C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brey Krause Tow Hook on an NPP C6 GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:46 AM
GM TECH
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brey Krause Tow Hook on an NPP C6 GS

http://www.bkauto.com/category_s/172.htm

Anyone out there mount one of these tow hooks on an NPP exhaust equipped C6?

Cheers - Major Boyd
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't have a BK but one that is similar. It is a major PIA. The plate is fastened to the two inner bolt holes that are used to hold the muffler hanging bracket in place. The muffler, rear fascia and the muffler valves will cause grief, cut fingers and a strong blue atmosphere. Send the kids to a movie.

Bill
Old 08-30-2014, 11:20 AM
GM TECH
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't have a BK but one that is similar. It is a major PIA. The plate is fastened to the two inner bolt holes that are used to hold the muffler hanging bracket in place. The muffler, rear fascia and the muffler valves will cause grief, cut fingers and a strong blue atmosphere. Send the kids to a movie.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Just what I suspected, but we gotta have a tow hook so forward we go.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I take about 5 minutes on a car that does not have NPP.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:25 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Originally Posted by timd38
I take about 5 minutes on a car that does not have NPP.

.......................well that's cool, but I'm looking for feedback on an NPP equipped C6.

Cheers - Major Boyd
Old 09-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Treadhead
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed a Pfadt tow hook, mounts the same. Talk about a MAJOR PITA. Had to take the mufflers off the hangers, and loosen the tubes to be able to wiggle them enough, and even then just barely. Took two of us and literally right around 4 hours of swearing and rolling around on my back every which way to be able to get the nuts started, and finally finish the "easy" install. I didnt have a lift to do it, so that might make it easier, and doing it without th mufflers installed would definitely make it easier.

Good luck, have fun, be prepared to be frustrated.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Originally Posted by Treadhead
I installed a Pfadt tow hook, mounts the same. Talk about a MAJOR PITA. Had to take the mufflers off the hangers, and loosen the tubes to be able to wiggle them enough, and even then just barely. Took two of us and literally right around 4 hours of swearing and rolling around on my back every which way to be able to get the nuts started, and finally finish the "easy" install. I didnt have a lift to do it, so that might make it easier, and doing it without th mufflers installed would definitely make it easier.

Good luck, have fun, be prepared to be frustrated.
Thanks for the info Treadhead. Sounds like it's going to be worse than the CF diffuser install that almost cost me my religion.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I spent about 1 hour installing a similar hook on my Vette with the NPP exhaust.
I not really sure how the bolts found their way back into the frame, but I used more positions than are included in any sex guide.

Oh, and the bolt pattern for a regular C6 is a different width than for the Z06 or ZR-1, I found that out the hard way.

Last edited by Suds; 09-02-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Originally Posted by Suds
I spent about 1 hour installing a similar hook on my Vette with the NPP exhaust.
I not really sure how the bolts found their way back into the frame, but I used more positions than are included in any sex guide.
Oh yes, the mechanics' Kama Sutra guide for Corvette owners.

Originally Posted by Suds
Oh, and the bolt pattern for a regular C6 is a different width than for the Z06 or ZR-1, I found that out the hard way.
Didn't know that...........hope it will fit my Grand Sport. It is similar to the Z06 dimensionally , so maybe it will fit.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:53 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

GMTECH: Did it fit?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
GMTECH: Did it fit?
Yes it fit. Easy if you have the rear diffuser removed, which I did to install my 5 point roll cage. With my lowered car hooked up with ZR1 splitter and side skirts, the tow hooks are mandatory. You'll never get my car up on a flat bed tow truck without these tow hooks. If you try you will be buying new carbon fiber aero parts. The track I use requires tow hooks also.

Cheers - Major Boyd
Old 10-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

It's not rocket science guys! Use a set of jack stands to push the muffs up slightly to ease tension on the hangers. An extension with a swivel on it is your friend. Oh - wear gloves to.

So easy, a caveman can do it!
Old 10-11-2014, 12:07 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
It's not rocket science guys! Use a set of jack stands to push the muffs up slightly to ease tension on the hangers. An extension with a swivel on it is your friend. Oh - wear gloves to.

So easy, a caveman can do it!
Well it is fireworks science, if you have an aftermarket rear diffuser. Thanks for your constructive, if somewhat arrogant help.

Please post a pic of your installed tow hook.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GM TECH
......if somewhat arrogant help...........
Call it what you will, but nut & bolt tightening is very basic........don't you think!

..........and your screen name is GM TECH............

Next time you're in central Arkansas stop in and I'll install it for you.

BYOB!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:41 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks guys! Let you know how the install goes.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Update: I was just examining mine and you will need a 1/2" gear wrench to loosen the bolts.........preferably an angled one.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:09 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Call it what you will, but nut & bolt tightening is very basic........don't you think!

..........and your screen name is GM TECH............

Next time you're in central Arkansas stop in and I'll install it for you.

BYOB!
What I failed to share in my first post, was that Brey Krause, the manufacturer, wasn't sure this tow hook would fit anything but a base C6. I didn't know if the muffler mounting dimensions were the same for a GS and neither did they. So I thought the guys on this forum could help if any ZR1, Z06 or GS owners had installed this tow hook on their rides. My request has nothing to do with the wrenching but everything to do with the dimensioning.

My screen name is GM Tech 'cuz I graduated from the GM co-op engineering program with a BS in Mechanical Engineering in 1962. The school in Flint, Michigan is now called Kettering University.

I've wrenched for a lot of years and even had the pleasure of working a project with Arkus Duntov. Your input is welcome, but I didn't state the issue properly, so I got the answer you provided.

Cheers - Major Boyd
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by GM TECH
What I failed to share in my first post, was that Brey Krause, the manufacturer, wasn't sure this tow hook would fit anything but a base C6. I didn't know if the muffler mounting dimensions were the same for a GS and neither did they.
I'm late to the party but for future reference if someone does a search, the dimensions are the same between the base, Z cars, and the GS. It's the reason you can bolt on NPP mufflers to a base car or GS not originally equipped with them (albeit with a midpipe change for the early base cars due to the angle of the midpipe ). Likewise you can bolt up a Z06 or ZR1 bi-modal exhaust system using all the factory mounting points as well. My '13 GS has a mix of '12/'13 LS7/9 exhaust parts from the manifolds to muffler tips. Bolted right in

Get notified of new replies

To Brey Krause Tow Hook on an NPP C6 GS

Quick Reply: Brey Krause Tow Hook on an NPP C6 GS