C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the symptons of bad radiator cap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 AM
n_brio
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default what is the symptons of bad radiator cap?

My car is a 2005 m6 and on my way home my water temp started to rise when i got home it was 259F.

My fan is working and i have never had any problem befor.

It looked like the water reservoar was empty so i open the cap --> very bad idea, I swear it was water in there.

Can this be a bad radiator cap?
the water was not boiling until i open the cap.

that can the boiling problem be? bad cap?
Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not a "radiator" cap. The cap on the overflow tank holds the system pressure. If you remove the cap while the engine is hot it will release the pressure as steam or heated water.

Your engine overheating probably wasn't caused by the cap, time to check that the radiator isn't blocked and that the fan is functioning as designed.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM
n_brio
Racer

but if there is something wrong whit the cap and its nog releasing the pressure what happends then?
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by n_brio
but if there is something wrong whit the cap and its nog releasing the pressure what happends then?
It's not supposed to release the pressure unless the engine is cold. It's designed to hold the pressure since the cooling system is designed for pressurized coolant. There's no pressure when the system is cold.

http://autohowstuffworks.com/cooling-system2.htm

Last edited by haljensen; 08-28-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add link
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
It's not supposed to release the pressure unless the engine is cold. It's designed to hold the pressure since the cooling system is designed for pressurized coolant. There's no pressure when the system is cold.

http://autohowstuffworks.com/cooling-system2.htm
Operating under pressure (15 psig or more) raises the boiling point of the coolant assuming water to about 250degF. Without pressure, water boils at 212degF at mean sea level pressure. Big Difference!!!

Webpage that shows a 50/50 mix at 15 psig has a boiling point of 265 degF:

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_temper...a_car_radiator

Last edited by GOLD72; 08-28-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:59 PM
n_brio
Racer

ok then thats not the probelm
and the fans are working the t-stat have like 1300miles can that get stuck?
or is the paddle in the water pump not pumping the water around?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

ok then thats not the probelm
and the fans are working the t-stat have like 1300miles can that get stuck?
or is the paddle in the water pump not pumping the water around?
The thermostat can certainly fail to open wide enough to circulate enough coolant to cool the engine. If nothing appears to be obviously wrong and you did mention that the reservoir was basically empty of liquid when you opened it, I would suggest replacing the reservoir cap as easy and cheap next step in case it is failing to allow the system to pressurize up to spec. Refill the reservoir and get the air purged out of the circulating system. Once the reservoir is empty, air can be drawn into the system and a partially filled system with air will lose cooling capacity. I am assuming you haven't found any obvious coolant leaks like a leaking water pump or radiator or hoses. Hopefully you are not losing coolant into the engine at a head gasket. Once you have the system properly recharged by running the engine and stopping and letting it go through several heating and cooling cycles and refilling the reservoir as needed as the level goes down, normal temperatures should return. If not, suspect a thermostat going bad. If normal temperatures return, I would monitor the reservoir over a period of weeks and months to see if there is a gradual loss of coolant. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 AM
n_brio
Racer

i filled the reservoar up and started the car turned on full heat and filled it with water a few times more but on when it stod on idle the temp rised to 215f very quick. but i can put my hands on the radiator, its warm but not super hot.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:16 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I think you have a bum thermostat that is sticking shut.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

i filled the reservoar up and started the car turned on full heat and filled it with water a few times more but on when it stod on idle the temp rised to 215f very quick. but i can put my hands on the radiator, its warm but not super hot.
215° isn't overheating. Sitting at idle in the summer I frquently see 215°. Most C6's will run between 190° and 215° and vary slightly with outside temperature, traffic and load.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

You need to get a little more methodical in your diagnostic process. Let me summarize a couple of things you have mentioned.

1. The coolant temp went to 259 degrees while you were driving the car.
2. The coolant reservoir looked empty
3. When you removed the cap the coolant in the system boiled
4. When you added water and idled the engine the coolant ran at 215 degrees.
5. You recently had a new thermostat installed.

259 degree coolant temp while driving is excessive and out of the normal range while a 215 degree coolant temp with a full cooling system with the engine idling is a normal temperature.

What could make the temperature swing the way it did? A partially stuck open thermostat which will allow sufficient coolant flow while the engine is idling but not when it is producing power while the car is being driven. However, a thermostat doesn't usually cause the system to lose coolant unless the system boils over from excessive heat. This can be spectacular when it happens and you haven't mentioned seeing it happen. I sort of doubt the thermostat is the problem.

From the things you describe it sounds to me that you have one of two things that could cause your symptoms. First, when the thermostat was installed an air bubble was introduced into the cooling system and not purged properly so you didn't have sufficient coolant. If so you resolved your problem by adding coolant. Second, a cooling system leak that is small enough to maintain some pressure (why coolant boiled when you removed the cap) but allows coolant to leak out (why the reservoir seemed empty). If the reservoir was empty when you were driving there may not have been enough coolant in the system to cool the car properly. This type of problem is usually caused by a slow leak in the water pump or at a hose fitting that isn't tightened properly. Get the car up in the air and look for leaks on every hose and hose end and then look for a leak at the water pump. Feel behind the pump to see if there is some dampness or a sticky feeling. Water pump leaks will drip on the lower pulley and the serpentine belt and the stabilizer bar. You may see a few drips on the floor under the front of the engine after you let the car sit over night.

Bill
Old 08-30-2014, 02:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You need to get a little more methodical in your diagnostic process. Let me summarize a couple of things you have mentioned.

1. The coolant temp went to 259 degrees while you were driving the car.
2. The coolant reservoir looked empty
3. When you removed the cap the coolant in the system boiled
4. When you added water and idled the engine the coolant ran at 215 degrees.
5. You recently had a new thermostat installed.

259 degree coolant temp while driving is excessive and out of the normal range while a 215 degree coolant temp with a full cooling system with the engine idling is a normal temperature.

What could make the temperature swing the way it did? A partially stuck open thermostat which will allow sufficient coolant flow while the engine is idling but not when it is producing power while the car is being driven. However, a thermostat doesn't usually cause the system to lose coolant unless the system boils over from excessive heat. This can be spectacular when it happens and you haven't mentioned seeing it happen. I sort of doubt the thermostat is the problem.

From the things you describe it sounds to me that you have one of two things that could cause your symptoms. First, when the thermostat was installed an air bubble was introduced into the cooling system and not purged properly so you didn't have sufficient coolant. If so you resolved your problem by adding coolant. Second, a cooling system leak that is small enough to maintain some pressure (why coolant boiled when you removed the cap) but allows coolant to leak out (why the reservoir seemed empty). If the reservoir was empty when you were driving there may not have been enough coolant in the system to cool the car properly. This type of problem is usually caused by a slow leak in the water pump or at a hose fitting that isn't tightened properly. Get the car up in the air and look for leaks on every hose and hose end and then look for a leak at the water pump. Feel behind the pump to see if there is some dampness or a sticky feeling. Water pump leaks will drip on the lower pulley and the serpentine belt and the stabilizer bar. You may see a few drips on the floor under the front of the engine after you let the car sit over night.

Bill
As always great information Bill. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM
danieloneil01
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a bad cap that I had to replace because once the car cooled down the driver side radiator hose was sucked in.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:38 PM
n_brio
Racer

Problem solved it was the t-stat thanks everybody

Get notified of new replies

To what is the symptons of bad radiator cap?

Quick Reply: what is the symptons of bad radiator cap?