C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service active handling issue, long story..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service active handling issue, long story..

Hey guys, I've got an issue going on and it's kind of a long story. My motor took in some water from a flooded intersection maybe 3 or 4 inches deep which required me to get a new motor put in. The water was not near high enough to get inside the car, but when my passenger opened his door a truck drove through and splashed the inside leading me to consider the bcm could've gotten wet.. I had a performance shop do the full motor swap and a clutch while they were at it. I got the car back after about a month and the car is running strong as of now. The issue is that the service active handling light is on now intermittently. It comes on at least once a day but then other times no service AH. The other lights such as traction control and abs do not come on it is ONLY the service AH. I had the codes pulled with my buddy's snap on scanner that can read the bcm and it came up with the following codes.

C0035
Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit

C040
Right front wheel speed sensor circuit

C267
Low brake fluid indicated
(Plenty of brake fluid)

C0281
Dynamic rear proportioning performance
( research showed* it sets when 2 wheel speed codes on same axle)

C0561
System disabled information stored

C0136
Base brake system pressure circuit range

My confusion comes from other threads involving the wheel speed sensors. Every thread I have looked at with wheel speed issues throws not only the AH but also throws the traction control and abs so I am confused why mine is only AH...
The car behaves like normal, the braking system works just fine regardless of the brake related codes..

My first guess was that the shop started the new motor to test it prior to putting the car back together so the brakes and related systems would've been off the car and made these codes set? But I called the shop and they say they never started the car until everything was completely back together.

My alignment is off and steering wheel slightly off center which I read can throw the service active handling light, but I feel like it would be a different code if that was the culprit I am getting the car aligned as we speak just to rule it out and being it needs it anyway..

Any idea guys?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The pins in the connectors to the sensors corrode and sometimes lose contact or a second, triggering the code.

If the pins in connectors on the hubs are fine, look at the harness - the section going from the car to the hub can be replace for cheap iirc. Theres a thread somewhere on here with pictures of new vs corroded. what you can do as a fix is bend the pin slightly so it keeps contact. I also suggest doing something to seal the connectors better like adding some dielectric grease to the rubber.

good luck!

Found it:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ed-sensor.html
Originally Posted by cliff_ford
Check the female connectors at both ends of the front harnesses.
The connector on the left is new.

Last edited by el es tu; 08-12-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:41 AM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any kind of instruction on how to check the connection? Never had to look at those before so I don't know where they are or how to access them..?

Why Is it that only the AH light is on? Every thread I have seen with wheel speed issues throws the traction control and abs service lights as well..
Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1quickTXVette
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any kind of instruction on how to check the connection? Never had to look at those before so I don't know where they are or how to access them..?

Why Is it that only the AH light is on? Every thread I have seen with wheel speed issues throws the traction control and abs service lights as well..
behind each hub is the wheel speed sensor - In this image its the gray connector on the left:

no idea why only that light is on - i got all of them when I had this issue. worth it to check it out though.

also do you have the telescoping steering wheel? there were issues with the wiring in that causing ah codes as well.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm putting my money on the EBCM with all those codes... Replaced mine a couple months ago.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Definitely check the telescopic steering connector (or maybe its the steering wheel position sensor connector) under the dash. I never touch that switch to adjust the telescopic steering. I've never had a Service Active Handling warning. Just 2 nights ago while driving I was scratching my right knee and my hand it that switch and moved the steering column out. A mile later I got a Service Active Handling warning for about 2 seconds and it went away. I moved the steering column back to where it was and have not had any more warnings.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:52 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EVRose
Definitely check the telescopic steering connector (or maybe its the steering wheel position sensor connector) under the dash. I never touch that switch to adjust the telescopic steering. I've never had a Service Active Handling warning. Just 2 nights ago while driving I was scratching my right knee and my hand it that switch and moved the steering column out. A mile later I got a Service Active Handling warning for about 2 seconds and it went away. I moved the steering column back to where it was and have not had any more warnings.
Did you get the tsb fix (that secured the wires in the steering column) donep? The part is only 3 or 4 bucks and the labor is only a half hour iirc...

Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

I will check out the wheel hub and see if those connectors are functioning when I can. I kind of have to agree PSP being a computer issue because of all the different codes being present and not just the one, especially being the only light on is the active handling and not the traction control and etc. I took it over to the dealer after my alignment (the alignment didnt fix the issue, but at least it is properly aligned now) I spoke with my usual corvette mechanic over there and showed him the codes it was throwing. He is going to get me in on Thursday morning to check it out and figure out what is going on. He is leaning toward the connector on the traction control module being corroded or wet, or worst case the traction control module is wet and fried it because it is located in the engine bay somewhere so it may have gotten wet. At least it started happening right after I got the car back so that the insurance will still cover it under the flood damage and should pick up the bill if there is evidence of water damage causing it.

I dont think it is related to the steering connection, although that was my initial thought when it started happening because the shop had to remove the steering column for the motor swap, but none of the codes are steering related which would correlate to the steering sensor. This leads me to think it is the traction control module at fault and isnt getting the proper readings it should be so it is throwing the codes.

If you're talking about the TSB that they install a comb to the connector, I have not done that but have read on the forum it only affected the 05/06 models and ever since they added the comb during the building process. Even so, I dont think that would be the cause because none of the codes are related to the steering. All of the codes are related to brake components and the wheel speed sensors. Being those codes should trip the service traction control DIC message and it isn't, it leads me to believe it is the module at fault and not one of the sensors being bad.

It really sucks, but it is what it is. I thought I would have my car back with a new motor and everything be great, but at least I got a new motor and clutch (Mantic 9000) out of the ordeal. He told me if he can get it diagnosed quickly and the part that is bad is in stock he should be able to have it back to me that afternoon, so I am hoping for the best!

If I have time before Thursday I will try to get the wheel hubs off to check the connections, worst case I will just leave it to the dealer to figure out the issue. The mechanic is a good guy and I trusted him in the past which he always did admirable work.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I would also check the big blue connectors that go into the fuse block under the passenger footwell carpet...these have been known to cause a wild array of error codes...it's a fast and easy check.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:23 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Did you get the tsb fix (that secured the wires in the steering column) donep? The part is only 3 or 4 bucks and the labor is only a half hour iirc...

According the GM all recalls were done before I got the car except the roof replacement and I had that one done myself.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive
I would also check the big blue connectors that go into the fuse block under the passenger footwell carpet...these have been known to cause a wild array of error codes...it's a fast and easy check.
I will check that this afternoon, being it only takes a minute. What am I looking for? Just that they are plugged in tight to eachother or looking for water corrosion?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:11 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 1quickTXVette
I will check that this afternoon, being it only takes a minute. What am I looking for? Just that they are plugged in tight to eachother or looking for water corrosion?
Yes, exactly. If it were mine, I would unplug each, spray with contact cleaner and then replace.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
1quickTXVette
Racer

Originally Posted by cclive

Yes, exactly. If it were mine, I would unplug each, spray with contact cleaner and then replace.
Okay I will give it a try and see. I need to unhook the battery prior to doing that I assume?

Get notified of new replies

To Service active handling issue, long story..

Quick Reply: Service active handling issue, long story..