will open normally.
(From this I would surmise that it's not an electrical problem - relay, fuse etc as all methods produce the same result, and I always hear a mechanical noise when I hit the button)

2) If I press down on the hatch prior to pressing the button, it doesn't appear to make any difference.

3) If I have a door open while pressing the button, it doesn't help either.

4) If I use the key to manually open the hatch, it opens successfully every time.

5) I also have a problem when I try to close the hatch. If I press the hatch down gently, it no longer engages the automatic grab-and-close mechanism, which it used to a couple of years ago. I have to push down hard, and wait for the mechanism to click before I am sure that it is closed.

6) If I try dropping the hatch shut, from a height of 6" or so, it does not engage the auto-grab-and-close-thingy either, I have to push it shut manually.

7) One thing I am wondering. When I am inside the car, with the hatch down but not closed, and I look towards the rear of the car at the hatch striker, it seems to be a long way towards the right of the hatch closing mechanism - I would have expected it to be around about the centre of the mechanism. Is this normal?? (Refer attached image)

8) Also, when the hatch is closed, the middle of the hatch seems to be raised somewhat - maybe 3 or 4 mm (1/8 inch)? Is this normal?

So, I'm wondering if the rear hatch is misaligned - would someone be able to compare what I see with a C6 having a working rear hatch?
(Photo attached)

My service guy is suggesting I replace the locking mechanism, but I'm hoping I don't need to do anything so drastic (and expensive).

Any help or ideas appreciated !
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve.NZ
Hi all, I hope someone can help me out with this.

I have a 2009 C6 Coupe, and have had it for 2 years. Over the last year or so, I've found the rear hatch is getting more and more difficult to open or close as time passes.

I have read many forum topics about similar issues, but nothing quite like this, and no ideas as to what it might be, so far.

Here are the symptoms:

1) When I attempt to open the rear hatch, with either the key fob, the interior button or the exterior button by the rear registration plate, I get the same behaviour: Each time I press the button, I hear a mechanical noise, and in about 4 out of 5 cases, nothing else happens. If I am lucky, the hatch will open normally.
(From this I would surmise that it's not an electrical problem - relay, fuse etc as all methods produce the same result, and I always hear a mechanical noise when I hit the button)

2) If I press down on the hatch prior to pressing the button, it doesn't appear to make any difference.

3) If I have a door open while pressing the button, it doesn't help either.

4) If I use the key to manually open the hatch, it opens successfully every time.

5) I also have a problem when I try to close the hatch. If I press the hatch down gently, it no longer engages the automatic grab-and-close mechanism, which it used to a couple of years ago. I have to push down hard, and wait for the mechanism to click before I am sure that it is closed.

6) If I try dropping the hatch shut, from a height of 6" or so, it does not engage the auto-grab-and-close-thingy either, I have to push it shut manually.

7) One thing I am wondering. When I am inside the car, with the hatch down but not closed, and I look towards the rear of the car at the hatch striker, it seems to be a long way towards the right of the hatch closing mechanism - I would have expected it to be around about the centre of the mechanism. Is this normal?? (Refer attached image)

8) Also, when the hatch is closed, the middle of the hatch seems to be raised somewhat - maybe 3 or 4 mm (1/8 inch)? Is this normal?

So, I'm wondering if the rear hatch is misaligned - would someone be able to compare what I see with a C6 having a working rear hatch?
(Photo attached)

My service guy is suggesting I replace the locking mechanism, but I'm hoping I don't need to do anything so drastic (and expensive).

Any help or ideas appreciated !
you have two choices
put up with it
or replace the latch assembly
Mine is on the second one now and it is acting up again
it isn't hard to replace and you can get one from Gene Culley
forum vendor http://www.gmpartshouse.com/index.php
Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
you have two choices
put up with it
It shouldn't be that hard to replace yourself. I tried to get a pic of mine. It looks like you have a plastic surround piece on the opening. Mine doesn't have that but it looks like it drops in pretty close to center.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:41 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Try adjusting the striker. A quick comparison of the screw to striker distance in the two previous pics makes it obvious there is a large adjustment available.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Steve.NZ
Cruising

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
you have two choices
put up with it
Thanks for your reply.
I's coming to the same conclusion myself. I'll see how easy it is for me to source one at a reasonable price (I live in New Zealand, so international shipping will add to the cost).
It's looking more likely that I'll just have to put up with it
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Steve.NZ
Cruising

Originally Posted by EVRose
It shouldn't be that hard to replace yourself. I tried to get a pic of mine. It looks like you have a plastic surround piece on the opening. Mine doesn't have that but it looks like it drops in pretty close to center.
Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pic.
It seems that the latch mechanism is behind the carpet, so It seems hard to tell whether the striker is central in the latch mechanism opening as the opening itself is obscured by carpet?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Steve.NZ
Cruising

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Try adjusting the striker. A quick comparison of the screw to striker distance in the two previous pics makes it obvious there is a large adjustment available.
I'm not sure that the striker is adjustable. Also, Ive had a look at the bolts holding it in place, and it needs a Torx (6-star shaped) screwdriver which I don't have unfortunately

Get notified of new replies

To Rear hatch not opening/closing reliably

Quick Reply: Rear hatch not opening/closing reliably