C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700+ rwhp 93 octane daily driver C6 Grand Sport build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Patrick G
The timing being pulled is only for 150-200ms. This is the amount of time for the shift to complete. If you keep full timing during the shift, the actual shift times may extend to 250-300ms and be much harder on parts because there's more clutch slippage. I prefer a really fast shift because you can get back into the power faster. Log your shift times with 0% TM and 100% TM and see if you find the same results. For this to work, you'll need to have your shift times shortened vs stock, but not too much.
I am finding my times were slower with the TM on, and think its because of the timing pulled. Although its not for a long time, you are still losing power at every shift.
I will experiment more in the spring. Season is pretty well over here and I didn't get to the track much this year at all.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:47 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,181 Likes on 681 Posts

Nice ride.
Do you have a picture of the coolant crossover for #7 and #8?
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, I think I have driven that car. :-)
Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

As a fellow GS owner, I envy your build. If I were to duplicate what you did, could I get by with only selling one kidney?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Patrick G
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
Hey, I think I have driven that car. :-)
You have indeed sir.

We had a great time at the Texas Mile this weekend. My wife told me if I broke 200mph I'd have to sell the car so I did my best top end bracket racing of my life and ran 199.8mph not once but twice, LOL. Ran 169.7mph in the half mile which is pretty stout for my mild setup and stock run flat tires.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Danny Richie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have indeed sir.

We had a great time at the Texas Mile this weekend. My wife told me if I broke 200mph I'd have to sell the car so I did my best top end bracket racing of my life and ran 199.8mph not once but twice, LOL. Ran 169.7mph in the half mile which is pretty stout for my mild setup and stock run flat tires.
I don't think I brought the rpm's up over 3k at the most. It drove much like it did from the factory in those lower rpm ranges. Mild mannered and a good daily driver.

Congratulations on the high speeds. Very impressive.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Keeping trans temps down is a biggie obviously. This is why I run the stock torque converter. Builds much less heat than a high stall converter. Keeping upshifts from being too violent is why I run 100% upshift torque management at WOT. Shifts are still 150-200ms so they are plenty fast. Faster with upshift TM engaged 100% than when it's reduced. The biggest key in trans longevity however is getting your delivered torque signal from your ECM correct so that the TCM applies the proper amount of line pressure and does the shift times properly. This is tricky if you're running larger injectors than the OS will accept and feel like you have to scale the MAF to get fueling back in line.
Many thanks for answering PG. I also read the other comments related to the same question.
With this information I feel confident venturing in the next engine/power upgrade with the stock AT!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:37 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a great car and the engine parts are the best.My last build I had the same bottom end ,YOu can't kill those parts.
YOu are brave running the run flats, my hats off to you! Great Mile time.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:49 PM
M M Alexander
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in the process of a 416 (ERL) ECS 1500 A6 build with my Grand Sport - not enough funds in the budget to get after market heads, so the stock LS3 units will have to suffice (for the next year or so anyhow) ... I do not want to put a stall convertor in (though I do run an external cooler with a fan). I'm wondering if you can spec me a cam for that combo???
Old 10-31-2014, 12:03 AM
Patrick G
Instructor

Originally Posted by M M Alexander
I'm in the process of a 416 (ERL) ECS 1500 A6 build with my Grand Sport - not enough funds in the budget to get after market heads, so the stock LS3 units will have to suffice (for the next year or so anyhow) ... I do not want to put a stall convertor in (though I do run an external cooler with a fan). I'm wondering if you can spec me a cam for that combo???
You can run a cam like I have in my signature or I can spec you a custom cam. Just send me a PM and I'll get you the details so we keep this thread on topic.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

This is an awesome build with excellent results. Nice and low-key too, but with the ability to destroy world-class "super cars" costing hundreds of thousands of dollars more. Anyone that can build, tune, and drive a car like this has my utmost respect. Clearly the work of a master craftsman.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:09 AM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I have always enjoyed driving my cars daily rather than having them as dedicated race cars. I am very pleased to report how nicely my 2013 Corvette Grand Sport has turned out. First off, mine is a heavily optioned automatic car. Now before any of you purists dog the car for running an automatic, I must say that this is the fastest shifting automatic car I have ever modified. The shift response after engaging the paddle shifters is immediate.

