C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust too loud

Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 PM
SlowvetteLS3
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust too loud

My stock c6 with straight pipes (no mufflers) sounded great and not too over the top on loudness... Then I just finished installing LG headers with X pipe no cats, and holy damn I wake the dead up. Will adding a Corsa or Borla muffler make it even louder? Or what muffler should I get to quiet it down a bit? Is there a huge difference in loudness when it comes to cats vs no cats? Will someone with a similar setup please chime in... thanks
Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't have a similar setup.....but I have AR headers, hi flow cats and Corsa Sports mufflers. It's very loud but not obnoxious. Pleasant to me. Any set of mufflers is bound to quiet yours down somewhat.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM
SlowvetteLS3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Don't have a similar setup.....but I have AR headers, hi flow cats and Corsa Sports mufflers. It's very loud but not obnoxious. Pleasant to me. Any set of mufflers is bound to quiet yours down somewhat.
Looks like I should have gotten some hi flow cats instead of going with the no cats route
Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally when I had my blower put on with KOOKS/offroad and already had Corsa Sport. Sound was frighteningly loud. The odor got to be to much and went to hi flow mid section. The sound reduction was night and day diff. I had to switch to Xtreme to regain some sound. In your case I can only imagine the noise!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:57 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Pretty surprising you're surprised by the decibels your 'track' setup Corvette is full on race car loud.

Try NPP. with one of the switches you can open and close as you choose. When open it will be nearly as loud as it is now but closed it will sound so much tamer and quiet enough to drive in a funeral procession, as I have for my buddy's dad.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:10 PM
SlowvetteLS3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by NYC6
Pretty surprising you're surprised by the decibels your 'track' setup Corvette is full on race car loud.

Try NPP. with one of the switches you can open and close as you choose. When open it will be nearly as loud as it is now but closed it will sound so much tamer and quiet enough to drive in a funeral procession, as I have for my buddy's dad.
I just never thought it would be this loud. It sounds amazing if I were at the track but for street use I know for a fact I will get pulled over and ticketed. This is why I held up on installing my cam kit for now. I will try the NPP and see how that works
Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM
SlowvetteLS3
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by saplumr
Originally when I had my blower put on with KOOKS/offroad and already had Corsa Sport. Sound was frighteningly loud. The odor got to be to much and went to hi flow mid section. The sound reduction was night and day diff. I had to switch to Xtreme to regain some sound. In your case I can only imagine the noise!
Yep the odor is another downside, its so obvious im running a no cat setup
Old 08-30-2014, 01:02 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Member vette217 is running strait pipes with cats and it sounds awesome... Can you add cats? That may be cheaper than changing out the mufflers
Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM
telly444
Racer

I just had my high flow cats gutted. no gas smell and sounds great. B&B LT's with bullet mufflers
Old 08-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Turbo2L
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by telly444
I just had my high flow cats gutted. no gas smell and sounds great. B&B LT's with bullet mufflers
Gutted cats will produce the same eye burning combustion smells that off-road or no cats will. That's one of the functions of the catalyst.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by telly444
OK....what's the punchline??
Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM
chevyguy3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cats will definitely quiet it down. If you decide to put some back on it, I am in Houston and have a practically brand new pair of LG Motorsports high flow cats that should be a direct fit for your headers and X-pipe. Only about 100 miles on them. PM me if interested. Also have a Corsa Extreme exhaust laying around but it is for 2005-2008, assuming you have a 2009-up going by your screen name.

Without cats, even the Corsa Extreme is pretty damn loud. Would certainly be quieter than straight pipes though. With cats it sounded great and had no drone at all.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:29 AM
dev1360
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have longtubes Catless X and NPP. It's perfect. I previously had Corsa Sport and it was obnoxious all of the time. NPP is a perfect middle area.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowvetteLS3
Looks like I should have gotten some hi flow cats instead of going with the no cats route
I agree....
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowvetteLS3
Taking cats out of the system is huge difference in sound. ...had bassani cat back exhaust (sounded amazing), then added lt kooks headers and no cats......still awesome sounding to everyone who doesn't have to ride in the car with it....lol. drone will just about kill you....but sure dounds great!

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 09-04-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

I have the same setup, but with NPP mufflers. It's barely louder than stock in closed mode, but when you open it up, it will roar.

I like it a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust too loud

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust too loud