C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:06 AM
SilverRaven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling Fan Fuse

Was driving to work today and the temp got up to 240 right before I shut the engine off. I opened the hood and found the fuse blown. When I attempted to replace the fuse it shattered into small pieces. After digging out most of the fuse body I found that it was melted into the fuse block. Anyone had this happen? I checked the connection at the radiator and that plug is fine. I can't see any other bare wires or other causes. Was able to get a new fuse into the socket and the fans still run. Not sure what I will find when I get home and investigate farther.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you changed the fan settings?

That is a high current circuit when fans are full on (~30 amp) so some corrosion or loose connection of the fuse leads/fuse socket could cause heat at the connection due to the added resistance and be the cause.

Changing the fuse is probably enough but I'd try hitting the contacts with some contact cleaner and then insert/remove the fuse a few times to clean the connection that fried.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Clean those contacts well and also examine them carefully and make sure they are nice and flat and parallel to eachother. You want as much surface area for the connection as possible. Nice flat clean surfaces facing eachother.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 AM
joaquinnparker
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When a electric motor wares out it draws more amps to run . an bloes fuses melts wires switches . an fan motor needs to be replace as soon as possible.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by joaquinnparker
When a electric motor wares out it draws more amps to run . an bloes fuses melts wires switches . an fan motor needs to be replace as soon as possible.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,014 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverRaven
Was driving to work today and the temp got up to 240 right before I shut the engine off. I opened the hood and found the fuse blown. When I attempted to replace the fuse it shattered into small pieces. After digging out most of the fuse body I found that it was melted into the fuse block. Anyone had this happen? I checked the connection at the radiator and that plug is fine. I can't see any other bare wires or other causes. Was able to get a new fuse into the socket and the fans still run. Not sure what I will find when I get home and investigate farther.

Might want check the front of the radiator for debris that may be causing lack of air flow, hence what may have caused the runaway on the heat problem to kick the fan into full on too long to cause the fan fuse to blow in the first place.

Also, would be a good time to check the radiator wire connect just before the fan to make sure that it did not melt as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Fan Fuse

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Fuse