Here are the details on the car:
Forged 416 LS3 built by LME featuring Wiseco 15cc dished pistons, Callies Compstar rods, and Callies Dragon Slayer Crank. Static compression is 10.0:1.

Cam choice: 222/242 .629/.604" 121LSA +5 advance custom Patrick G cam ground using EPS lobes from Cam Motion. This is a smooth idlling, wife-approved cam that idles at 600 rpm and sounds awesome. Good fuel economy and not a stinky cam.

HK Racing Engines sourced the Trick Flow 255 LS3 heads which were massaged by Greg Good from Houston.
Peak flow numbers were 409cfm at .650" on intake and 263cfm on exhaust. I used the TFS 448lb dual valve springs with Ti retainers. Greg worked primarily on improving the wet flow of the TFS heads as their dry flow is already excellent right out of the box.

Presence Distribution sourced the East Coast Supercharging Paxton Novi 1500 supercharger with restrictor removed. This is the most OEM looking and fitting centrifical supercharger that I've seen for the C6s. With my generous head flow, cam choice, and extra cubes, peak boost is only 11 psi. The fuel system upgrade is the ECS stage one fuel system that utilizes an inline Bosch pump activated by a Hobb switch at 2psi. This is good for over 800rwhp. No boost a pump for my combo. The stock LS3 intake manifold used the stock fuel rails and FIC 850 fuel injectors.

LSX Performance Dyno Tuning sourced the American Racing 1 7/8" long tube headers, no cats and stock 2.5" OEM NPP rear muffler section round out the mods. Kurt Decker applied a really trick Lingenfelter window switch to control the NPP exhaust so it stays closed and quiet at any rpm where throttle position is less than 80%. Above 80% throttle, the extra baffles open and it gets really loud and exotic sounding. I have the mild to wild switch if I want it to be loud all the time.

Assembly of the engine, supercharger and fuel system was handled by Mike Pabone at Late Model Racecraft in Houston. LMR also fabbed up a custom coolant crossover for cylinders 7 & 8 to keep combustion chamber temps in line with the others. LMR also constructed a trick dual hose evac system to keep crankcase pressure under control and to route crankcase gasses to a catch can reservoir at the front of the car.

All tuning was handled by yours truly using both EFI Live and HP Tuners. There are some really important tables that are exclusive to each piece of software so the best tune came from using both programs.

On LMR's dyno, the combo made 719rwhp and 653 rwtq. Here's a video of the dyno run.

http://youtu.be/O6-NXUB0AXc

Keep in mind, this run was performed with only 15 degrees of spark timing, 93 octane, no meth, and 11 psi. Don't forget this is an automatic with stock transmission and stock torque converter. If I want to make over 800rwhp, all I have to do is do a pulley swap, add some race fuel and crank the ignition timing up into the 20 degree range. I plan on racing the car in this upcoming Texas Mile. The car is a highway machine, it gets 23mpg and is super reliable. I give thanks to all parties involved in making this project a reality.
Great build are you using stock fuel lines and are they 3/8ths or 1/2 inch? I have a LS3 427 C3 build and getting ready to plume the fuel lines from the fuel cell. Thanks

Last edited by vstol; 12-06-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Patrick G
Instructor

Originally Posted by vstol
Great build are you using stock fuel lines and are they 3/16ths or 1/2 inch? I have a LS3 427 C3 build and getting ready to plume the fuel lines from the fuel cell. Thanks
Yes, stock fuel lines with returnless fuel pump. Of course, the ECS stage one fuel pump too. Don't know the stock size, but they're nowhere near 1/2".
Old 12-05-2014, 10:07 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

patrick that is a very sweet build..
I run a pro yank in my similar combo..feels totally stock and trans runs 150 all day with an external bm cooler w spal fan
Old 12-08-2014, 07:46 PM
hrt vlv
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Can't imagine a 700 hp DD. When you get hp/weight ratios less than 1/10 you got a time warp machine, they kinda turn the scenery into tracers. The level of attention you must give it 100% all the time. Leaving no time to molest your passenger!

Quick Reply: 700+ rwhp 93 octane daily driver C6 Grand Sport build thread